Basic Dylan FAQ updated and available for review
Author Message
 Basic Dylan FAQ updated and available for review

A basic and forming Dylan FAQ is available at
http://www.*-*-*.com/ ;Please review it.
If you wish to change, to correct, to add or to remove information from
it to make it a better FAQ, please post here or send me an email at

Sincerely,
Douglas M. Auclair

Sent via Deja.com http://www.*-*-*.com/
Before you buy.

Sun, 24 Nov 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Basic Dylan FAQ updated and available for review

Quote:

> A basic and forming Dylan FAQ is available at
> http://www.geocities.com/dylan_programmer/FAQ.html.  Please review it.
> If you wish to change, to correct, to add or to remove information from
> it to make it a better FAQ, please post here or send me an email at

It's great to see someone getting this going!

The GeoCities ads are truly annoying, as they cover up some of the
text just when you want to read it (since they're at the top of the
page).  Any way to get rid of them?  I suspect not.  Maybe you
could always be sure to add enough vertical whitespace near the
top so they don't cover up anything useful.

I think the first question should be "What is Dylan?".  I can't
tell you how many times I've gone to a FAQ where only had a
vague idea of what the "product" was, and the FAQ didn't explain
it.  You could probably steal the answer from either the Gwydion
or Fun-O site.

Another "gotcha" could be that you can't initialize a limited
sequence directly.  e.g.,

  define constant <int-vector> = limited(<vector>, of: <integer>);
  define constant foo :: <int-vector> = #[1, 2, 3];  // error

because the RHS is a <simple-object-vector> even though it
contains only integers.  I think the best one can do is:

  define constant foo :: <int-vector> = make(<int-vector>, size: 3);
  for (i from 0 below 3)
    foo[i] := #[1, 2, 3][i];
  end;

(untested)

Sun, 24 Nov 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Basic Dylan FAQ updated and available for review

Quote:

> > A basic and forming Dylan FAQ is available at
> > http://www.geocities.com/dylan_programmer/FAQ.html.  Please review it.

> It's great to see someone getting this going!

> The GeoCities ads are truly annoying ...

If you read the info about them, they "fold up" after a short time, and you
can always dismiss them by clicking on the "X" button.  Better than animated
banner ads, I think!

Quote:
> I think the first question should be "What is Dylan?".  I can't
> tell you how many times I've gone to a FAQ where only had a
> vague idea of what the "product" was, and the FAQ didn't explain
> it.  You could probably steal the answer from either the Gwydion
> or Fun-O site.

Actually, I pointed a (busy and non-Dylan aware) friend to the Fun-O site
and he said he quickly gave up because there wasn't any front-page "What
is Dylan?" blurb.  There *is* an "About Dylan" link, though, so maybe he
was just too lazy/busy ;-)

Quote:
> Another "gotcha" could be that you can't initialize a limited
> sequence directly.  ...  I think the best one can do is:

>   define constant foo :: <int-vector> = make(<int-vector>, size: 3);
>   for (i from 0 below 3)
>     foo[i] := #[1, 2, 3][i];
>   end;

I'd do

    define constant foo :: <int-vector> = as(<int-vector>, #[1, 2, 3]);

At least, I *think* that works.

Hugh

Sun, 24 Nov 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Basic Dylan FAQ updated and available for review

Quote:

> > > A basic and forming Dylan FAQ is available at
> > > http://www.geocities.com/dylan_programmer/FAQ.html.  Please review it.

> > It's great to see someone getting this going!

> > The GeoCities ads are truly annoying ...

> If you read the info about them, they "fold up" after a short time, and you
> can always dismiss them by clicking on the "X" button.  Better than animated
> banner ads, I think!

If you have to read enough to figure that out then you've already lost.

Quote:
> > Another "gotcha" could be that you can't initialize a limited
> > sequence directly.  ...  I think the best one can do is:

> >   define constant foo :: <int-vector> = make(<int-vector>, size: 3);
> >   for (i from 0 below 3)
> >     foo[i] := #[1, 2, 3][i];
> >   end;

> I'd do

>     define constant foo :: <int-vector> = as(<int-vector>, #[1, 2, 3]);

I thought of that but assumed it wouldn't work because <int-vector>
isn't part of the language.  I'll try it next time I'm in Windows.

Sun, 24 Nov 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Basic Dylan FAQ updated and available for review
Won't the Internet FAQ Consortium ( http://www.faqs.org/ ) host this for
free also?

It's a great centralized place to locate information too...

-Drew

Quote:
> The GeoCities ads are truly annoying, as they cover up some of the
> text just when you want to read it (since they're at the top of the
> page).  Any way to get rid of them?  I suspect not.  Maybe you
> could always be sure to add enough vertical whitespace near the
> top so they don't cover up anything useful.

Mon, 25 Nov 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Basic Dylan FAQ updated and available for review
Hi!

Some have kindly sent comments and emails, so I've made a couple of
changes to the FAQ.  Please see
http://www.geocities.com/dylan_programmer/FAQ.html

Sincerely,
Douglas M. Auclair

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Mon, 09 Dec 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Basic Dylan FAQ updated and available for review

Quote:

>Won't the Internet FAQ Consortium ( http://www.faqs.org/ ) host this for
>free also?
>It's a great centralized place to locate information too...

yes they do. they do it even automatically. (at least with mine)
--
Reini Urban
http://xarch.tu-graz.ac.at/autocad/news/faq/autolisp.html

Mon, 09 Dec 2002 03:00:00 GMT

1. Dylan and Java [was: Harlequin Dylan - Update]

2. archives of info-dylan/comp.lang.dylan available

3. Latest Forth FAQ updated and available

4. Dylan reviewed in Byte

5. Basic Dylan Program

6. Fortran 95 Review update

7. Updated Macintosh Common Lisp review pointer

8. Book Review Available?

9. PYTHON BOOK: free partial draft available for review

10. Debugging Information Format specification available for review

11. command available for review

12. mini review on BYTE mini review on J