FD and the GNU linker?
Author Message
 FD and the GNU linker?

I noticed that in order to link against "arbitrary" C libraries, that
I needed the microsoft linker support package. I think I can get msvc
at an extremely discounted rate since I'm a student, but I'm trying to
understand why another linker is necessary. The only "arbitrary"
libraries which I'm interested in using are compilable with
mingw/cygnus and, since those are GNU tools, is it possible to use the
GNU linker with those libraries? I'm hesitant to spend money on msvc
since my tool of choice will probably be mingw, and I don't really
feel like using an overly-complicated development environment to
accomplish what ./configure; make can easily do. :)

Thu, 12 Dec 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 FD and the GNU linker?

Quote:

> GNU linker with those libraries? I'm hesitant to spend money on msvc
> since my tool of choice will probably be mingw, and I don't really
> feel like using an overly-complicated development environment to
> accomplish what ./configure; make can easily do. :)

You can download the microsoft linker from their platform SDK site as
part of the platform SDK:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/downloads/sdks/platform/platform.asp

This works fine with FD and it is the linker I've been using.

Chris.
--
http://www.double.co.nz/dylan

Fri, 13 Dec 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 FD and the GNU linker?

Quote:

>> GNU linker with those libraries? I'm hesitant to spend money on msvc
>> since my tool of choice will probably be mingw, and I don't really
>> feel like using an overly-complicated development environment to
>> accomplish what ./configure; make can easily do. :)

>You can download the microsoft linker from their platform SDK site as
>part of the platform SDK:

>http://msdn.microsoft.com/downloads/sdks/platform/platform.asp

That is, you can download it free of charge.  This is the linker
most of the FD developers use, myself included.
Quote:
>This works fine with FD and it is the linker I've been using.

>Chris.
>--
>http://www.double.co.nz/dylan

Fri, 13 Dec 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 FD and the GNU linker?

Quote:

> ...  snip ...
> >http://msdn.microsoft.com/downloads/sdks/platform/platform.asp

> That is, you can download it free of charge.  This is the linker
> most of the FD developers use, myself included.

> >This works fine with FD and it is the linker I've been using.

> >Chris.
> >--
> >http://www.double.co.nz/dylan

Were I you I would be uncomfortable betting my company that MS would
continue to provide tools gratis.  Would the CygWin (gnu) linker work?

OTOH, ISE Eiffel until just recently required that one purchase a C
compiler in order to use it on windows (Borland's release of a free command
line bcc5.5 freed them of this constraint), so maybe it will work. But
there's a lot of history that says companies should be wary of tying their
business to MS "generosity".

  charleshixsn.vcf
< 1K Download

Sun, 15 Dec 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 FD and the GNU linker?

Quote:

>> ...  snip ...
>> >http://msdn.microsoft.com/downloads/sdks/platform/platform.asp

>> That is, you can download it free of charge.  This is the linker
>> most of the FD developers use, myself included.

>> >This works fine with FD and it is the linker I've been using.

>> >Chris.
>> >--
>> >http://www.double.co.nz/dylan

>Were I you I would be uncomfortable betting my company that MS would
>continue to provide tools gratis.  Would the CygWin (gnu) linker work?

Nobody bet Fun-O on anything.  The gnu linker works just fine.

>OTOH, ISE Eiffel until just recently required that one purchase a C
>compiler in order to use it on windows (Borland's release of a free command
>line bcc5.5 freed them of this constraint), so maybe it will work. But
>there's a lot of history that says companies should be wary of tying their
>business to MS "generosity".

Mon, 16 Dec 2002 03:00:00 GMT

1. fd variables in GNU Prolog

2. system:fd-stream-fd

3. linking to a dll using the GNU linker and Harlequin Dylan

4. gnu f77 linker Problems

5. TCL import libraries for gnu linker?

6. Turbo Linker emulating Microsoft Linker

7. Turbo Linker emulating Microsoft linker

8. XP: cannot get hostname when mixing GNU C and GNU Fortran

9. call GNU g++ functions from GNU g77 program

11. Making GNU lisp 1.0 with GNU cc 2.6.0

12. FIG and FD -- kaput?