Question about CLisp, Dylan, Haskell, Ocaml
Author Message
 Question about CLisp, Dylan, Haskell, Ocaml

Quote:
>>They are all good languages and yes, it is a matter of taste.
>>In the recent ICFP competition ( involved writing a ray tracer that
>>could handle a functional scene description language as input ), the
>>first and second prizes went to the Ocaml team. The second and third
>>prizes went to teams using Haskell.

>So does that mean that the team that got second prize used
>both Ocaml _and_ Haskell??

Sorry, the _third_ prize went to the Haskell team.
:-)
Mercury won the fourth prize and
finally  Team Helikopter using SML won the Judges Prize for the best
image.

"There were 39 entries, with teams ranging from 1 to 13 persons.
Breakdown by language used:
        C, C++          7
        Clean           1
        Dylan           1
        Eiffel          1
        Haskell         6
        Java            6
        Mercury         1
        ML              9
        Perl            2
        python          1
        Scheme          2
        Smalltalk       2
"

Sun, 22 Jun 2003 21:32:19 GMT
 Question about CLisp, Dylan, Haskell, Ocaml

Quote:
>> They are all good languages and yes, it is a matter of taste.
>> In the recent ICFP competition ( involved writing a ray tracer that
>> could handle a functional scene description language as input ), the
>> first and second prizes went to the Ocaml team. The  third
>> prizes went to teams using Haskell.
>c) I've not seen any CommonLisp or Dylan Teams - would that change the
>    result?

There was one Dylan team.
Of course, such a competition does not allow for varying degrees of
experience / ability.

Sun, 22 Jun 2003 21:36:56 GMT
 Question about CLisp, Dylan, Haskell, Ocaml

Quote:

> > First
> > I considered CLisp but also found some other interesting languages
such
> > as Dylan, Haskell and Ocaml. Is there someone who can tell me
> > about the differences of these languages, what kind of applications
this
> > languages are best suited for and the how easy it is to combine code
> > with C-code.

> I think, most people familiar with all the languages, would say OCaml
is
> most likely what you want. Though Dylan, may be okay too, but I think
OCaml
> is a more mature and lean development environment. Once SML/NJ gets a
better
> FFI, I'd probably recomended it over OCaml.. but I have my biases.

> > I know that this is much a question of taste. To repeat I don't
want to
> > begin a language war but
> > would be thankful for objective assesments.

> I don't think this is an issue of taste, objectively the ML/family of
> languages are probably best suited for your problem.

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/

Mon, 23 Jun 2003 01:34:47 GMT
 Question about CLisp, Dylan, Haskell, Ocaml

Quote:
> "There were 39 entries, with teams ranging from 1 to 13 persons.
> Breakdown by language used:
>         C, C++          7
>         Clean           1
>         Dylan           1
>         Eiffel          1
>         Haskell         6
>         Java            6
>         Mercury         1
>         ML              9
>         Perl            2
>         Python          1
>         Scheme          2
>         Smalltalk       2

I'm confused, since this column adds to 39, but there's no OCaml
there.  Am I missing something?

If it interests anyone, there is an OO book out there that compares
the object systems of CL, Haskell, and Eiffel (I think it was those
3).  If people are interested in that book, let me know, and I'll try
to get the name.

I do think that it's good for people to know what other programmers
are using in competitions, and which languages win.  These languages
are interesting, but it's important to consider the criteria for
winning.

OCaml really does look interesting, considering what people have been
able to do with it.  I think the syntax and the feel of it just wasn't
right for me, but it's free, got a supposedly excellent compiler, and
is relatively high-level.  Probably worth looking at again.

dave

Tue, 24 Jun 2003 21:39:27 GMT
 Question about CLisp, Dylan, Haskell, Ocaml

Quote:

> > "There were 39 entries, with teams ranging from 1 to 13 persons.
> > Breakdown by language used:
> >         ML              9
> I'm confused, since this column adds to 39, but there's no OCaml
> there.  Am I missing something?

Caml counts as an ML dialect for this breakdown.

--
Henning Makholm                                      "Punctuation, is? fun!"

Wed, 25 Jun 2003 02:00:15 GMT

1. Question about CLisp, Dylan, Haskell, Ocaml

2. Question about CLisp, Dylan, Haskell, Ocaml

3. Question about CLisp, Dylan, Haskell, Ocaml

4. Question about CLisp, Dylan, Haskell, Ocaml

5. Question about CLisp, Dylan, Haskell, Ocaml

6. Delphi should use a modern functional language like Ocaml or Haskell

7. Haskell type classes vs Ocaml modules

8. HASKELL vs CLISP

9. HASKELL VERSUS CLISP

10. Dylan meets Haskell

11. FS: dylan, haskell books.

12. wanted: Emacs integrated CLISP env for NT, *AND* mathematics package for CLISP