Dylan tutorial update
Author Message
 Dylan tutorial update

OK. I've brought the WWW version of my Dylan tutorial fully up-to-date and
abandoned the earlier versions. It's available at:

  http://www.*-*-*.com/ ~emk/dylan/

That's actually a "forwarding URL" which will be redirected to wherever
the tutorial actually resides. I think the coos web server here at
Dartmouth may be taken down sometime in the future, so don't point to it
directly.

The new version includes all the text, tables and graphics of the original
version, plus several new sections. I've added a chapter on multiple
dispatch and started one on conditions.

I'm aware of several problems:

   * The background pattern is damaged in Netscape 2.0 on an 8-bit screen.
     Internet Explorer works fine, as does Netscape with more bits of color.
     You can still read it just fine with N2.0 and 8 bits, though.
   * The text in the figures is hard to read. This is a problem with
     GhostScript rendering of low-resolution text.
   * Netscape still hasn't implemented a number of HTML entities, including
     the trademark symbol.

I welcome feedback on readability, technical accuracy and usefulness to
typical people who want to learn Dylan.

Would anyone be interested in testing sample code for a chapter on macros?
I'm not intending to make this tutorial a major project, but my SGML/gpic
build system makes it really easy to slap together new chapters.

Cheers,
Eric

BeUpdated, Mediaspace project, poetry:         http://www.*-*-*.com/ ~emk/
"Computers are useless.  They can only give you answers." -Pablo Picasso

Wed, 11 Nov 1998 03:00:00 GMT

1. Dylan and Java [was: Harlequin Dylan - Update]

2. Some inquiries about Dylan tutorials and documentation

3. Anyone know of good Dylan tutorial?

4. Anyone know of good Dylan tutorial?

5. Draft Dylan Tutorial

6. Comparing and Contrasting Common Lisp, Scheme, and Dylan tutorial

7. Comparing and Contrasting Common Lisp, Scheme, and Dylan tutorial

8. Comparing and Contrasting Common Lisp, Scheme, and Dylan tutorial

9. Basic Dylan FAQ updated and available for review

10. How update of Dylan reference manual?

11. How update of Dylan reference manual?