c.l.dylan overlap with Dylan mailing lists?
Author Message
 c.l.dylan overlap with Dylan mailing lists?

Now that comp.lang.dylan (finally) exists, can I safely unsubscribe
from the info-dylan and/or the dylan-builders mailing lists?  I find
newsgroups more convenient than mailing lists, but I wouldn't want to
miss anything.

brian
--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~     _______    _____     ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Brian A. Cole                 |_   _  |  |  ___|    Most people think disc golf

  ...!uwvax!cs.wisc.edu!tuc     |_| |__________|    That gives us the element
                                                    of surprise.

Sun, 02 Jul 1995 01:16:56 GMT
 c.l.dylan overlap with Dylan mailing lists?

Quote:
>Now that comp.lang.dylan (finally) exists, can I safely unsubscribe
>from the info-dylan and/or the dylan-builders mailing lists?  I find
>newsgroups more convenient than mailing lists, but I wouldn't want to
>miss anything.

The management here may want to emulate the info-mcl lists
whereas everything that gets forwarded to the mailing list is
posted to the newsgroup and vice-versa.

I believe that everything that gets forwarded to info-dylan should
be posted to the newsgroup, but articles posted to comp.lang.dylan
should not be forwarded to the info-dylan mailing list. info-dylan
is not moderated and there is enough noise as it is.

I welcome any comments, but please bear in mind that management here
has final say and there is the possibility that someone at some other
site may go ahead and set up a bidirectional gateway between info-dylan
and comp.lang.dylan.

If you wish to subscribe or unsubscribe to info-dylan, send mail

"subscribe info-dylan" or "unsubscribe info-dylan" in the BODY
of the message (the subject is ignored).

message "help" to get more information.

Sean Brunnock

Sun, 02 Jul 1995 22:58:15 GMT
 c.l.dylan overlap with Dylan mailing lists?

   Now that comp.lang.dylan (finally) exists, can I safely unsubscribe
   from the info-dylan and/or the dylan-builders mailing lists?  I find
   newsgroups more convenient than mailing lists, but I wouldn't want to
   miss anything.

We will be setting up a two-way gateway between the comp.lang.dylan

take a couple of weeks to get this in place.  In the mean time, mail
sent to info-dylan will be forwarded to comp.lang.dylan, but messages
posted to comp.lang.dylan will not be forwarded to info-dylan.

If you currently subscribe to info-dylan and wish to be removed, send

info-dylan" in the BODY of the message (the subject is ignored).

  -Andrew

Mon, 03 Jul 1995 03:16:24 GMT
 c.l.dylan overlap with Dylan mailing lists?

Has anyone got Thomas running under MacScheme?  I'm having problems with
the weak-pair,weak-car,weak-cdr, etc, which are not implemented in
MacScheme.  I using the generic source files for Thomas, and trying to
figure out the portable source.

Markus

Mon, 03 Jul 1995 08:12:59 GMT
 c.l.dylan overlap with Dylan mailing lists?
Quote:

>Has anyone got Thomas running under MacScheme?  I'm having problems with
>the weak-pair,weak-car,weak-cdr, etc, which are not implemented in
>MacScheme.  I using the generic source files for Thomas, and trying to
>figure out the portable source.

>Markus

Well, you can try to get Gambit and run thomas under it. I do not know
about the nonstandard features of MacScheme so I cannot help, but
Gambit is terribly well implemented and is a joy to work with it.
Several people here prefer gambit to MacScheme, but again we have a way
oooold version of it here at uni.
Hope it can help you at least to *run* it. You can get Gambit from
sumex-aim.stanford.edu or trex.iro.umontreal.ca by anon ftp.
the last site is the place where the distribution originates. You can
get the whole system, with interpreter, compiler, simple debugging and
tracing facilities, a linker, and THomas already compiled (You can use
Thomas on a 2meg system, but You cannot compile it without 8-10 megs
of ram)
Cheers
Roberto Avanzi

Mon, 03 Jul 1995 16:15:56 GMT
 c.l.dylan overlap with Dylan mailing lists?
I haven't been able to get the MacGambit tracer to work when
using Thomas.  Also, when a run-time error is caught, MacGambit
just escapes to the top-level read-eval-print loop.  Is there
some way to examine the stack, from the the location where the
error occurred?

---
Thomas F. Gordon
GMD, FIT; Artificial Intelligence Research Division
5205 Sankt Augustin 1 / Germany

Mon, 03 Jul 1995 16:24:04 GMT
 c.l.dylan overlap with Dylan mailing lists?

Quote:

>I haven't been able to get the MacGambit tracer to work when
>using Thomas.  Also, when a run-time error is caught, MacGambit
>just escapes to the top-level read-eval-print loop.  Is there
>some way to examine the stack, from the the location where the
>error occurred?

>---
>Thomas F. Gordon

Well, it depends on Thomas, not MacGambit. As far as I know there is not
a de{*filter*} in Thomas. If you could drop outside Thomas into Scheme you
could examine the stack of the Thomas interpreter, which is a Scheme
program. So you would not find nothing wrong, because the Thomas interpreter
is right when it says that a run-time error has occurred. Examining
the stack would display Scheme's stack, not THomas'... Again, Even if
the repl permitted to go to the Scheme repl (sorry for the pun) you
could get nothing unless you recompile the sources for Thomas with debug
info enabled. You need large ram to do that, do have at least 8-10 megs
or recompile the object on a machine running gambit , or MIT Scheme, and
download the object files to the mac. You should probably have
to hack the repl which is contained in the distribution with Gambit, or
wait until the people at DEC add a de{*filter*} to Thomas. I do not know
the behaviour under Un*x boxes, but i believe nothing should change.

#  Cheers
#  Roberto Avanzi

#  "Those from Italy send you their greetings" (Hebrews 13:24-NIV)
#           "Wer nicht liebt Wein, Weib und Gesang,
#            der Bleibt ein Narr sein Leben lang." (Martin Luther)

Mon, 03 Jul 1995 19:20:48 GMT

1. (fwd) harlequin's dylan-corba mailing list switching to MIT's info-dylan

2. info-dylan mailing list vs. newsgroup

3. Gwydion Dylan mailing lists down (temporary)

4. Dylan mailing lists

5. Dylan Mailing List

6. Getting on Dylan mailing list?

7. Unhandled Dylan error when moving out an overlapped window

8. archives of info-dylan/comp.lang.dylan available

9. Dylan vs DyLan

10. lazy.dylan 0.1 -- add ML/Scheme-style lazy evaluation to Dylan

11. Dylan and Java [was: Harlequin Dylan - Update]

12. Dylan Programming Book and Apple Dylan