Gwydion platforms?
Author Message
 Gwydion platforms?

   What microprocessor architectures will you be targeting with your initial
   Gwydion releases?

We are initially developing on Unix systems (primarily HP and Sparc),
but we plan a port to Windows NT on Intel.  We'll probably do a
PowerPC implementation as well, but I'm not sure what the OS will be.

   What kind of support for threads will be provided?

There will be threads support, but the details are still under
discussion.  We hope to standardize this with the other Dylan vendors.

   Any thoughts about bringing Gwydion to the BeBox?

What's a "BeBox"?

OK, don't send mail, but we haven't seen one of those out here in the
backwoods, and right now we have no particular reason to believe it
will be a popular platform.  If it takes off, and if we can get our
hands on a few, we'll think about doing a port.

   I guess that you have heard that Mklinux has been released for the
   6100/7100/8100 PowerMacs, so there is the possibility of Macs running
   Gwydion.

What's a "Mac"?  :-(

Actually, I'm typing this on a Mac, and I like Macs.  But given the
evident lack of interest in Dylan at (what's left of) Apple, and given
their shrinking market share, a Mac version of Gwydion is pretty low
on our list of priorities.  We might do a port for nostalgia's sake.

   On the cross-platform topic, rumor has it that Connectix will be releasing
   an x86 emulator program for the Mac in August.  If they make it perform
   well enough, Harlequin's DylanWorks might run acceptably on a Mac.

Certainly true, for some value of "acceptably".  It might beat
interpreted Java, for example.  But it probably wouldn't beat Apple's
Technology Release, which produces pretty good 68K code and which
should soon be running native on the PowerMac.  But if there is no
ongoing support, I guess that's irrelevant.

-- Scott

Principal Research Scientist            Phone:     412 268-2575
Department of Computer Science          Fax:       412 268-5576
Carnegie Mellon University              Latitude:  40:26:46 N
5000 Forbes Avenue                      Longitude: 79:56:55 W
Pittsburgh, PA 15213                    Mood:      :-)

Sat, 14 Nov 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 Gwydion platforms?

      What microprocessor architectures will you be targeting with your initial
      Gwydion releases?

   We are initially developing on Unix systems (primarily HP and Sparc),
   but we plan a port to Windows NT on Intel.  We'll probably do a
   PowerPC implementation as well, but I'm not sure what the OS will be.

I hope the NT/Win95 port comes sooner rather than later. Is there any good
reason HP and Sparc are at the top of the list, other than "that's what we
have"? I'm not trying to be an ass, I'm just curious about your strategy.
I still think Dylan can take off if the Windows environments are there...

      What kind of support for threads will be provided?

   There will be threads support, but the details are still under
   discussion.  We hope to standardize this with the other Dylan vendors.

Is there anyone besides Harlequin? If not, you guys can probably standardize
pretty easily, especially since there is a threads library in Mindy now.

      I guess that you have heard that Mklinux has been released for the
      6100/7100/8100 PowerMacs, so there is the possibility of Macs running
      Gwydion.

   What's a "Mac"?  :-(

   Actually, I'm typing this on a Mac, and I like Macs.  But given the
   evident lack of interest in Dylan at (what's left of) Apple, and given
   their shrinking market share, a Mac version of Gwydion is pretty low
   on our list of priorities.  We might do a port for nostalgia's sake.

That is great news! The sooner the Dylan community gets over their dumping by
Apple, the better. Concentrate on the WindowsNT/95 port, and a Linux/Unix port.
Wait until Apple starts turning a profit before you commit resources to them.
The Mac is going the way of the Amiga, Apple the way of Commodore.

-- Brian

Sat, 14 Nov 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 Gwydion platforms?

Quote:
> We are initially developing on Unix systems (primarily HP and Sparc),
> but we plan a port to Windows NT on Intel.  We'll probably do a
> PowerPC implementation as well, but I'm not sure what the OS will be.

I'm very pleased to read that, thanks.

I feel a little like Cinderalla, when she's told that she _will_ go
to the ball! Perhaps that makes you my fairy godmother. ;-)

Quote:
>    What kind of support for threads will be provided?

> There will be threads support, but the details are still under
> discussion.  We hope to standardize this with the other Dylan vendors.

Excellent. It would be wonderful to be able to write cross-platform
threaded code in Dylan.

Thanks.
--
<URL:http://www.enrapture.com/cybes/> You can never browse enough.

Sat, 14 Nov 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 Gwydion platforms?

Quote:
> I hope the NT/Win95 port comes sooner rather than later. Is there any good
> reason HP and Sparc are at the top of the list, other than "that's what we
> have"? I'm not trying to be an ass, I'm just curious about your strategy.
> I still think Dylan can take off if the Windows environments are there...

I think that supporting the machines used at CMU would be a very good
idea. If it means that some of us have to wait a little longer, well,
can we complain? I don't think so. I'm also curious about the CMU
strategy, as the Gwydion overview doesn't answer all of our questions,
but I'm very happy with the answers given here, in this thread.

Quote:
>    Actually, I'm typing this on a Mac, and I like Macs.  But given the
>    evident lack of interest in Dylan at (what's left of) Apple, and given
>    their shrinking market share, a Mac version of Gwydion is pretty low
>    on our list of priorities.  We might do a port for nostalgia's sake.

> That is great news! The sooner the Dylan community gets over their dumping by
> Apple, the better. Concentrate on the WindowsNT/95 port, and a Linux/Unix port.
> Wait until Apple starts turning a profit before you commit resources to them.
> The Mac is going the way of the Amiga, Apple the way of Commodore.

This is certainly a common view, at least in my experience. If Dylan
needs Apple in order to succeed, then we're in trouble, coz there's
very little support coming from that direction.
--
<URL:http://www.enrapture.com/cybes/> You can never browse enough.

Sun, 15 Nov 1998 03:00:00 GMT

1. Cross platform, or platform independent fortran 90 compilers?

2. Module for generic platform information: platform.py

3. Module for generic platform information: platform.py

4. Gwydion Dylan 2.2.0 Released

5. Where to put gc libs for Gwydion Dylan 2.3.10

6. Gwydion Dylan 2.3.9 Released

7. Simpe Gwydion question

8. Gwydion & threads

9. Gwydion-Dylan 2.3.6 much bigger?

10. Gwydion Dylan Release 2.3.5

11. Gwydion make failure on OS X

12. Gwydion Dylan - MacOS X Carbon Demos