Finalization in Dylan
Author Message
 Finalization in Dylan

Hi,

I've started working on my "learn Dylan" project, and I have a rather
basic question.  It seems simple, but I can't seem to find the answers
-- pointers to the documentation will be even more appreciated than
actual answers, btw.

How do you do finalization in Dylan? I couldn't find anything in
either the "Types and Classes" or the "Built-In Functions" chapters of
the DRM. Is there some finalize generic function, or do I need to call
an explicit close() method in a block statement? Or does finalization
exist but in implementation specific form? (I'm playing with Gwydion
Dylan 2.2, if it matters.)

Neel

Wed, 05 Dec 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Finalization in Dylan

Quote:

> How do you do finalization in Dylan? I couldn't find anything in
> either the "Types and Classes" or the "Built-In Functions" chapters of
> the DRM. Is there some finalize generic function, or do I need to call
> an explicit close() method in a block statement? Or does finalization
> exist but in implementation specific form? (I'm playing with Gwydion
> Dylan 2.2, if it matters.)

> Neel

Hi Neel,

Finalization is not a part of the current language standard, but some
implementations of Dylan, such as Harlequin Dylan, already support it.
Gwydion Dylan should support finalization someday, and it will most likely
have the same exact interface as the finalization library present in
Harlequin Dylan.

If your programs are doing resource acquisition and release, you might
want to look into writing a macro similar to the with-open-file macro:
  with-open-file ()
    // do something with the file here
  end;

Hope this helps.

Dylan... the high-performance dynamic language
 * open-source Unix version:  http://www.gwydiondylan.org/
 * free Win32 version: http://www.harlequin.com/products/ads/dylan/

Thu, 06 Dec 2001 03:00:00 GMT

1. archives of info-dylan/comp.lang.dylan available

2. Dylan vs DyLan

3. (fwd) harlequin's dylan-corba mailing list switching to MIT's info-dylan

4. lazy.dylan 0.1 -- add ML/Scheme-style lazy evaluation to Dylan

5. Dylan and Java [was: Harlequin Dylan - Update]

6. Dylan Programming Book and Apple Dylan

7. Dylan, guys, Dylan.

8. Dylan is the Name was(Re: Dylan (Bob) eats rotten Apple (Computer))

9. Dylan alternative (was Dylan complexity)

10. Sudden interest in Dylan/Dylan should be open.

11. c.l.dylan overlap with Dylan mailing lists?

12. Dylan, guys, Dylan.