multi-methods in TR CD ?
Author Message
 multi-methods in TR CD ?

Hi all,
I'm looking for an application or library with a large number of
true multi-methods, ie for which class overloading occurs on two or more
arguments. Is there a Dylan wizard around to say if Apple's TR CD-ROM
has that, and in which library to look ?

Thanks a lot,

Eric

--

Lucent Technologies - Bell Laboratories   (remove underscores)
Room 2C-234, 600 Mountain Avenue, P.O. Box 636      Phone: (908) 582-7153

Sun, 27 Jun 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 multi-methods in TR CD ?

Quote:

>Hi all,
>I'm looking for an application or library with a large number of
>true multi-methods, ie for which class overloading occurs on two or more
>arguments. Is there a Dylan wizard around to say if Apple's TR CD-ROM
>has that, and in which library to look ?

    The application framework on the CD uses multi-methods a lot.  Not
having my CD handy, I can't recall its exact name, but it's the one
documented in the biggest on the six printed manuals.
    The application of multi-methods I remember specifically was for event
handling.  It defines an <event> class, with many subclasses such as
<menu-event>, <mouse-event>, and so forth.  The related <event-handler>
heirarchy contains classes for things like an application object,
documents, windows, and GUI elements.  A do-event method is dispatched on
the receiver of <event-handler> or subclass, and the event from the <event>
classes.  It is particularly elegant, since it results in each
event/event-handler pair a programmer wishes to write being broken nicely
into a single method, as opposed to another switch in a case statement of a
big function in equivalent C++ frameworks.

Hope this helps.

Colin Simmonds

Tue, 29 Jun 1999 03:00:00 GMT

1. TR cd-rom: where ?

2. Multi-methods, multi-polymorphism in python

3. Programming CD-ROM/CD-R/CD-RW

4. Programming CD-ROM/CD-R/CD-RW

5. multi-platform python app on cd

6. Multi-methods in Eiffel

7. multi-method dispatch

8. Are all functions multi-methods?

9. Distributed objects vs. generic functions and multi-methods

10. sequences & multi-methods

11. Message passing versus multi-method

12. multi-methods