Apple's FTP
Author Message
 Apple's FTP

Apple's FTP site has a directory for Dylan stuff.  In it, I found a Mindy
from 1995, and something called Marlais 0.5.4.  What are these?

(Site is
<ftp:://ftp.apple.com/developer/Tool_Chest/Development_Platforms/Dylan_Related>)

-- Agent

Fri, 18 Jan 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Apple's FTP

Quote:

> Apple's FTP site has a directory for Dylan stuff.  In it, I found a Mindy
> from 1995, and something called Marlais 0.5.4.  What are these?

That's probably the Mindy 1.4 that worked with CodeWarrior 7.  Which was
pretty cool but the current Mindy is much better, and you'd never find a
copy of CW7 to try it on (well, I have one on CD, but I havne't used it in
years).

Mindy is a byte-code compiler/interpreter combo, much like javac/java.
It's command-line only (no IDE), but is powerfull and reliable enough to
compile and run the "d2c" Dylan-to-C compiler (slowly) to bootstrap d2c on
systems without an existing Dylan compiler.

You'd be better off to get the latest MacMindy from
<http://www.gwydiondylan.org>.

MacMarlais is an interpreter for Dylan.  It's not complete, but has a
quite nice IDE -- essentially identical to things like MacGambit (a Scheme
interpreter).

In the 1995 timeframe I personally thought that MacMarlais was better than
Mindy for experimenting with Dylan.  On the other hand, Mindy could be
used to write real Macintosh applications even back then.

d2c would be even better (<http://www.gwydiondylan.org>) but it doesn't
run on the Mac (yet?).

-- Bruce

Sat, 19 Jan 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Apple's FTP

 > MacMarlais is an interpreter for Dylan.  It's not complete, but has a
 > quite nice IDE -- essentially identical to things like MacGambit (a
Scheme
 > interpreter).

Two things I loved about MacMarlais and why it's still on my disk albiet
unused.
First it allowed either prefix or infix syntax, but more importantly
Patrick added drag and drop support for expressions. You could code in one
window or an external editor like BBEdit, select the text, drop it on the
Marlais listener window and watch it execute.

This was something I felt was better than even being able to run a split
window code and process in emacs, which I can't do on the Macintosh anyway.
Drag and drop expression execution is something I'd like to see in a future
release or MacGambit-C or  better still, future Macintosh Dylan
implementations.

((lambda (args) (display args)) "
   Robert D. Skeels       | Los Angeles illustrator, designer

Sat, 19 Jan 2002 03:00:00 GMT

1. {ftp,www}.cambridge.apple.com is back

2. ftp.cambridge.apple.com where are you?

3. I can't ftp ftp.smli.com

4. Apple's Dylan's FAQ postable?

5. LOGO-L> Apple Logo - for Apple IIe

6. Squeak FTP site established: ftp://ftp.create.ucsb.edu/pub/Smalltalk/Squeak

7. My ftp site (ftp://ftp.iag.net/pub/clipper)

8. FTP'ing and FAX'ing from within C4b

9. expect, ftp and '@'

10. apple's 1985 smalltalk

11. apple's 1985 smalltalk