Dylan TR speed
Author Message
 Dylan TR speed

I am running the TR on an 8500/120 with 32 Meg of Ram and a 1 Gb hard
disk. Virtual memory off. And I am ageing visibly while I wait for it to
load or excute. Is this glacier-like speed normal?

I am finding it very difficult coming to grips with Dylan because TR is
so slow and it is frustrating trying to write event the smallest bits of
code. I'm also having trouble understanding stuff because there are so
few examples available to look at. Are there any steps I can take to
alleviate the speed problem, and does anyone know of any simple
implementations of the framework that would be good to learn from?

Thanks

Rick

Wed, 02 Sep 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 Dylan TR speed

Quote:

>I am running the TR on an 8500/120 with 32 Meg of Ram and a 1 Gb hard
>disk. Virtual memory off. And I am ageing visibly while I wait for it to
>load or excute. Is this glacier-like speed normal?

Yes, Dylan TR does not perform at all on PowerPC-only machines.
Running the TR on a plain-old 68K Mac (like a Centris machine)
brings far better results.

The reason for this is the MCL that was used to write AppleDylan, which
produces code optimized for 68K usage. This code is absolutely
unsuited to the 68k emulation found on Power Macs.

I think a PPC version of AppleDylan will be available in August,
but who knows.

Tim

--
---
Java? Just Another Virus Attack!

Fri, 18 Sep 1998 03:00:00 GMT

1. Apple Dylan TR

2. Newbie problem? (Dylan TR)

3. CGIs in Apple Dylan TR???

4. apple dylan tr no format-out

5. Doing MCL with Dylan TR?

6. PPC Dylan TR Run With RAM Doubler?

7. Apple Dylan TR PPC Buggy?

8. Dylan TR timings and their implications

9. HELP! Apple Dylan TR problem

10. Upgrade to PPC Dylan TR?

11. How to get Apple-Dylan-TR in Europe?

12. Learning the Apple Dylan TR Framework.