Functional Objects to take over Harlequin Dylan
Author Message
 Functional Objects to take over Harlequin Dylan

For Immediate Release:

FUNCTIONAL OBJECTS TO TAKE OVER DEVELOPMENT AND SALES OF HARLEQUIN DYLAN

Functional Objects, Inc., a New Company Formed by Key Members of
Harlequin's Dylan Team, Obtains Rights to Harlequin's Implementation
of the Dylan Programming Language

SOMERVILLE, MA; October 7, 1999: Functional Objects, Inc. announced
today that it is taking over all development, marketing, sales and
support of Harlequin's programming environment product formerly known
as Harlequin(r) Dylan(tm).  Functional Objects is a new company
founded by key members of Harlequin's Dylan development team.

"We are very e{*filter*}d about the future prospects for this technology,
and intend to ensure its development on a long term basis", said
Jonathan Bachrach, president of Functional Objects. "We have spent
over seven years developing this product and are pleased to be able to
determine its future.  We have a major Windows(r) release around the
corner, and we are evaluating a variety of future strategic
directions. Customers tell us they want Dylan everywhere, not just on
Windows. We'd love to give them what they want."  Dr. Bachrach
indicated that announcements would be forthcoming on the new company's
business and product strategy.

The Dylan language was initially designed by Apple Computer in
conjunction with researchers from Harlequin, Carnegie Mellon
University and other leading companies and research institutions.  It
is an object-oriented dynamic language that combines the efficiency of
C++ with the simplicity and ease-of-use of Java and
Smalltalk. Harlequin Dylan 1.0 (released in 1998) was the first
commercial implementation of the Dylan language for Windows platforms.

The software being transferred to Functional Objects includes a
sophisticated Compiler and an Integrated Development Environment for
the Dylan language, ideal for creating Windows 95/98/NT applications,
libraries, ActiveX controls, OLE objects, and CORBA components.  A new
2.0 release, now in Beta, will be available shortly from Functional
Objects, and current Harlequin Dylan customers will receive full
support from the new company.

###

Editors' Notes:

About Functional Objects

Established in September 1999, Functional Objects is a new company
formed to provide state-of-the-art software development tools based on
the Dylan programming language.  For more information, please visit
Functional Objects' Web site at www.functionalobjects.com.

Harlequin is a registered trademark of Harlequin Limited. Dylan is a
trademark of Apple Computer Inc.  ActiveX, Windows 95/98/NT are
trademarks or registered trademarks of Microsoft Corporation. All
other brand or product names are the trademarks or registered
trademarks of their respective owners. Functional Objects, Inc. makes
no warranty and accepts no liability for any loss or damage arising
from the use of information or particulars in this document.

For more information please contact:

Dr. Jonathan Bachrach
President
Functional Objects, Inc.

phone: 1-617-921-2855

Tue, 26 Mar 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Functional Objects to take over Harlequin Dylan

Quote:
> FUNCTIONAL OBJECTS TO TAKE OVER DEVELOPMENT AND SALES OF HARLEQUIN DYLAN

Good luck!!

Tue, 26 Mar 2002 03:00:00 GMT

1. (fwd) harlequin's dylan-corba mailing list switching to MIT's info-dylan

2. Dylan and Java [was: Harlequin Dylan - Update]

3. HARLEQUIN DYLAN and C FFI

4. Small d2c and Harlequin Dylan incompatibility

5. first attempt at Harlequin-Dylan

6. Harlequin Dylan 2.0 beta 2 is now available

7. Future of Harlequin Dylan

8. ODBC database with Harlequin Dylan

9. Harlequin Dylan Update

10. using winInet with harlequin dylan

11. Beginners problem with Harlequin Dylan

12. Beginers problem with Harlequin Dylan