problem with DUIM at higher resolutions
Author Message
 problem with DUIM at higher resolutions

I've written an application that acts very well behaved with screen
resolutions up to and including 1024x768. If I increase my screen
resolution, then the buttons on dialogs don't appear and I have to use
the key-strokes to close pop-ups and such (after I remember what they
are ...).

Has anyone else seen this probelm? Am I not using DUIM properly, so
that it can't cope with the higher resolutions? Any patches for
something like this?

Thanks in advancd to all of the dedicated Dylan enthusiasts.

Ron Franke-Polz

Sun, 17 Jul 2005 00:08:10 GMT
 problem with DUIM at higher resolutions

Quote:

> Has anyone else seen this probelm? Am I not using DUIM properly, so
> that it can't cope with the higher resolutions? Any patches for
> something like this?

I've not seen it myself but then I've never run at higher than
1024x768. Wish I had a machine capable of running higher than that
:-). Must be time to upgrade...

Chris.

Sun, 17 Jul 2005 18:02:03 GMT
 problem with DUIM at higher resolutions
I don't have time to investigate this right now, but I would be glad
to zip up the DUIM sources and send them to you if you feel like
debugging some windows code.

I am a little surprised that you are seeing this sort of problem, since
we did spend some effort making this sort of thing work.  But I'm
not incredibly surprised, because we didn't test it with high res.

Quote:
> I've written an application that acts very well behaved with screen
> resolutions up to and including 1024x768. If I increase my screen
> resolution, then the buttons on dialogs don't appear and I have to use
> the key-strokes to close pop-ups and such (after I remember what they
> are ...).

> Has anyone else seen this probelm? Am I not using DUIM properly, so
> that it can't cope with the higher resolutions? Any patches for
> something like this?

> Thanks in advancd to all of the dedicated Dylan enthusiasts.

> Ron Franke-Polz

Sun, 17 Jul 2005 21:48:20 GMT
 problem with DUIM at higher resolutions
Hi,

FTR My DUIM programs work fine on 1280x1024 (Windows XP Home).

BTW If you are using FunDev then the IDE is written in DUIM. Does that work
on your higher resolutions? What about the example DUIM projects? What about
other Win32 applications on your system? DUIM just uses Win32 to do its
work.

__Jason

> I've written an application that acts very well behaved with screen
> resolutions up to and including 1024x768. If I increase my screen
> resolution, then the buttons on dialogs don't appear and I have to use
> the key-strokes to close pop-ups and such (after I remember what they
> are ...).

> Has anyone else seen this probelm? Am I not using DUIM properly, so
> that it can't cope with the higher resolutions? Any patches for
> something like this?

> Thanks in advancd to all of the dedicated Dylan enthusiasts.

> Ron Franke-Polz

Mon, 18 Jul 2005 06:24:18 GMT
 problem with DUIM at higher resolutions
Following Scott's suggestion, I tried the Dylan IDE at the higher
resolution and all was in order. Which leads me to believe that the
problem is self-inflicted, which is usually the case.

Where the problem shows up is in a pop-up editor I created using
Deuce. I built the pop-up by first creating a Deuce editor frame and
then creating a new pop-up by multiply inheriting from Deuce editor
frame and a <dialog-frame>. While this works (for the most part), I
have been having some problems with it in the past. I suspect my
problem now is the result of my not creating a pop-up editor correctly
in the first place.

Here's the base code shell for my pop-up:

// ********************************************************
// <m6-deuce>
// ********************************************************
// - a simple editor for use with the M6 language
// ********************************************************

define frame <m6-deuce> (<basic-editor-frame>, <simple-frame>)

  // all of the various pane definitions ...

  // -----------------------------------------------------------
  // Layout
  // -----------------------------------------------------------
  layout (frame)
    vertically (spacing: 4)
      make(<separator>, orientation: #"horizontal");
      frame.task-tool-bar;
      scrolling (scroll-bars: #"dynamic")
        frame.editor;
      end;
    end;

  status-bar (frame)
    frame.editor-task-bar;

  command-table (frame)
    *editor-main-command-table*;

  keyword title: = "FM6 Simple Editor";

end frame <m6-deuce>;

// ********************************************************
// <m6-deuce-popup>
// ********************************************************
// - a simple popup editor for use with the M6 language
// ********************************************************

define frame <m6-deuce-popup> (<dialog-frame>, <m6-deuce>)

end frame;

So, it looks like my best strategy is to create a new/better pop-up
editor, figuring out how to make it properly with Deuce.

Cheers,
Ron Franke-Polz

Quote:

> > I've written an application that acts very well behaved with screen
> > resolutions up to and including 1024x768. If I increase my screen
> > resolution, then the buttons on dialogs don't appear and I have to use
> > the key-strokes to close pop-ups and such (after I remember what they
> > are ...).

> > Has anyone else seen this probelm? Am I not using DUIM properly, so
> > that it can't cope with the higher resolutions? Any patches for
> > something like this?

> > Thanks in advancd to all of the dedicated Dylan enthusiasts.

> > Ron Franke-Polz

Mon, 18 Jul 2005 22:15:54 GMT
 problem with DUIM at higher resolutions
I think you might be better off creating a functional interface to
something that builds a dialog frame that has a Deuce window
as a child.  Maybe you already did, and that didn't work.

<dialog-frame>, IIRC, is "mirrored" by a Windows gadget at
some level, so I'm surprised it works at all!

Quote:
> Following Scott's suggestion, I tried the Dylan IDE at the higher
> resolution and all was in order. Which leads me to believe that the
> problem is self-inflicted, which is usually the case.

> Where the problem shows up is in a pop-up editor I created using
> Deuce. I built the pop-up by first creating a Deuce editor frame and
> then creating a new pop-up by multiply inheriting from Deuce editor
> frame and a <dialog-frame>. While this works (for the most part), I
> have been having some problems with it in the past. I suspect my
> problem now is the result of my not creating a pop-up editor correctly
> in the first place.

> Here's the base code shell for my pop-up:

> // ********************************************************
> // <m6-deuce>
> // ********************************************************
> // - a simple editor for use with the M6 language
> // ********************************************************

> define frame <m6-deuce> (<basic-editor-frame>, <simple-frame>)

>   // all of the various pane definitions ...

>   // -----------------------------------------------------------
>   // Layout
>   // -----------------------------------------------------------
>   layout (frame)
>     vertically (spacing: 4)
>       make(<separator>, orientation: #"horizontal");
>       frame.task-tool-bar;
>       scrolling (scroll-bars: #"dynamic")
>         frame.editor;
>       end;
>     end;

>   status-bar (frame)
>     frame.editor-task-bar;

>   command-table (frame)
>     *editor-main-command-table*;

>   keyword title: = "FM6 Simple Editor";

> end frame <m6-deuce>;

> // ********************************************************
> // <m6-deuce-popup>
> // ********************************************************
> // - a simple popup editor for use with the M6 language
> // ********************************************************

> define frame <m6-deuce-popup> (<dialog-frame>, <m6-deuce>)

> end frame;

> So, it looks like my best strategy is to create a new/better pop-up
> editor, figuring out how to make it properly with Deuce.

> Cheers,
> Ron Franke-Polz

> > > I've written an application that acts very well behaved with screen
> > > resolutions up to and including 1024x768. If I increase my screen
> > > resolution, then the buttons on dialogs don't appear and I have to use
> > > the key-strokes to close pop-ups and such (after I remember what they
> > > are ...).

> > > Has anyone else seen this probelm? Am I not using DUIM properly, so
> > > that it can't cope with the higher resolutions? Any patches for
> > > something like this?

> > > Thanks in advancd to all of the dedicated Dylan enthusiasts.

> > > Ron Franke-Polz

Tue, 19 Jul 2005 08:52:22 GMT

1. High (higher) resolution timing

2. VisualWorks 2.0, OS/2 and high resolution screens

3. CW2.003 Window Resizing not saving size on high resolution monitor

4. High frequency and resolution with 6036E

5. high-resolution RDE screenshot needed

6. higher-resolution Time for Win32

7. High resolution timer wanted

8. High-resolution graphics

9. Higher Resolutions (640x480)

10. High resolution

11. AT high-resolution timer

12. Looking for high-resolution PC hardware clock