PC Week prediction?
Author Message
 PC Week prediction?

I saw the rumor that Dylan might get the rug pulled out under it in
the upcoming budget axing at Apple. This was in the Rumor Central
column in PC WEEK (Spencer F. Katt) for June 28, 1993.

Anyone want to add or subtract from this?

daviD

--

  "A truth does not become greater by repetition."
         --  Maimonides (1135 - 1204)

Tue, 19 Dec 1995 02:41:13 GMT
 PC Week prediction?
Was this Dylan the langauge or just its environment or are they the
same thing. THey also mentioned just the ATG (not ATG East) but that
may just be a tiny distinction.

I guess them that knows ain't sayin' and them that does aren't.

Kevin Purcell

Co-chair of Seattle Mac dBug Developer's SIG
"Just cmd/Z it"
----------

Subject: PC Week prediction?
Date: Thursday, July 01, 1993 6:41PM

I saw the rumor that Dylan might get the rug pulled out under it in
the upcoming budget axing at Apple. This was in the Rumor Central
column in PC WEEK (Spencer F. Katt) for June 28, 1993.

Anyone want to add or subtract from this?

daviD

--

  "A truth does not become greater by repetition."
         --  Maimonides (1135 - 1204)

Mon, 18 Dec 1995 23:41:53 GMT
 PC Week prediction?

Quote:
>I saw the rumor that Dylan might get the rug pulled out under it in
>the upcoming budget axing at Apple. This was in the Rumor Central
>column in PC WEEK (Spencer F. Katt) for June 28, 1993.

>Anyone want to add or subtract from this?

As a matter of policy, we do not comment on rumors.  However, we do provide
our developers with examples of good coding style.

Example (in prefix syntax):

(define-method generate-Apple-rumor-to-sell-paper ((project-names <sequence>))
    (concatenate
        (random-element project-names)
        " might "
        (random-element '("fall to the axe in"
                          "become history after"
                          "get the rug pulled out from under it in"
                          "become a victim of"))
        " the "
        (random-element '("quest for cost savings"
                          "upcoming budget cuts"
                          "impending restructuring"
                          "fiscal tightening"))
        " at Apple."))

This method could be made more general by replacing "Apple" and the two
literal lists by parameters.

This method is English-specific.  A method that would work in many
countries would be more difficult to code because grammars vary.  But note
that it would be even more difficult to internationalize if it were coded
in a programming language lacking symbolic and list processing
capabilities.

Larry

>Larry Tesler, Chief Scientist, Apple Computer, Inc.
>USMail: 20525 Mariani Ave., MS: 301-4I, Cupertino, CA, 95014

>Phone: (408) 974-2219, Fax: (408) 974-1794

Wed, 20 Dec 1995 17:44:26 GMT

1. PC Week article on Objective-C gives nod to Smalltalk

2. PC Week online article on Objective-C gives nod to Smalltalk

3. PC Week favorable mention

4. PC Week article on ISE Eiffel

5. PC Week Review of Professional Eiffel, SD '96

6. Superccape Set To Unveil Virtual Web Network - PC Week

7. Superscape Set To Unveil Virtual Web Network - PC Week

8. New VRML Protocols Attract Strong Support - PC Week

9. PC week article, Ada and Java mentioned.

10. PC Week and C++

11. Ada gets notice in PC-WEEK Soft Talk column

12. Lahey and Microsoft Reviewed in PC Week