Put your Dylan advocacy where your mouths are. :-)
Author Message
 Put your Dylan advocacy where your mouths are. :-)

  It seems clear that the Apple Dylan TR sold well and so there seems to be
an interest for Dylan in the Apple community. At the same time we are
hearing news that Apple won't be pursuing Dylan and that the company hired
for porting Dylan to PowerMac is only going to do the port and not put any
improvements in. It even looks like Windows will have a usable version (a
version beyond a TR) before Macs!
  Is there an interest out there? I know I'm interested in learning Dylan,
but haven't had the easiest time of it using the Dylan TR. What we need is
a beginner course for Dylan offered for free over the internet.

  Related to this, there is a great group of people at:
http://www.*-*-*.com/
  that are, right now, offering a course on programming the Mac in C. It's
free and over the internet. It comes with a _great_ book that was written
specifically for the course (actually, it comes with two books - one for
Metroworks and one for Think C) and seems to be mentored by competent
people.
;-)

  So, is there anyone out there that knows Dylan and would be willing to
hold such a course? I'm sure it could be done through the MOST site. Or is
everyone else just learning Dylan like myself?

rob

This message was created and sent using the {*filter*}dog Mail System

Mon, 09 Nov 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 Put your Dylan advocacy where your mouths are. :-)

Excerpts from netnews.comp.lang.dylan: 24-May-96 Re: Put your Dylan

Quote:
> Now if we could only get this message through to Apple's high level
> management.  Apple's high level management makes the decisions
> about the future of such projects, so unless they understand that:

>         1. Dylan is not a "turkey".
[snip]
> Hmmm... I wonder if a petition would help?

FWIW, I'll sign.
Anyone else?

                                Noah Gibbs

Proud supporter of the
campaign to bring back:   -->   printk("lp%d on fire\n", minor);
Join us!  Add 2 your sig.

Tue, 10 Nov 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 Put your Dylan advocacy where your mouths are. :-)

    >Excerpts from netnews.comp.lang.dylan: 24-May-96 Re: Put your Dylan

      [..]

        >>         1. Dylan is not a "turkey".

      [..]

        >> Hmmm... I wonder if a petition would help?

    >FWIW, I'll sign.
    >Anyone else?

Woof!

--
  Paul

Wed, 11 Nov 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 Put your Dylan advocacy where your mouths are. :-)

Quote:

> Excerpts from netnews.comp.lang.dylan: 24-May-96 Re: Put your Dylan

> > Now if we could only get this message through to Apple's high level
> > management.  Apple's high level management makes the decisions
> > about the future of such projects, so unless they understand that:

> >         1. Dylan is not a "turkey".
> [snip]
> > Hmmm... I wonder if a petition would help?
> FWIW, I'll sign.
> Anyone else?

>                                 Noah Gibbs

> Proud supporter of the
> campaign to bring back:   -->   printk("lp%d on fire\n", minor);
> Join us!  Add 2 your sig.

The last I heard was that the Macintosh Lisp/CLOS are in fact going to
port the current Dylon over to the PowerMac just as soon as they finish
their PowerMac version. Why you ask are they doing the port? Well Dylon is
written using their LISP/CLOS development system.

Robert

Wed, 11 Nov 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 Put your Dylan advocacy where your mouths are. :-)

Quote:

> Now if we could only get this message through to Apple's high level
> management.  Apple's high level management makes the decisions
> about the future of such projects, so unless they understand that:

>         1. Dylan is not a "turkey".
>         2. There could be a lot of interest in Dylan if it was
>            developed properly.
>         3. Java is not the Holy language.
>         4. Integration of Dylan with other technologies such as OpenDoc
>            and the www is important for it to succeed.
>         5. Dylan has enough performance potential that it could eventually
>            be used for Apple's own projects.
>         6. 1996 is the year of the garbage collector. :)

> Hmmm... I wonder if a petition would help?

A petition with $700 million attached would help.

Fri, 13 Nov 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 Put your Dylan advocacy where your mouths are. :-)

Quote:

> > Now if we could only get this message through to Apple's high level
> > management.  Apple's high level management makes the decisions
> > about the future of such projects, so unless they understand that:

> >         1. Dylan is not a "turkey".
> >         2. There could be a lot of interest in Dylan if it was
> >            developed properly.
> >         3. Java is not the Holy language.
> >         4. Integration of Dylan with other technologies such as OpenDoc
> >            and the www is important for it to succeed.
> >         5. Dylan has enough performance potential that it could eventually
> >            be used for Apple's own projects.
> >         6. 1996 is the year of the garbage collector. :)

> > Hmmm... I wonder if a petition would help?

> A petition with $700 million attached would help.

I didn't read the original thread so bear with me. With Regards to Dylan,
the guys doing MCL (Macintosh Common Lisp, I forget the company name) Have
been contracted by Apple to carry forth the Dylan project. In fact, I was
at their booth at WWDC, and there is a beta version of a Native version of
Dylan on the MCL 3.0 CD. Plans are in the works for open doc support in
future releases planned for this year. If you need more info on the
current status of Dylan, try talking to the MCL guys and not Apple.

Roger Smith

Wed, 18 Nov 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 Put your Dylan advocacy where your mouths are. :-)

Quote:

> I didn't read the original thread so bear with me. With Regards to Dylan,
> the guys doing MCL (Macintosh Common Lisp, I forget the company name) Have
> been contracted by Apple to carry forth the Dylan project. In fact, I was
> at their booth at WWDC, and there is a beta version of a Native version of
> Dylan on the MCL 3.0 CD. Plans are in the works for open doc support in
> future releases planned for this year. If you need more info on the
> current status of Dylan, try talking to the MCL guys and not Apple.

I also spoke with the guys at WWDC and they simply reiterated that they
are porting Dylan TR to PowerPC MCL. They didn't say anything about a
long-term future commitment, but they were very positive about Dylan and
it sounded to me as if they would be willing to continue work on Dylan.

--
Chris Page        | Internet chain letters, adverti{*filter*}ts and SPAMs suck...
Don't Panic!      |

Wed, 18 Nov 1998 03:00:00 GMT

1. Where to put gc libs for Gwydion Dylan 2.3.10

2. FORTHing at the mouth

3. Compilers, Assemblers and the Right to Foam at the Mouth

4. folding hash function? (foot in mouth disease)

5. typo checking (foot in mouth disease again)

6. foot in mouth disease

7. Foot in mouth disease

8. SmallEiffel and EiffelBase (COLLECTION.put vs. ARRAY.put)

9. ftp_lib.tcl 2.3 bgerror after timeout of control connection on put and false-positive FTP puts

10. puts -timeout or puts should return n_written

11. I am not deaf, but am I mute?

12. archives of info-dylan/comp.lang.dylan available