Harlequin things...
Author Message
 Harlequin things...

Hi there,

I'm using the Harlequin Personal (version 1.2 + servicepack 1 )
environment to learn Dylan.

While typing some exercises for the book "Dylan Programming" by
Feinberg et. al. i noticed the following:

? define variable *my-nr* :: <integer> = 7;
i thought this one is supposed define *my-n* of class integer. However
when i type

*my-n* := "seven",

Dylan does allow it and assigns "seven" to *my-n* !!!! Am i missing
something........

Something else is that i am using a dutch keyboard and have to use the
combination "AltGr + /" to get a "\" The harlequin environment does
not allow me to use the AltGr key so this is making things a bit
complex to use the special characters from windows from to to time.

Does someone have a clue ???
Cheers,
Marc

Thu, 13 Sep 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Harlequin things...

Quote:

> ? define variable *my-nr* :: <integer> = 7;
> *my-n* := "seven",

> Dylan does allow it and assigns "seven" to *my-n* !!!! Am i missing
> something........

I think this is because of doing it in the interactor which seems to
have less type checking than in a standard dylan project.

If I do exactly what you did in a file and compile it I get a warning
saying "Illegal assignment of variable "*my-n*" of type <integer> to
"seven". I also get an exception raised at run time.

Chris.

Fri, 14 Sep 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Harlequin things...
On 28 Mar 1999 22:42:28 +0100, Andy Armstrong

Quote:

>> Something else is that i am using a dutch keyboard and have to use
>> the combination "AltGr + /" to get a "\" The harlequin environment
>> does not allow me to use the AltGr key so this is making things a
>> bit complex to use the special characters from windows from to to
>> time.

>We consider this to be a big oversight in Harlequin Dylan that we plan
>to address in the near future. I'm afraid at this point I can't give
>you any firm commitments as to when, but it is a high priority for
>us.

>Not a big help for the moment, I hope this won't stop you from playing
>with Harlequin Dylan.

Oh, no. Comming from a Smalltalk (and cobol) environment I think Dylan
is quite interesting. I guess i have to use Ctrl + V a bit more than
usual.

Btw thanks for the fast reply

Cheers,
Marc

Fri, 14 Sep 2001 03:00:00 GMT

1. HARLEQUIN RELEASES ITS HARLEQUIN COMMON LISP ORB

2. Harlequin releases a free edition of MLWorks

3. Announce: Harlequin MLWorks Beta available

4. Harlequin Is Back!

5. Harlequin 1.2 still available?

6. HARLEQUIN DYLAN and C FFI

7. (fwd) harlequin's dylan-corba mailing list switching to MIT's info-dylan

8. Small d2c and Harlequin Dylan incompatibility

9. Harlequin?

10. first attempt at Harlequin-Dylan

11. Functional Objects to take over Harlequin Dylan

12. Harlequin Dylan 2.0 beta 2 is now available