Dylan language mapping for CORBA
Author Message
 Dylan language mapping for CORBA

Hi,

in order to use a programming language with a CORBA (Common Object Request
Broker Architecture) compliant object request broker, there must be a
so-called Language Mapping.

These language mapping exist for C, C++, Smalltalk and Java. Work is under
way for Ada and there are associated things going on for Lisp at least in
the group building the Inter-Language-Unification (ILU).

Well, what about Dylan?

     Has Harlequin or Gwydion already thought/discussed about this or
     even produced something to allow CORBA-compliant calls usind
     Dylan in a CORBA-environment like Orbix?

I think that CORBA (and its framework, the Object Management Architecture,
OMA) is a very important technology. IBM has embraced it in SOM and
Netscape tells us, its using a Object Request Broker (VisiBroker) for their
Java-based Netscape One intranet suite.

We are in heavy preparation to get Dylan into our software projects and we
are looking for network-interoperability with C++ and Java-based
applications (both client and server systems). Dylan is our language of
choice for all the complex stuff like OO-MUDs and other neat things.

The fastest way to get Dylan involved on an incremental basis would be to
use it as a "high-level" system using "low-level" C++ based objects.

Tim

---
Humans will survive because they are basically insane - Laurie Anderson
---
The truth about MacOS: not stable
The truth about NewtonOS: not stable
The truth about OS/2: no 32bit drivers
---

Mon, 05 Apr 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Dylan language mapping for CORBA

Quote:
> These language mapping exist for C, C++, Smalltalk and Java. Work is under
> way for Ada and there are associated things going on for Lisp at least in
> the group building the Inter-Language-Unification (ILU).

You've got this a bit wrong.  The official mappings exist for

Ada95, C, C++, and SmallTalk.

Java is in process (as is COBOL) but probably on a fast track RFP
(like Ada95).  The Ada mapping was completed and submitted in May of
'95 and officially accepted this past spring by TC vote, OMG 95-5-16.
There are at least two vendors: IONA Orbix/Ada and OC systems with
DSOM.

/Jon
--
Jon Anthony
Organon Motives, Inc.

Mon, 05 Apr 1999 03:00:00 GMT

1. Mapping of Corba IDL to functional language?

2. CORBA IDL to Lisp Language Mapping

3. Combat/Tcl available for download (CORBA language mapping)

4. CORBA IDL to Lisp Language Mapping

5. (fwd) harlequin's dylan-corba mailing list switching to MIT's info-dylan

6. CORBA IDL to Eiffel Mapping

7. CORBA IDL/Eiffel Mapping

8. Eiffel and th CORBA architecture : a mapping

9. CORBA IDL->FPL mappings Again!!)

10. IDL->FP mapping (ala CORBA)!!!!!

11. CORBA IDL to Eiffel Mapping

12. Defining a CORBA IDL mapping for Scheme?