Installing Dylan on SuSE Linux 8
Author Message
 Installing Dylan on SuSE Linux 8

I am not going to complain but it took me one week to decide whether to
install Dylan or not. I find it utterly confusing what to do. What I
have gathered so far is the fact you only need the binaries on Linux in
order to have your Dylan installed - right?

I downloaded gwydion-dylan-2.3.10-x86-linux.tar.gz in the morning. But
what next? If I change to /bin and try ./d2c I do get the error message:

./d2c: error while loading shared libraries:
libstream-extensions-dylan.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such
file or directory.

Is there somewhere a Makefile which sets appropiate entries of the Dylan
shared object library files?

If I try to install them ( http://www.*-*-*.com/ )
in /usr/local all what I get is a /usr/local directory which is
cluttered up by Dylan directories. Come on guys are you sure this is the
right way to make Dylan popular?

One more thing: there is nowhere a Readme with the distribution.

S. Gonzi

Sat, 05 Nov 2005 14:18:38 GMT
 Installing Dylan on SuSE Linux 8

Quote:
> ./d2c: error while loading shared libraries:
> libstream-extensions-dylan.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such
> file or directory.

I have copied all lib files of dylan to /lib... and it worked....

Quote:

> Is there somewhere a Makefile which sets appropiate entries of the Dylan
> shared object library files?

> If I try to install them (http://www.gwydiondylan.org/downloads/INSTALL)
> in /usr/local all what I get is a /usr/local directory which is
> cluttered up by Dylan directories. Come on guys are you sure this is the
> right way to make Dylan popular?

I agree completly...

Sat, 05 Nov 2005 19:43:15 GMT
 Installing Dylan on SuSE Linux 8

Quote:

> I am not going to complain but it took me one week to decide whether
> to install Dylan or not. I find it utterly confusing what to do. What
> I have gathered so far is the fact you only need the binaries on Linux
> in order to have your Dylan installed - right?

The binaries, and an installation of the Boehm-Weiser garbage
collector.

You can also build from source, if you have enough RAM and
patience. To do this, you need to pass "--enable-mindy-bootstrap" to
configure. The process is somewhat lengthy, but currently the
best-working way to make Gwydion work on a system where it doesn't
fall right out of the package management system.

Quote:
> ./d2c: error while loading shared libraries:
> libstream-extensions-dylan.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No
> such file or directory.

If the binary tarball is not installed in /usr/local, you need to set
LD_LIBRARY_PATH to /where/ever/lib/dylan/2.3.10/x86-linux-gcc, in
addition to DYLANDIR.

This information is missing from the INSTALL file, which was written
in the days before shared library support.  We never noticed, sorry.

Quote:
> If I try to install them
> (http://www.gwydiondylan.org/downloads/INSTALL) in /usr/local all what
> I get is a /usr/local directory which is cluttered up by Dylan
> directories.

Hm, it should properly extract into bin, lib/dyan, etc...

Quote:
> Come on guys are you sure this is the right way to make
> Dylan popular?

Well, the binary tarballs are admittedly not in the best shape.
Usually, the packages are better maintained.  Unfortunately we have no
maintainer for the RPMs at the moment.

Quote:
> One more thing: there is nowhere a Readme with the distribution.

It's in the source distribution.  But it might indeed be a good idea
to distribute it with the binary as well.

Andreas

--
"Share your knowledge. It's a way to achieve immortality."
  -- His Holiness the 14th Dalai Lama Tenzin Gyatso

Sun, 06 Nov 2005 02:14:37 GMT

1. Installing Squeak with SuSE Linux

2. Installing Poplog under SuSE Linux 7.3

3. Re. Installing Poplog under SuSE Linux 7.3

4. installing idle on Suse Linux 6.4

5. How to install a package under (SuSE) Linux?

6. Installing Gwydion Dylan on x86 Linux

7. the old free linux poplog comes to life on suse linux

8. can't install vw5i.4 on suse 7.1

9. Install oberon on suse 5.3

10. Soliton APL and SuSE Linux again

11. Soliton APL and SuSE Linux