Apple Dylan slow
Author Message
 Apple Dylan slow

Hi,

I hope this isn't a FAQ: how come Apple Dylan DR1 is so slow on my
PowerBook 5300 24/500 (PPC603e 100MHz)?

It takes seconds until it folds a menu down or reacts to other clicks
:-((

Is there a way to speed that up?

Bye,
kai

--
Kai Garrels
Mannheim

Tue, 22 Jun 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Apple Dylan slow

On Fri, Jan 3, 1997 12:47 AM, Kai Garrels

Quote:

>I hope this isn't a FAQ: how come Apple Dylan DR1 is so slow on my
>PowerBook 5300 24/500 (PPC603e 100MHz)?

>It takes seconds until it folds a menu down or reacts to other
>clicks
>:-((

>Is there a way to speed that up?

Is DR1 the original 68K-based release (as opposed to the
current PPC-based "Technology Release")?

If so, it's running in emulation on your PPC.  For some
reason all the 68K development environments I've seen
(THINK Pascal, MCL prior to 3.9, non-PPC Dylan) run
abysmally slow under emulation.

Short of buying the PPC version from Apple, you can try
using the Emulator control panel to disable the 68K
emulator's instruction cache; this will help, but will
not get you anywhere near the speed of the native PPC
version.

ftp://fpt.digitool.com/%2fpub/mcl/patches/patches-pre-4.0/Emulator.hqx

The full version of Apple Dylan is from Apple for:

   $39.95 for CD and on-line documentation
   $59.95 for CD and on-line & hardcopy documentation

You can reach the Apple Developer Catalog at:

   http://www.devcatalog.apple.com/

A PPC Dylan demo is available on the MCL 4.0 CD-ROM.

 David B. Lamkins --- http://www.teleport.com/~dlamkins/
    CPU Cycles: Use them now, or lose them forever...

Mon, 28 Jun 1999 03:00:00 GMT

1. Dylan Programming Book and Apple Dylan

2. Dylan is the Name was(Re: Dylan (Bob) eats rotten Apple (Computer))

3. Old Apple Dylan Archive

4. Apple Dylan TR

5. apple's dylan technology release CD

6. Apple Dylan t-shirt: Geek History though T-shirts

7. Apple's Dylan's FAQ postable?

8. Posting Apple's Dylan Ref Manual?

9. Regarding Apple Dylan

10. Apple open source (no, not Dylan -- yet)