question
Author Message
 question

  You probably should check with Apple before you commerically
  advertise  an implementation as "Foo Dylan".  Or at least say  "Foo
Dylan(tm)"
  and shuffle a footnote about DYLAN being a trademark of Apple somewhere.
  [ Err, I just checked  www.gwydiondylan.org homepage and it doesn't conform
to the
    above. However, it might be a prudent addition. ]

  [ A number of folks who have Java products don't include "Java" in the
product's
    name.  Again to avoid running into Sun's trademark within their own
product's
    name.  The "java badging/logo" is another whole other can of worms.  ]

Quote:
> name "Dylan" without charge.  That was some years ago, that group inside
> Apple no longer exists, and I have no idea of the legal status of using
> the trademark today.

   I strongly suspect that as long as Apple gets some recognition and the
name
   acknowledged in someway as a trademark then the Apple Legal "attack dogs"
   won't bother you.

   The goverment formally abandoned the Ada trademark.  I seriously doubt
   a commerical corporate entity would do the same. Even if they aren't
really
   using it.

Lyman

Tue, 20 Nov 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 question

To whom it may concern:

I was wondering whether the Dylan language "belongs" to Harlequin and Apple
or if the language itself is a open standard?  Thank you for the
clarification.

-Daryl Moore

Wed, 21 Nov 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 question
In article

Quote:

> I was wondering whether the Dylan language "belongs" to Harlequin and Apple
> or if the language itself is a open standard?

Dylan is an open standard.  Anyone is free to implement Dylan, the language.

The name "Dylan" is trademarked by Apple.  Their stated intention was to
allow any implementation that passed a set of standard tests to use the
name "Dylan" without charge.  That was some years ago, that group inside
Apple no longer exists, and I have no idea of the legal status of using
the trademark today.

-- Bruce

Wed, 21 Nov 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 question

Quote:

> The name "Dylan" is trademarked by Apple.  Their stated intention was to
> allow any implementation that passed a set of standard tests to use the
> name "Dylan" without charge.  That was some years ago, that group inside
> Apple no longer exists, and I have no idea of the legal status of using
> the trademark today.

Peter Hinely wrote me a few weeks ago with an interesting URL:

  http://trademarks.uspto.gov/access/search-mark.html

If Apple holds a trademark on Dylan, the United States government does not
appear to be aware of it. Perhaps it is unregistered? Anybody who really
cares about this issue should find a good lawyer and check things out.

Cheers,
Eric

Wed, 21 Nov 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 question

Quote:

> If Apple holds a trademark on Dylan, the United States government does not
> appear to be aware of it. Perhaps it is unregistered?

Interesting.

Apple's 1992 Dylan book claims it is a trademark of Apple.  So does the
Harlequin "Dylan Programming" book -- there's a little TM right on the
cover, and the copyright page says it's an Apple trademark.

Apple's "Dylan Technology Release" manuals make no mention of Dylan as a
trademark.

-- Bruce

Thu, 22 Nov 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 question

Quote:

>> If Apple holds a trademark on Dylan, the United States government does not
>> appear to be aware of it. Perhaps it is unregistered?

>Interesting.

>Apple's 1992 Dylan book claims it is a trademark of Apple.  So does the
>Harlequin "Dylan Programming" book -- there's a little TM right on the
>cover, and the copyright page says it's an Apple trademark.

If it has a TM rather than an R, then it's an unregistered trademark.

Thu, 22 Nov 2001 03:00:00 GMT

1. Questions-Questions-Questions-Answers-Answers

2. Question(Questions, questions...)

3. Newbie Question: Realbasic Question

4. Questions Questions

5. Questions and more questions...

6. Browse Question / Report question

7. ***Data buffering question. Long post, lots of questions

8. questions, questions!

9. Questions, questions!

10. MicroWorlds Pro "QUESTION Set Size" question

11. OS/2 REXX Question (Object REXX Question Inside)

12. Doc question and Mount question