Dylan on MacOS
Author Message
 Dylan on MacOS

Hi all,

Is learning Dylan on Mac even feasible ? I believe I saw Mindy
somewhere, but is the browser and IDE available for downloads or not too
old Developer CDs. I am just interested in learning dylan, but would
like to use this Mac.

Thanks
Pradeep

Sun, 23 Dec 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Dylan on MacOS

It's feasible.
Mindy on MacOS is quite nice: you can compile using a dialog or
AppleScript (or drop a LID on a Scriptlet), and the runner just uses the
standard command line dialog. (OK, I'm biased, I ported it...) I hope to
get the patches into the main source tree soon. And fix the bugs.
Download it and give it a go, you'll need BBEdit lite or CW to work with
source code. It contains a "Hello World" project.
The Apple Dylan TR CD is harder to get hold of. I got a copy from Full
Moon but I think it might have been their last. Email Apple to get them
to pop it on their FTP server or even (dreaming) open source it.

- Rob.

Quote:

> Hi all,

> Is learning Dylan on Mac even feasible ? I believe I saw Mindy
> somewhere, but is the browser and IDE available for downloads or not too
> old Developer CDs. I am just interested in learning dylan, but would
> like to use this Mac.

> Thanks
> Pradeep

                           __            __    _      __

http://www.lostwax.com/  / /__/ _ \(_-</ __/  | |/ |/ / - `/\ \ /
                        /____/\___/___/\__/   |__/|__/\_,_//_\_\

Sun, 23 Dec 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Dylan on MacOS

Quote:

> Is learning Dylan on Mac even feasible ? I believe I saw Mindy
> somewhere, but is the browser and IDE available for downloads or not too
> old Developer CDs.

What browser and IDE?  Mindy is just a command-line compiler and bytecode
interpreter.  It's very much like javac/java from Sun's JDK.

And up-to-date Mac version of Mindy is availabe by following the links
from <http://www.gwydiondylan.org>.  One of the mirror site URLS for it is
<ftp://folk.federated.com/pub/gd/MacOS/PowerMacMindy2.3.1.sit.hqx>.

At one time there was a version of Mindy that worked inside the
CodeWarrior IDE.  That was however an old version of Mindy and a very old
version of CodeWarrior.

Mindy should be just fine for learning Dylan.  Bear in mind that it's not
a toy system -- it is capable of compiling and running d2c, and using that
to compile d2c itself.  d2c is a very large and complicated body of Dylan
code -- around 150,000 lines of Dylan code including libraries and test
programs and around 5 MB of source code.  Mindy has to be quite complete
and robust to do that.

I want Dylan to run on the Mac myself, but I'm more interested in d2c.
Once a currently experimental branch of d2c is completed (one that makes
d2c produce only C source, no assembler) I intend to see if I can get d2c
to cross-comppile to the Mac, by using Linux (or linuxPPC) to compile to C
code and then compile the C on the Mac.

-- Bruce

Sun, 23 Dec 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Dylan on MacOS

Quote:

> At one time there was a version of Mindy that worked inside the
> CodeWarrior IDE.  That was however an old version of Mindy and a very old
> version of CodeWarrior.

Absolutely. It is now very broken. I'd love to update this but I haven't
the time.

Quote:
> I want Dylan to run on the Mac myself, but I'm more interested in d2c.
> Once a currently experimental branch of d2c is completed (one that makes
> d2c produce only C source, no assembler) I intend to see if I can get d2c
> to cross-comppile to the Mac, by using Linux (or linuxPPC) to compile to C
> code and then compile the C on the Mac.

I thought that some critical sections of the d2c runtime were in native
assembler, although the LinuxPPC port should help. The main problem
would be getting gcc to compile the output, gcc on the Mac hasn't been
updated for 2 years at least.

- Rob.

                           __            __    _      __

http://www.lostwax.com/  / /__/ _ \(_-</ __/  | |/ |/ / - `/\ \ /
                        /____/\___/___/\__/   |__/|__/\_,_//_\_\

Sun, 23 Dec 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Dylan on MacOS

Quote:

> I thought that some critical sections of the d2c runtime were in native
> assembler, although the LinuxPPC port should help.

I didn't notice any (other than the runtime generation of code for
callbacks, of which I just wrote the PPC version) but then I haven't
looked *that* hard.

Quote:
> The main problem would be getting gcc to compile the output, gcc on the
> Mac hasn't been updated for 2 years at least.

Do you have evidence that d2c needs gcc and no other C compiler will do?

-- Bruce

Sun, 23 Dec 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Dylan on MacOS

Quote:

> > I thought that some critical sections of the d2c runtime were in native
> > assembler, although the LinuxPPC port should help.

> I didn't notice any (other than the runtime generation of code for
> callbacks, of which I just wrote the PPC version) but then I haven't
> looked *that* hard.

This is the impression I got from the "{*filter*}oline Code" discussion. I
may have misunderstood. Also the heap stuff, which I think was being
changed to C.

Quote:
> Do you have evidence that d2c needs gcc and no other C compiler will do?

Again, this is the impression I have got. If we could feed d2c's output
to CW or even MrC, that would be great. OS-X uses egcs now.

- Rob.

                           __            __    _      __

http://www.*-*-*.com/ ;/ /__/ _ \(_-</ __/  | |/ |/ / - `/\ \ /
                        /____/\___/___/\__/   |__/|__/\_,_//_\_\

Sun, 23 Dec 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Dylan on MacOS

Quote:

> This is the impression I got from the "{*filter*}oline Code" discussion. I
> may have misunderstood. Also the heap stuff, which I think was being
> changed to C.

The active Gwydion volunteers have been replacing the assembly-language
static heaps with a C heap. This should fix any portability problems in
that area. As for the {*filter*}olines, you can ignore them for now.

Quote:
> > Do you have evidence that d2c needs gcc and no other C compiler will do?

> Again, this is the impression I have got. If we could feed d2c's output
> to CW or even MrC, that would be great. OS-X uses egcs now.

Gwydion has been compiled with GCC and MSVC. If CodeWarrior can handle the
strain of optimizing everything, you should be able to make it work. I'd
recommend starting with OS X, the GNU tools and ECGS. Since OS X is
essentially BSD (and we support BSD), this shouldn't take more than a week.

Once you've got a working copy under OS X, you can decide what to do with
earlier versions of the MacOS.

Cheers,
Eric

Sun, 23 Dec 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Dylan on MacOS

Quote:

> > > I thought that some critical sections of the d2c runtime were in native
> > > assembler, although the LinuxPPC port should help.

> > I didn't notice any (other than the runtime generation of code for
> > callbacks, of which I just wrote the PPC version) but then I haven't
> > looked *that* hard.

> This is the impression I got from the "{*filter*}oline Code" discussion. I
> may have misunderstood. Also the heap stuff, which I think was being
> changed to C.

Right the heap stuff is beoing changed to C already.

And the PPC {*filter*}oline stuff was written by me, so shouldn't provide too
much of an obstacle to me making it work on MacOS. :-)

-- Bruce

Mon, 24 Dec 2001 03:00:00 GMT

1. Status of Dylan on MacOS X

2. MacOS X, WallStreet & Dylan

3. Gwydion Dylan - MacOS X Carbon Demos

4. Integrating Dylan's GC with MacOS (pascal/C)

5. ADA for MacOS 9 and MacOS X?

6. archives of info-dylan/comp.lang.dylan available

7. Dylan vs DyLan

8. (fwd) harlequin's dylan-corba mailing list switching to MIT's info-dylan

9. lazy.dylan 0.1 -- add ML/Scheme-style lazy evaluation to Dylan

10. Dylan and Java [was: Harlequin Dylan - Update]

11. Dylan Programming Book and Apple Dylan

12. Dylan, guys, Dylan.