Origins of Dylan
Author Message
 Origins of Dylan

Hi,

I've been reading Object-Oriented Programming: The CLOS Perspective, ed
by Paepcke. It's a really informative comparison of CLOS with some other
major OO languages.

Something that has struck me in reading the book is how much the
developers complain about the compromises they had to make in order to
keep backwards compatibility with all the old flavors of Lisp. I
remember such complaints being made about Common Lisp in general.

Recently, I was looking at some material on Dylan and notice that the
developers were a  lot of the same people who were involved with CLOS.
That made me wonder, is Dylan what they really wanted to make when they
made CLOS?

Does anyone know to what degree Dylan was intended to be a better CLOS?
Or was it actually focused on a different range of needs?

Cheers,
Tom

Sent via Deja.com http://www.*-*-*.com/
Before you buy.

Thu, 28 Nov 2002 03:00:00 GMT

1. viewport origin vs. window origin

2. archives of info-dylan/comp.lang.dylan available

3. Dylan vs DyLan

4. (fwd) harlequin's dylan-corba mailing list switching to MIT's info-dylan

5. lazy.dylan 0.1 -- add ML/Scheme-style lazy evaluation to Dylan

6. Dylan and Java [was: Harlequin Dylan - Update]

7. Dylan Programming Book and Apple Dylan

8. Dylan, guys, Dylan.

9. Dylan is the Name was(Re: Dylan (Bob) eats rotten Apple (Computer))

10. Dylan alternative (was Dylan complexity)

11. Sudden interest in Dylan/Dylan should be open.

12. c.l.dylan overlap with Dylan mailing lists?