Promoting Dylan...
Author Message
 Promoting Dylan...

OK, I've done my bit this week to promote Dylan to
other programmers ;-)

http://www.*-*-*.com/

Cheers,
Mark Jordan.

Wed, 25 Feb 2004 11:04:04 GMT
 Promoting Dylan...

Quote:

> OK, I've done my bit this week to promote Dylan to
> other programmers ;-)

Good on 'yer.

I think some of those other guys quoted need to be pointed at Dylan as well...

-- Bruce

Wed, 25 Feb 2004 09:38:40 GMT
 Promoting Dylan...

Quote:

>> OK, I've done my bit this week to promote Dylan to
>> other programmers ;-)

> Good on 'yer.

Yes, good stuff.

I think my favorite quote from the article is this:

""It's also hard to argue with Feher, when he remarks, "I think one of
the greatest strength of C++ is that you exactly know what is happening
'behind the scenes.' You are not at the mercy of a black box VM or a
'who knows in what state it is' garbage collector etc." ""

As someone who fights with C++'s syntax, template system, non-existent
memory management and mysteriously generated bindings on a daily basis,
I find it funny that this guy's best defense of the language is a
straw-man parody of 1970s attitudes to Lisp or Pascal. Three different
meanings for >> and const? Lovely.

- Rob.

Fri, 27 Feb 2004 17:00:54 GMT
 Promoting Dylan...

Quote:

> >> OK, I've done my bit this week to promote Dylan to
> >> other programmers ;-)

> > Good on 'yer.

> Yes, good stuff.

> I think my favorite quote from the article is this:

> ""It's also hard to argue with Feher, when he remarks, "I think one of
> the greatest strength of C++ is that you exactly know what is happening
> 'behind the scenes.' You are not at the mercy of a black box VM or a
> 'who knows in what state it is' garbage collector etc." ""

Yeah, you have to laugh ;-) Greatest strength indeed.
I guess he's saying he has complete control, but IMO
you have to give some of that up to move forward, just
like we did when we moved from assembler to HLL's.

Cheers,
Mark.

Sat, 28 Feb 2004 11:42:08 GMT
 Promoting Dylan...

Quote:

> Yeah, you have to laugh ;-) Greatest strength indeed.
> I guess he's saying he has complete control,

The irony, this being C++, is that you haven't. You have the illusory
empowerment of thinking you've mastered a complex and obfuscated syntax
and set of libraries until you  waste half a day on a non-virtual
destructor.
You have namespace pollution, mangled names and the exception/RTTI
overhead. Dynamic language users know how their GC works and can program
for it.

- Rob.

--
"The idea behind Dylanto offer a range of dynamism appropriate to each
piece of an applicationfeels right, and after using Dylan you will

Sat, 28 Feb 2004 17:03:42 GMT
 Promoting Dylan...

Quote:

>The irony, this being C++, is that you haven't. You have the illusory
>empowerment of thinking you've mastered a complex and obfuscated syntax
>and set of libraries until you  waste half a day on a non-virtual
>destructor.
>You have namespace pollution, mangled names and the exception/RTTI
>overhead. Dynamic language users know how their GC works and can program
>for it.

I guess you love C++ ;-)  I thought most garbage collectors
had a fuction that you could call to immediately collect
an item, but I must be wrong, because I've heard so many
complaints about GC's are non-deterministic, the .NET one for
instance. I guess it's not that simple huh ?

Cheers,
Mark.

Mon, 01 Mar 2004 09:39:39 GMT

1. promoting dylan

2. archives of info-dylan/comp.lang.dylan available

3. Dylan vs DyLan

4. (fwd) harlequin's dylan-corba mailing list switching to MIT's info-dylan

5. lazy.dylan 0.1 -- add ML/Scheme-style lazy evaluation to Dylan

6. Dylan and Java [was: Harlequin Dylan - Update]

7. Dylan Programming Book and Apple Dylan

8. Dylan, guys, Dylan.

9. Dylan is the Name was(Re: Dylan (Bob) eats rotten Apple (Computer))

10. Dylan alternative (was Dylan complexity)

11. Sudden interest in Dylan/Dylan should be open.

12. c.l.dylan overlap with Dylan mailing lists?