Marlais threads extension 
Author Message
 Marlais threads extension

Wonderful.  I ftp'ed the latest version of MacMarlais of the appropriate
Apple FTP site.  It then told me I either needed to be running System 7.5
(which I'm not) or have the thread manager, obtainable at another Apple
site, ftp.apple.com.  Only problem is, said machine has not been accessible
all day.  Since they're both Apple machines, I don't suppose it would have
made sense to have a copy of the thread manager *with* MacMarlais, so
people wouldn't get hosed this way?

--

#include <std_disclaimer.h>



Thu, 13 Mar 1997 09:22:25 GMT  
 Marlais threads extension

Quote:

>Wonderful.  I ftp'ed the latest version of MacMarlais of the appropriate
>Apple FTP site.  It then told me I either needed to be running System 7.5
>(which I'm not) or have the thread manager, obtainable at another Apple
>site, ftp.apple.com.  Only problem is, said machine has not been accessible
>all day.  Since they're both Apple machines, I don't suppose it would have
>made sense to have a copy of the thread manager *with* MacMarlais, so
>people wouldn't get hosed this way?

As the release notes state, "In the future this may be included with MacMarlais."
The nice people at Apple Cambridge have told me they are working on allowing it to
be bundled with MacMarlais. They have to do some legal gymnastics to get it worked
out.

Now, I agree it's a good idea for them to have a copy available locally. That should be
easier for them to arrange.

//
// Patrick C. Beard
// Dept. of Computer Science, U. C. Davis

//



Thu, 13 Mar 1997 09:26:57 GMT  
 Marlais threads extension
: Wonderful.  I ftp'ed the latest version of MacMarlais of the appropriate
: Apple FTP site.  It then told me I either needed to be running System 7.5
: (which I'm not) or have the thread manager, obtainable at another Apple
: site, ftp.apple.com.  Only problem is, said machine has not been accessible
: all day.  Since they're both Apple machines, I don't suppose it would have
: made sense to have a copy of the thread manager *with* MacMarlais, so
: people wouldn't get hosed this way?

Hi Dan.  I share your frustration, but bear in mind that the MacMarlais
folks just can't include Thread Manager with their product;  it requires
some major voodoo to include Apple system software with any software
product.  (Trust me-- it often also requires bucks, and this is for
*shareware*, folks).  In the meantime, Apple doesn't recommend you use
ftp.apple.com anymore.  Most operating system software and supplementals
have been moved to ftp.support.apple.com.  Thread Manager is there, as
well as other common system extensions.  Be sure to read the README for
details on ftp'ing if you're on a Unix system.

Anyway, good luck to you, and keep on using MacMarlais!!  I am hard at
work on a shareware Macintosh-based Dylan implementation, which will
present a complete dynamic compilation environment, support the Mac
ToolBox, and include libraries not detailed in the IRM.  This product and
products like MacMarlais will help push the Dylan word out as far as
possible. Advancements like Dylan push the envelope, and folks like you
make it happen.  Hang in there.

Thanks,


XMachina, Inc.                  "The limits of machine and man"
1901-L Windsor Hill Drive
Matthews NC 28105



Thu, 13 Mar 1997 10:41:02 GMT  
 Marlais threads extension

Quote:


> Hi Dan.  I share your frustration, but bear in mind that the MacMarlais
> folks just can't include Thread Manager with their product;  it requires
> some major voodoo to include Apple system software with any software

Let me be a little clearer.  MacMarlais is available by anonymous FTP.
So is the thread manager.  Just not from the same site.  And the site
that supposedly *does* have thread manager is off the net.  That's what
I was grumbling about.

Quote:
> product.  (Trust me-- it often also requires bucks, and this is for
> *shareware*, folks).  In the meantime, Apple doesn't recommend you use
> ftp.apple.com anymore.  Most operating system software and supplementals
> have been moved to ftp.support.apple.com.  Thread Manager is there, as
> well as other common system extensions.  Be sure to read the README for
> details on ftp'ing if you're on a Unix system.

Thanks, I wasn't aware of that.  Unfortunately, the only reference in
the MacMarlais README is to the deprecated site.  Sigh...

--

#include <std_disclaimer.h>



Thu, 13 Mar 1997 20:36:36 GMT  
 Marlais threads extension

Quote:

>In the meantime, Apple doesn't recommend you use
>ftp.apple.com anymore.  Most operating system software and supplementals
>have been moved to ftp.support.apple.com.  Thread Manager is there, as
>well as other common system extensions.  Be sure to read the README for
>details on ftp'ing if you're on a Unix system.

Here's the full path to the thread manager extension on ftp.support.apple.com:

ftp.support.apple.com:pub/Apple SW Updates/Macintosh/Supplemental System Software/Thread Manager (2.0.1).hqx

//
// Patrick C. Beard
// Dept. of Computer Science, U. C. Davis

//



Thu, 13 Mar 1997 16:36:31 GMT  
 Marlais threads extension

Quote:


>... but bear in mind that the MacMarlais
>folks just can't include Thread Manager with their product;  it requires
>some major voodoo to include Apple system software with any software
>product.  (Trust me-- it often also requires bucks, and this is for
>*shareware*, folks).

Brian:

I just checked the Apple Licensing agreement, and the Thread Manager is
only $50. I'm planning a shareware product, and thinking of bundling
the Thread Manager: I figure if I can't make back my $50, then I shouldn't
bother...


Manager of Special Projects   AppleLink address:  Rich.Brown
Dartmouth College
Kiewit Computer Center        Telephone: 603/646-3648
Hanover, NH 03755 USA         Fax: 603/646-2810



Sun, 16 Mar 1997 10:21:13 GMT  
 
 [ 6 post ] 

 Relevant Pages 

1. [thread extension] TclGetLibraryPath in core returns NULL for Tcl_Init under threads (part 2)

2. [thread extension] TclGetLibraryPath in core returns NULL for Tcl_Init under threads

3. C Extensions blocking all ruby threads

4. pth thread in extension

5. Extension libraries, spawned threads, and the global interpreter lock

6. where to get manual for thread extension

7. Tcl 8.4 and Thread extension for Win XP and 2003

8. Windows binaries for the Thread extension anywhere?

9. ANNOUNCE: Tcl/Tk 8.4.9 rpm specification with thread 2.6 extension

10. ANNOUNCE: Tcl/Tk 8.4.8 rpm specification with thread 2.5.2 extension

11. Regarding the thread extension

12. ANNOUNCE: Tcl/Tk 8.4.7 rpm specification with thread 2.5.2 extension

 

 
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software