Gwydion and HD
Author Message
 Gwydion and HD

    Earlier it was stated that the two implementations of the compilers were
pursuing separate paths, and may not be compatible. Is it possible to get
both camps working towards a standardized release for multiple platforms ?

Shawn

Wed, 30 Oct 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Gwydion and HD

Quote:

>     Earlier it was stated that the two implementations of the compilers were
> pursuing separate paths, and may not be compatible. Is it possible to get
> both camps working towards a standardized release for multiple platforms ?

The intentions of the Gwydion group are certainly to stay compatable with
Functional Objects and with the Dylan standard (of course, whatever GD and
FO both do essentially *is* the standard).

Mostly what this requires is for both groups to tell each other what
they're doing that doesn't correspond to the DRM ... and some time for the
other implementation to catch up.

-- Bruce

Wed, 30 Oct 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Gwydion and HD
I believe that the comment referred to runtime incompatibility. Doesn't look like
this would change in the near future.
Which only means, that code has to be exchanged in source code form between users
of FD and Gwydon.

Roman

Quote:

> >     Earlier it was stated that the two implementations of the compilers were
> > pursuing separate paths, and may not be compatible. Is it possible to get
> > both camps working towards a standardized release for multiple platforms ?

> The intentions of the Gwydion group are certainly to stay compatable with
> Functional Objects and with the Dylan standard (of course, whatever GD and
> FO both do essentially *is* the standard).

> Mostly what this requires is for both groups to tell each other what
> they're doing that doesn't correspond to the DRM ... and some time for the
> other implementation to catch up.

> -- Bruce

Fri, 01 Nov 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Gwydion and HD
Functional Developer is a native compiler, d2c (Gwydion Dylan) uses C as an
intermediate representation. They therefore assemble their code and data very
differently , and binary compatibility is likely to be impossible because of this.
Name-mangling is an issue as well.
There would be nothing to stop components written in COM or CORBA in either system
working together. If d2c supported COM or CORBA, that is. :-)

Source compatibility is very good and getting better. It's certainly no worse (IMHO)
than converting C between VC++ and GNU or CodeWarrior compilers.

- Rob.

Quote:

--

MacOS wonderfulness for The Hitch Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy Game.
"Arthur bought the Apple anyway."-So Long & Thanks For All The Fish.

Fri, 08 Nov 2002 03:00:00 GMT

1. Gwydion Dylan 2.2.0 Released

2. Where to put gc libs for Gwydion Dylan 2.3.10

3. Gwydion Dylan 2.3.9 Released

4. Simpe Gwydion question

5. Gwydion & threads

6. Gwydion-Dylan 2.3.6 much bigger?

7. Gwydion Dylan Release 2.3.5

8. Gwydion make failure on OS X

9. Gwydion Dylan - MacOS X Carbon Demos

10. Gwydion Dylan 2.3.4 Released

11. method dispatch for gwydion

12. Mac-d2c port of Mac application in gwydion dylan archive