Amelio's speech at WWDC
Author Message
 Amelio's speech at WWDC

Quote:

>A Macworld article covering Amelio's opening speech at the WWDC said that
>he promised Apple would spend "$18 million to make Macintosh programming
>better".  The article did not define "better".  (Of course, what could be
>better than Dylan.)

  Ah but Apple has to support/develop :

        1. MrC and MrCpp  two highly optimizing, max performance C/C++
                compilers. ( like Motorola's SDK  and IBM's xl* class
                optimizers ).
        2. MPW Shell and associated Tools  ( support for SourceServer in
                particular has been distrubingly lacking in vigor. )
        3. MacApp  ( which is being "resuscitated" )
        4. OpenDoc / Open Doc Parts Framework
        5. Netwon developing tools
        6. Oh yeah the mysterious Denali, a Visual Basic clone for Open Doc
                .. which is still in the "its coming real soon now" stage.

  That's probably  enough to encompass most, if not all, of the $18 million
  right there. They cut the prices on ETO and the MPW compiler suite so at
  least they are trying to use developer tools to generate "profit revenue"
  anymore. I'm not sure how close those "products" as a group are to operating
  at "break even" on Apple's books. It is very likely that the OpenDoc and
  Newton stuff aren't even close to "break even".

  Not to mention what increasing the staffing of DTS might cost or the new
  "documentation" that must be delivered for MacOS 8 (a.k.a. Copland).

  I wouldn't read any sort of "revival" into this annoucement concerning Dylan.
  Like stated in the message about putting Dylan into suspended animation,
  right now apple has lots of "tool development" projects and a lot less
  money to spend on them all.

  Although I must say that since Apple seems fit to take 'Cocoa' ( formerly
  KidSim ) commericial that it is peculiar indeed that they sit on their
  butts on Dylan.  For if providing a tool for Kids to develop Internet
  Applets with is "important", I'm not sure why delivering Dylan-like
  technology wouldn't be to "grown up" developers.

  If they aren't going to do anything with it sell it at a fire sale price to
  someone (e.g.  Harlequin or Digitool ) and be done with it.

'WWDC related press releases...'
http://www.*-*-*.com/

'Cocoa'
http://www.*-*-*.com/

'Tool Price Reductions'
http://www.*-*-*.com/

--
Lyman S. Taylor           Comment by a professor observing two students

                                "That's the trouble with graduate students.
                                 Every couple of days, they fall asleep."

Fri, 30 Oct 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 Amelio's speech at WWDC

:   I wouldn't read any sort of "revival" into this annoucement concerning Dylan.
:   Like stated in the message about putting Dylan into suspended animation,
:   right now apple has lots of "tool development" projects and a lot less
:   money to spend on them all.

:   If they aren't going to do anything with it sell it at a fire sale price to
:   someone (e.g.  Harlequin or Digitool ) and be done with it.

I completely agree there. The frustrating thing is knowing that there's
what appears to be a very nice Dylan 68K/PowerPC compiler out there (that
would be head and shoulders above the rest if given a bit of work),
but that it's sitting on a WORM optical disk somewhere in Cupertino.

For example, Dylan and the BeBox are two of the coolest things I've
seen in a long time. I've got the latter. The former is looking more
and more like a pipe dream, unfortunately.

If Apple would release their compiler in such a way that I could see
it as a series of relatively simple hooks into C++, I'd be more than
happy (I'd *love*) to write something like the Dylan environment and
source database, et al. for the BeBox. It may never ever come close
to generating significant revenue for anyone, but it would be an
incredible chance for a lot of people to see what modern technology
can *really* do (and why Microsoft Visual C++ on Windows95 isn't
the best there is.)

I know it's a pipe dream, but I'd  love to do such a thing. I'd do
it for C++ if it were possible, but the preprocessing thing makes it
an intractable problem.

                                        / ag

Sun, 01 Nov 1998 03:00:00 GMT

1. Oberon microsystems at Apple's WWDC

2. Source of Tony Hoare's Ada speech

3. Tcl'98: Dr. Ousterhout State of Tcl speech

4. Kay's speech and the LISPian book

5. WWDC pass for Students

6. Apple Dylan discussions at WWDC

7. Dylan WWDC video tapes?

8. Dylan at Apple WWDC

9. Dylan at WWDC

10. Dylan at Apple WWDC Report?

11. Smalltalk at Apple WWDC? (QKS responds)

12. Smalltalk at Apple WWDC?