Alleging name theft, Bob Dylan sues Apple Computer
Author Message
 Alleging name theft, Bob Dylan sues Apple Computer

From the Associated Press:  "Bob Dylan has sued Apple Computer
Inc., claiming the company is planning to steal his name for a new
software program.  . . ."

Will Apple adhere to precedent and rename the product "Butthead Singer"?
--
  disclaimer: the above is likely to refer to anecdotal evidence.
     *\\*   doing my bit for the Net of a Million Lies   *\\*

 Libertarian candidate for California Assembly, district 12 (S.F.)

Tue, 11 Feb 1997 06:51:24 GMT
 Alleging name theft, Bob Dylan sues Apple Computer

Quote:

>From the Associated Press:  "Bob Dylan has sued Apple Computer
>Inc., claiming the company is planning to steal his name for a new
>software program.  . . ."

"I knew a man, his brain so small,
He couldn't think of nothing at all.
He's not the same as you and me.
He doesn't dig poetry.  He's so unhip that
When you say Dylan, he thinks you're talking about
    Dylan Thomas,
Whoever he was."

Paul Simon - "A Simple Desultory Philippic (Or How I Was Robert McNamara'd
              Into Submission)"

If what you say is true, I think it'll get thrown out at the very first
opportunity.

Quote:
>Will Apple adhere to precedent and rename the product "Butthead Singer"?

Heh.  Cool if they did.

Quote:
>--
>  disclaimer: the above is likely to refer to anecdotal evidence.
>     *\\*   doing my bit for the Net of a Million Lies   *\\*

> Libertarian candidate for California Assembly, district 12 (S.F.)

Fred

Tue, 11 Feb 1997 11:33:14 GMT
 Alleging name theft, Bob Dylan sues Apple Computer

Poor Bob Dylan, methinks he is computer not so literate.

Consider the following names for programming languages:

Lisp = List Processing
fortran = Formula Translation
Simula = Simulation Language
Prolog = Programming in Logic (actually after the French name)
Algol = Algorithmic Language
Dylan = Dynamic Language
PL/I = Programming Language I (any rock groups with this name?)

And some people:

Pascal  (long dead)
Ada     (Countess of Lovelace, not as long dead)
Dylan   (Dylan Thomas, 50 years deceased)

Miscellaneous:

C = came after B

Many others omitted.  The list is very long. Many end with "...lan".

With these precedents behind them, I would think that the Apple
lawyers would not have too hard a time.

The variations on the Dylan name are too awful to contemplate, given
that it's a Functional, Object-Oriented, Dyanmic Language, e.g.,

  FOODYL, DOOFLAN, OODFLAN, OOFDYLAN, FOODYLAN (presumably the name
  of the 7-11 competitor that Bob may be planning to franchise), or just
  plain FOOL (not dynamic though).

(Luckily there's no music on the Dylan CD.  Shows Apple's heart is
 on their work, not on breaking into MTV. Has Bob stuck it into
 his CD-player and tried to listen to his namesake/competition?)

   Bob Futrelle

Prof. Robert P. Futrelle  |  Biological Knowledge Laboratory
                          |  College of Computer Science  161CN
Office: (617)-373-2076    |  Northeastern University
Fax:    (617)-373-5121    |  360 Huntington Ave.

__________________________|____________________________________

Tue, 11 Feb 1997 20:21:19 GMT
 Alleging name theft, Bob Dylan sues Apple Computer

Quote:

>From the Associated Press:  "Bob Dylan has sued Apple Computer
>Inc., claiming the company is planning to steal his name for a new
>software program.  . . ."

If Dylan Thomas knew about this, would he sue too?

What about the producers of Beverly Hills 90210?

This is sick.

-dan

Wed, 12 Feb 1997 02:13:45 GMT
 Alleging name theft, Bob Dylan sues Apple Computer

Quote:

>From the Associated Press:  "Bob Dylan has sued Apple Computer
>Inc., claiming the company is planning to steal his name for a new
>software program.  . . ."
>Will Apple adhere to precedent and rename the product "Butthead Singer"?
>--
>  disclaimer: the above is likely to refer to anecdotal evidence.
>     *\\*   doing my bit for the Net of a Million Lies   *\\*

> Libertarian candidate for California Assembly, district 12 (S.F.)

I hope so. His suit is without merit (as was BHA's lawsuit) since THE GENERAL
PUBLIC WILL NEVER SEE THAT NAME, AS IT'S ONLY AN INTERNAL CODE NAME. In this
case, it's the name of a programming language that only developers (NOT END
USERS) will be aware of. Customers will most likely never see that name. In
the case of BHA, it was the code name of one of the PowerMacs (I believe it
was what's now known as a 7100). Nobody outside of apple was supposed to know
of that name - it's traditional to use internal codenames for almost anything
in development.

Another thing about the name Dylan - How does he know it was specifically
referring to him? How does he know it wasn't named after Dylan Thomas (in fact
the current development version from DEC is called Thomas).
--

NewtonMail, eWorld: MikeC / ALink: D6734 / AOL: MikeC20
Home Page: file://ftp.netcom.com/pub/isis/home.html

Wed, 12 Feb 1997 01:11:12 GMT
 Alleging name theft, Bob Dylan sues Apple Computer

Quote:

>From the Associated Press:  "Bob Dylan has sued Apple Computer
>Inc., claiming the company is planning to steal his name for a new
>software program.  . . ."

Hey, maybe this is a blessing in disguise (only 1/2 ":-)"). I think
that one of the main obstacles facing Dylan would just be publicity.
Ie not that people would try it and not like it, but that they wouldn't
even try it.  Now, maybe people all over the Net will be talking
about this.

"Oh, why'd Apple choose the name 'DYLAN', then?"

"Well, they wanted to emphasize that it was a dynamic language (list of
advantages that this provides) ..."

Quote:
>Will Apple adhere to precedent and rename the product "Butthead Singer"?

:-)
                                                - Marty
(proclaim '(inline skates))

Wed, 12 Feb 1997 01:29:48 GMT

writes:

Quote:
>From the Associated Press:  "Bob Dylan has sued Apple Computer
>Inc., claiming the company is planning to steal his name for a new
>software program.  . . ."

What is the software? A singing speech manager that sounds like an elf?

Quote:
>Will Apple adhere to precedent and rename the product "Butthead Singer"?

:-)

sparky

Wed, 12 Feb 1997 05:40:03 GMT
 Alleging name theft, Bob Dylan sues Apple Computer

Quote:

>I hope so. His suit is without merit (as was BHA's lawsuit) since
>THE GENERAL PUBLIC WILL NEVER SEE THAT NAME, AS IT'S ONLY AN
>INTERNAL CODE NAME.

It is _not_ a code name. No discussion or printed information about the
Dylan language has _ever_ indicated it was an internal code name.

 In this

Quote:
>case, it's the name of a programming language that only developers (NOT END
>USERS) will be aware of. Customers will most likely never see that name.

Well, end users certainly see the name C++ in software stores, catalogs,
magazine articles, etc. I don't know why the Dylan name would never come up
in those same contexts. Additionally, I think I recently heard that the
Defence Department got the permission of Lady Lovelace's heirs to use the
name Ada as a programming language (this might have been on one of the
folklore groups; I'll check it out).

In

Quote:
>the case of BHA, it was the code name of one of the PowerMacs (I believe it
>was what's now known as a 7100). Nobody outside of apple was supposed to
>know of that name - it's traditional to use internal codenames for almost
>anything in development.

Which is the critical difference between the two cases. And I don't think
there's any evidence (outside the woefully misinformed AP story) that Apple
ever intended Dylan to be other than a real product name.

Quote:

>Another thing about the name Dylan - How does he know it was specifically
>referring to him?

Indeed, the name of the language was supposedly derived from DYnamic
LANguage. Sure.

Wed, 12 Feb 1997 05:52:19 GMT
 Alleging name theft, Bob Dylan sues Apple Computer

Quote:

> Well, end users certainly see the name C++ in software stores, catalogs,
> magazine articles, etc. I don't know why the Dylan name would never come up
> in those same contexts. Additionally, I think I recently heard that the
> Defence Department got the permission of Lady Lovelace's heirs to use the
> name Ada as a programming language (this might have been on one of the
> folklore groups; I'll check it out).

To digress briefly, the parallel programming paradigm Linda (as in C-Linda,
etc.) was named specifically for another Lovelace.  I doubt that
appropriate permission was obtained...

- Mark

Wed, 12 Feb 1997 10:52:24 GMT
 Alleging name theft, Bob Dylan sues Apple Computer

Quote:

> From the Associated Press:  "Bob Dylan has sued Apple Computer
> Inc., claiming the company is planning to steal his name for a new
> software program.  . . ."

> Will Apple adhere to precedent and rename the product "Butthead Singer"?

Nah. They should name is "Gnarly-Voiced Has-Been Psuedo-Singer."

--

Wed, 12 Feb 1997 00:06:06 GMT
 Alleging name theft, Bob Dylan sues Apple Computer

Quote:

>Another thing about the name Dylan - How does he know it was specifically
>referring to him? How does he know it wasn't named after Dylan Thomas (in fact
>the current development version from DEC is called Thomas).

Not like "Dylan" is even Bob's given name in the first place...
But then again there's little market potential in naming something
"Zimmerman."  :-)

Derek (tm)
--
Derek LeLash, SrTechWriter/INFP |
BASYS Automation Systems, Inc.  |     "The hardest to learn was the

Wed, 12 Feb 1997 10:54:51 GMT
 Alleging name theft, Bob Dylan sues Apple Computer

[deletia...]

Quote:
>>Another thing about the name Dylan - How does he know it was specifically
>>referring to him?

>Indeed, the name of the language was supposedly derived from DYnamic
>LANguage. Sure.

You sound sarcastic.  I ask you this:

Who in the hell would ever want to name a language after Bob Dylan?

That's all the proof I need...

Regards,

Dave

Thu, 13 Feb 1997 04:10:33 GMT
 Alleging name theft, Bob Dylan sues Apple Computer
: >From the Associated Press:  "Bob Dylan has sued Apple Computer
: >Inc., claiming the company is planning to steal his name for a new
: >software program.  . . ."

: Another thing about the name Dylan - How does he know it was specifically
: referring to him? How does he know it wasn't named after Dylan Thomas (in
: fact the current development version from DEC is called Thomas).

I thought it was for Dylan of the Waves, a figure of Welsh mythology.
--
  disclaimer: the above is likely to refer to anecdotal evidence.
     *\\*   doing my bit for the Net of a Million Lies   *\\*

 Libertarian candidate for California Assembly, district 12 (S.F.)

Wed, 12 Feb 1997 17:04:10 GMT

 [ 127 post ]  Go to page: [1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9]

 Relevant Pages

1. Dynamic Language in Esperanto (was: Re: Alleging name theft, Bob Dylan sues Apple Computer)

2. Dylan is the Name was(Re: Dylan (Bob) eats rotten Apple (Computer))

3. Bob Dylan Sues Apple

4. Dylan sues Apple

5. Bob Dylan meets Apple

6. Can't Edit Source folder names in Apple Dylan DR1

7. Dylan Programming Book and Apple Dylan

8. bob dylan

9. BOB DYLAN TRIBUTE BAND

10. BOB DYLAN TRIBUTE BAND

11. BOB DYLAN BOOTLEGS FOR TRADE