Dylan status
Author Message
 Dylan status

I heard Dylan few months ago in Apple's Developer's Catalog. But not untill
yesterday, I was reading comp.lang.lisp and the web and found out some more
info about Dylan. Looks like it is a dream language.

My question is: What is the status of Dylan?
I saw that Apple is no longer supporting Dylan directly. It's Dylan FAQ site
is also down. Is the Dylan language spec in public domain? What I'm trying
to get at is, how likely is Dylan  going to be a mainstream language? Who
are supporting Dylan besides Harlequin?

I am currently learning Java. Having been accustomed in programing with
Mathematica, it is quite painful to deal with the ugliness of C, C++, and
Java too.

Thanks for any information.

 Xah

  http://www.*-*-*.com/ ~xah/SpecialPlaneCurves_dir/specialPlaneCurves.html
 Mountain View, CA, USA

Fri, 17 Sep 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Dylan status

Quote:

> My question is: What is the status of Dylan?
> I saw that Apple is no longer supporting Dylan directly.

And I don't think they're supporting Dylan indirectly, either.

Quote:
> It's Dylan FAQ site
> is also down. Is the Dylan language spec in public domain?

The Dylan spec has been published by Addison-Wesley. If I remember
correctly the title of the book is "The Dylan Reference Manual".
There is a draft of the book at ftp://ftp.ntua.gr/pub/lang/dylan.
The name of the file is DRM.* (depending on the format). I don't
believe that the spec is public domain and I'm sure that the name
Dylan is trademarked by Apple.

Quote:
> What I'm trying
> to get at is, how likely is Dylan  going to be a mainstream language? Who
> are supporting Dylan besides Harlequin?

According to rumours (and the pre-historic FAQ) a research group at CMU
is
working on an implementation of Dylan
(http://legend.gwydion.cs.cmu.edu/).
But right now I am not hoping that anything will come out of their work,
since
they have been silent for too long.

Quote:
> I am currently learning Java. Having been accustomed in programing with
> Mathematica, it is quite painful to deal with the ugliness of C, C++, and
> Java too.

Either wait for DylanWorks or start programming in Common Lisp
(or SML or Concurrent Clean or Haskell or Miranda or Scheme or ...)

Quote:
> Thanks for any information.

>  Xah

>  http://www.best.com/~xah/SpecialPlaneCurves_dir/specialPlaneCurves.html
>  Mountain View, CA, USA

K. Efstathiou

Mon, 20 Sep 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Dylan status

Quote:

> According to rumours (and the pre-historic FAQ) a research group at CMU
> is
> working on an implementation of Dylan
> (http://legend.gwydion.cs.cmu.edu/).
> But right now I am not hoping that anything will come out of their work,
> since
> they have been silent for too long.

 Actually they are planning to release a new version of Mindy (a
compiler this time) soon.

Wed, 22 Sep 1999 03:00:00 GMT

1. Dylan status

2. Status of Dylan on MacOS X

3. Status of Dylan implementations

4. Status of Dylan implementations

5. Status of Apple Dylan?

6. What's the real status of Dylan?

7. Status of Dylan?

8. Status of Dylan

9. Status of Dylan?

10. Status of Dylan / security

11. status of dylan?

12. Return Values vs Status Queries vs Status Messages