Advantages of Dylan over Java
Author Message
 Advantages of Dylan over Java

-- Messages from file: /usr0/pshell/mail.txt --
   Wednesday, 21 August 1996 7:37PM

Message 577 -- *********************

        id AA08827; Tue, 20 Aug 1996 23:32:50 +0000

Date: Tue, 20 Aug 1996 23:33:27 +0200

Subject: Re: Advantages of Dylan over Java?
Newsgroups: comp.lang.dylan

content-length: 1606

(A copy of this message has also been posted to the following newsgroups:
comp.lang.dylan)

Quote:

> I'm curious from a language-design point of view, but also have a practical
> interest: we're trying to decide what UI language to port (at least the UI
> part of) our CommonLisp system to in order to make it run on PC/Windows and
> so far Java looks like one of the main contenders.

Why not write the GUI in Common Lisp? Seems obvious when
the application is already written in CL. You could use
Allegro CL from Franz Inc. ( http://www.*-*-*.com/ ).
CLIM could be one choice.

Also watch out for Harlequin LispWorks on NT:

Quote:
> http://www.*-*-*.com/
> LispWorks for the PC

> Harlequin will also be showing the first PC version of the LispWorks
> integrated object-oriented
> programming environment for prototyping, developing, and deploying
> advanced applications.
> LispWorks will be demonstrated under Windows NT.

The Web is latest GUI. See
http://www.*-*-*.com/
CL-HTTP, a web server written in Common Lisp, which can be used
to give CL applications a web presence. Clients then use
your CL applications via Netscape Navigator or MSIE.
Maximum portability.

Don't forget Macintosh Common Lisp ( http://www.*-*-*.com/ ), which
can be used too develop cool graphical user interfaces
(see for example the Apple Dylan IDE) running on the Mac.

Greetings,

Rainer Joswig

--
-----------
WWW: http://www.*-*-*.com/ ~pshell

Sun, 07 Feb 1999 03:00:00 GMT

1. Advantages of Dylan over Java (second try)

2. Advantages of Dylan over Java?

3. Dylan and Java [was: Harlequin Dylan - Update]

4. Advantages of Smalltalk over Java

5. 5i advantage over java

6. Subtle Smalltalk advantage over Java ?

7. advantages and disadvantages of C++, Java and Smalltalk

8. Advantages/Disadvantages of Java

9. advantages of java?

10. Calling Java from Dylan

11. Dylan to Java/JVM compiler?