another Dylan implementation?
Author Message
 another Dylan implementation?

Is there a "Visual Dylan" inside Microsoft?

Mon, 04 Sep 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 another Dylan implementation?

Almost certainly no. MS doesn't like develop tools for languages they don't use
and going to Java was a hassle enough.

Quote:

>Is there a "Visual Dylan" inside Microsoft?

muzo

Thu, 07 Sep 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 another Dylan implementation?

    : Is there a "Visual Dylan" inside Microsoft?

I hope not.

Apart from quality, just imagine the acronym :-)

--
  Paul Menon

Fri, 08 Sep 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 another Dylan implementation?

Quote:

>Is there a "Visual Dylan" inside Microsoft?

I imagine Microsoft could buy Harlequin with the corporate "petty cash" fund.
That would put an implemenation of Dylan "inside" Microsoft.  Of course
it wouldn't be "another" implementation. :-(

Harlequin's website states that they are in beta testing, so perhaps
there is a possibility...  However, that isn't exactly another implementation
either. It does place Dylan "inside" of Microsoft without assimilation.

BillG did say some favorable things about Dylan back when Apple was working
on it, but that was before Java became a phenomenon.  And I imagine
there are a few folks inside who wouldn't mind working on a Dylan
implementation.  However, given the roles Basic, Java, and C++ have
been assigned... it would be a peculiar move, IMHO, for them to make
commercially.  Microsoft takes "ventures" that have huge potential
economic "momentum" and turns that momentum towards their own bank account.
They usually don't get involved with "bleeding edge" technology outside
the bounds of the mainstream "hype".

As a "skunks works" research project... maybe. Mere mortals my have a
problem getting their hands on it though.

--

Lyman S. Taylor              "We are Microsoft.

                                  resistance is futile.
                                        Prepare to be assimilated."
                                .sig seen while netsurfing the Internet.

Sun, 10 Sep 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 another Dylan implementation?

Quote:

> >Is there a "Visual Dylan" inside Microsoft?
> BillG did say some favorable things about Dylan back when Apple was working
> on it, but that was before Java became a phenomenon.

I'm just asking because I read a Springer book catalog, and
the description about their Dylan Book mentioned a Visual Dylan
from Microsoft. So I think there isn't such an implementation
and it was just a mistake.

--
http://www.lavielle.com/~joswig/

Sun, 10 Sep 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 another Dylan implementation?

: Is there a "Visual Dylan" inside Microsoft?

I don't know. I'm still waiting for Visual Intercal.

Mon, 25 Sep 2000 03:00:00 GMT

1. Dylan implementation question

2. Free Dylan implementations?

3. Dylan implementation tips

4. Status of Dylan implementations

5. Status of Dylan implementations

6. Which public domain Dylan implementation ?

7. Dylan Implementations

8. Dylan Implementations

9. Where is dylan implementation?

10. Dylan-implementation in CL?