Accessors (Summary and Suggested Appoach)
Author Message
 Accessors (Summary and Suggested Appoach)

Quote:
>Transframe's accessor operators are defined in referential
>class. For example:

>  class smart is referential#(exact ObjectType: type of any)
>  {
>     function operator . (): ObjectType;
>     function operator := (ObjectType);
>  }

With CLOS's meta-object protocol, you can define different meta-classes
which can have different getter and setter semantics.  E.g., (a sketch):

(defclass remote-class (standard-class) ())

(defmethod slot-value-using-class ((class remote-class) instance slot-name)
  (rpc:with-transaction (find-rpc-for-instance instance)
     (rpc:slot-value instance slot-name)))

(defmethod (setf slot-value-using-class)
    (new-value (class remote-class) instance slot-name)
  (rpc:with-transaction (find-rpc-for-instance instance)
    (rpc:setf-slot-value new-value instance slot-name)))

The meta-object protocol goes beyond just redefining getters and setters.
I think that may show that "referentialness" is not the key, but
understanding that slot access is a piece of the meta-object protocol.

---
P. Tucker Withington, Harlequin Inc., One Cambridge Center, Cambridge MA 02142
Phone: +1 617 374 2557       Fax: +1 617 252 6505      "Honk if you love GC's"
Dylan Programming:  <URL: http://www.*-*-*.com/ ;

Mon, 22 Nov 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Accessors (Summary and Suggested Appoach)

Transframe supports meta protocols. But references are not
meta objects. Only classes are meta objects in Transframe.
For example, object instantiation protocols are meta
protocols which takes a class as input and output
an instance of that class. Specific object instantiations
like process  or transaction creations and communication
handshakes can be defined in this kind of meta protocols.

David

Mon, 22 Nov 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Accessors (Summary and Suggested Appoach)

Quote:
>Transframe supports meta protocols. But references are not
>meta objects. Only classes are meta objects in Transframe.
>For example, object instantiation protocols are meta
>protocols which takes a class as input and output
>an instance of that class. Specific object instantiations
>like process  or transaction creations and communication
>handshakes can be defined in this kind of meta protocols.

CLOS does all of that.  Perhaps I don't understand Transframe "references".
It looked to me like the CLOS equivalent of Transframe () and :=
overloading was to define a new metaclass and specialize
slot-value-using-class and (setf slot-value-using-class).

Where can I learn more about Transframe?

Mon, 22 Nov 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Accessors (Summary and Suggested Appoach)

You can get the language reference manual at http://www.transframe.com
at the document page. However, we'll replace it with a new version (1.41)
in about two weeks. You'll find some articles as well as a language
comparison document (with C++ and Java) there.

The reference compiler is still under testing. We'll release it free to
public in near future. The GUI programing environment is contracted
to universities, and the prototype should be available by
the end of this year.

A parallel development track in Transframe Technology Corporation
is the script version of Transframe, which is used for graphic
applications such as 3D modeling, animations, and rapid business
software application development. The preview site will be established
soon with a demo version for 3D modeling and animation authoring.

Transframe is very different than CLOS and Dylan, though some
concepts are borrowed from these two languages. It is a static
language but enables dynamic programming in the environment.

Quote:
> It looked to me like the CLOS equivalent of Transframe () and :=
> overloading was to define a new metaclass and specialize
> slot-value-using-class and (setf slot-value-using-class).

There is no distinction of classes and functions in Transframe.
They are all classes, including operators (), and :=. Some
member classes are defined at meta level (in class scope),
the example is the "()" operator, which is a member class
belongs to a class. Yes, overriding this meta class is
similar to define a new metaclass in CLOS.

David

Mon, 22 Nov 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Accessors (Summary and Suggested Appoach)

  >You can get the language reference manual at
  > http://www.*-*-*.com/ at the document page. However,
  >we'll replace it with a new version (1.41) in about two weeks.

Dr. Shang:

Will the new version be in a format other than raw postscript? It is
somewhat cumbersome reading in GhostScript, and fairly long to print out.
An HTML version would be nice. If you're unhappy with the way FrameMaker
exports mark-up, I'd be willing to clean up the HTML files for you on my
free time.

  >Where can I learn more about Transframe?

Mr. Withington

In addition to the Transframe site, Dr. Shang wrote a series of Transframe
articles for "Object Currents." I have list of the links to those URL's at:
< http://www.*-*-*.com/ ~athene/objects.html#transframe>

Los Angeles, CA   illustration & design |      {*filter*}dog mail system"
    http://www.*-*-*.com/ ~athene    | eti kai nun Hellada phileo

IBM 233 MHz PowerPC 604e unveiled: world's fastest microcomputer cpu

Mon, 22 Nov 1999 03:00:00 GMT

1. Accessors (Summary and Suggested Appoach)

2. Accessors (Summary and Suggested Appoach)

3. Summaries of text (summary of info received)!

4. Summaries of text (summary of info received)!

5. Socket Accessor in VWNC 3.0?

6. Generate Accessors

7. Is the Generate Accessors text changeable?

8. Accessors code generator ...

9. Smalltalk accessors

10. Generate Accessors - Howto?

11. Lazy Accessor Questions