Dylan Reference Manual online now
Author Message
 Dylan Reference Manual online now

I'm pleased to announce the availability of an HTML version of the new
Dylan Reference Manual at the following location:
        http://www.*-*-*.com/

This draft is the definitive specification of the language design to date,
newly formatted.  We look forward to announcing publication of the DRM in
book format soon.

The online manual was created by Harlequin and nicely demonstrates the
utility of WebMaker, their HTML automated conversion product.

The Technology Release continues apace; we'll announce availability within
the next few weeks.  As our plans for Apple's continued Dylan efforts
solidify we'll post them here.  We regret our tardiness in providing
details and can only offer the usual weak excuses about the dynamic nature
of Apple's planning process.

Russ Daniels

Russ Daniels                            AppleLink:      RUSS.DANIELS
DPG Architecture/Technology             phone:          408) 974-4568

Apple Computer, Inc.                    fax:            408) 974-8490

Tue, 07 Apr 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 Dylan Reference Manual online now

Quote:

> I'm pleased to announce the availability of an HTML version of the new
> Dylan Reference Manual at the following location:
>         http://www.cambridge.apple.com/dylan/drm/drm-1.html

Thanks for making your great work available. A hint for those who want to
download the html-sources and view them locally: You can access the whole
directory (i.e. just leave the "drm-1.html" away in the above URL), which
presents you with a list of all files. (To make this even easier and save
bandwidth, it may be a good idea to make the files available as a .tar.gz
file ;-)

   *   wonder everyday   *   nothing in particular   *   all is special   *

Wed, 08 Apr 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 Dylan Reference Manual online now

Quote:

> The DRM at Apple's Web site describes language features not found in the
> DIRM [and also looks great].

I would also like to see a copy of the whole thing in a single .tar
or self-extracting archive, so that I can easily pull down a local copy.

-Paul-

Sat, 11 Apr 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 Dylan Reference Manual online now

Quote:

> >it may be a good idea to make the files available as a .tar.gz file ;-)
> This is a great tip, but we still have to manually download all the files
> (100+). Has someone already done it?
> If so, could you please post it in any ftp site or mail it to me?

I didn't see any remarks allowing a redistribution. If that's allowed by the
copyright holders, it would surely be possible to find some place to put it,
but then the maintainers might as well put it on their ftp server associated
with this WWW site. If anyone with sufficient legal information is following
this discussion, it would be nice to get some more or less official feedback
whether non-commercial redistribution of the html version is allowed or not,
or perhaps the lawyers are still trying to phrase it officially, or nobody's
bothering with this question, ...

(Formally, the copyright notice - which is phrased in a standard manner, and
most likely the one from the book, and maybe even supposed to cover software
delivered with the book - allows copy for normal use, including backups, but
no copies for others, whether for free or not, except when selling the whole
purchased product with all copies. Having downloaded it legally from the WWW
[allowed, since it was announced, and thus permitted in writing from Apple],
does that imply you've "purchased" it for $0.00, and when you give your copy
to someone else, you'll have to download ("purchase") it again to obtain the
right to use or distribute it again? Hmm, who said matters of law have to be
boring? ;-)

   *   wonder everyday   *   nothing in particular   *   all is special   *

Sun, 12 Apr 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 Dylan Reference Manual online now

Quote:

> >Thanks for making your great work available. A hint for those who want to
> >download the html-sources and view them locally: You can access the whole
> >directory (i.e. just leave the "drm-1.html" away in the above URL), which
> >presents you with a list of all files. (To make this even easier and save
> >bandwidth, it may be a good idea to make the files available as a .tar.gz
> >file ;-)

> This is a great tip, but we still have to manually download all the files
> (100+). Has someone already done it?

You can use FTP to get the whole directory in one go. Seems to work fine
viewing locally.
ftp://www.cambridge.apple.com/pub/www/dylan/drm/
(136 items,  < 1 MB)

Sun, 12 Apr 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 Dylan Reference Manual online now

Quote:

>> The DRM at Apple's Web site describes language features not found in the
>> DIRM [and also looks great].
>I would also like to see a copy of the whole thing in a single .tar
>or self-extracting archive, so that I can easily pull down a local copy.

Seconded.

Mon, 13 Apr 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 Dylan Reference Manual online now

Quote:

>This is a great tip, but we still have to manually download all the files
>(100+). Has someone already done it?

  Yes.  And it is relatively easy to get all 100... at least in Unix ftp.

        ftp -i www.cambridge.apple.com
         [ login in as anonymous ... 'cd' to right directory ... ]

        ftp-> binary

        ftp-> mget *

        which should download everything in that directory  (without asking
        do you really want each file ).

  However, for the moment...

        ftp://ftp.cc.gatech.edu/pub/lyman/

  contains both a tar file and a gzipped tar file.

                drm.tar
                drm.tar.gz

   Both should be transfered as binary.

P.S. by the way the two gifs ...
                drm-116-image-2.gif
                drm-56-image-1.gif

    are just blank... did WebMaker {*filter*}on them or what????

--
Lyman S. Taylor                 Scully: "The answers are there, you just have

                                Mulder: "That's why they put the "I" in FBI."

Mon, 13 Apr 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 Dylan Reference Manual online now

Quote:
>   Yes.  And it is relatively easy to get all 100... at least in Unix ftp.

I don't use Unix ftp (yet). I'm stuck with DOS and Windows clients
at the moment. Anyway, that's just a matter of efficiency. At least
it would be _possible_.

Quote:
>         ftp -i www.cambridge.apple.com
>          [ login in as anonymous ... 'cd' to right directory ... ]

Which directory? I've tried /dylan/drm, but the drm directory appears
not be there.

Quote:
>   However, for the moment...

>         ftp://ftp.cc.gatech.edu/pub/lyman/

>   contains both a tar file and a gzipped tar file.

For those who haven't looked yet, the files have been removed.
I guess I'll have to use a spider instead of ftp, and grab the
pages from the http server.
--
<URL:http://www.demon.co.uk/community/index.html>
<URL:http://www.enrapture.com/cybes/namaste.html>

Wed, 15 Apr 1998 03:00:00 GMT

1. Online Reference Manual?

2. The reference manual is now online

3. The reference manual is now online

4. The reference manual is now online

5. online Ada Language Reference Manual

6. online Ada Language Reference Manual

7. CoderWiki.com - A free online reference manual

8. Book FS: Dylan Reference Manual, by Andrew Shalit.

9. How update of Dylan reference manual?

10. How update of Dylan reference manual?

11. Dylan Reference Manual questions

12. Dylan Reference Manual and MacWorld