Looking for Dylan O-O page
Author Message
 Looking for Dylan O-O page

I am preparing some HTML pages for use by an MSc course in Common
Lisp, and when I'm discussing CLOS I would like to be able to point
readers to something about how such things are done in Dylan.  For
instance, I'd like them to be able to read about such things as (but
not confined to) how Dylan views objects, multiple-inheritance, etc;
how modules can provide the access control that such people as java
programmers will probably expect to see in an O-O language; and the
rationale behind Dylan's class-precedence algorithm.

So if anyone has a suitable Web page and wouldm't mind me providing
a link to it, and perhaps making a local copy, please let me know.

-- jeff

Tue, 11 Sep 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Looking for Dylan O-O page

Quote:

> I am preparing some HTML pages for use by an MSc course in Common
> Lisp, and when I'm discussing CLOS I would like to be able to point
> readers to something about how such things are done in Dylan.  For
> instance, I'd like them to be able to read about such things as (but
> not confined to) how Dylan views objects, multiple-inheritance, etc;
> how modules can provide the access control that such people as java
> programmers will probably expect to see in an O-O language; and the
> rationale behind Dylan's class-precedence algorithm.

> So if anyone has a suitable Web page and wouldm't mind me providing
> a link to it, and perhaps making a local copy, please let me know.

> -- jeff

                      Dylan Programming Information
                      -----------------------------
This document summarizes the status of the various implementations of the
Dylan programming language and provides other information relevant to the
Dylan programming community.  This document (or a pointer to it) will be
posted to the comp.lang.dylan newsgroup on a semi-regular basis, and was
prepared by

Your comments and suggestions are welcome.

Dylan Language Summary
----------------------
Dylan is an advanced, object-oriented, dynamic language which supports
the rapid development of programs.  When needed, the programmer can
later optimize their programs for more efficient execution by supplying
type information to the compiler.  Nearly all entities in Dylan
(including functions, classes, and basic data types such as integers)
are first class objects. Additionally Dylan supports multiple
inheritance, polymorphism, multiple dispatch, keyword arguments, object
introspection, and many other advanced features which make programming
more productive.

We Want Your Code!
------------------
Please contribute to the Dylan community by sharing your Dylan libraries
with other Dylan programmers. Please upload code archives and a separate
text description to:
  ftp://berlin.ccc.de/pub/gd/incoming/

Harlequin Dylan
---------------
v1.2 of Harlequin Dylan has been released, and the Harlequin team is
hard at work on their next release, v2.0, which incorporates some major
improvements. Harlequin Dylan is an advanced development environment
which runs under Windows 95, 98, and NT, and generates native x86
machine-code. The Personal Edition of Harlequin Dylan is available for
*free* download.
  http://www.harlequin.com/products/ads/dylan/

Gwydion Dylan
-------------
v2.2 of Gwydion Dylan has been released.  Gwydion Dylan, an open source
implementation of Dylan for Unix-compatible operating systems, is
currently being maintained and extended by a group of volunteers. Source
code snapshots are being released almost daily.  Come join the fun!
  http://www.gwydiondylan.org/

Apple Dylan Technology Release
------------------------------
Project defunct, though the released development environment should still
run under versions of MacOS up to 8.5.1.  This screenshot shows a few of the
features of TR's advanced development environment:
  ftp://berlin.ccc.de/pub/gd/misc/browsers1.png

Dylan Code Repository
---------------------
Whether you need a priority queue or just a plain old foobar, someone may
have implemented it already. Check out the Dylan Code Repository...
software reuse at its finest:
  ftp://berlin.ccc.de/pub/gd/contributions/

Recent News
-----------
* Harlequin Dylan v1.2 released
* Harlequin Dylan Enterprise Edition released with CORBA support
  http://www.harlequin.com/products/ads/dylan/editions.shtml#enterprise
* Gwydion Dylan v2.2 released -
  Pre-built distributions available for most Unix systems.
* Gwydion Dylan supports award-winning MySQL database management system
* Gwydion Dylan's Mindy ported to the BeOS

Resources
---------
* Advanced Dylan Tutorial
  http://gwydiondylan.org/gdref/tutorial/tutorial.html
* The Dylan Reference Manual
  http://www.harlequin.com/products/ads/dylan/doc/drm/
* Dylan / Java Source Code Comparison
  http://www.harlequin.com/products/ads/dylan/dvj/dvjframe.html
* The Dylan Evangelists
  http://dylan.prinz.org/
* Dylan World
  http://www-dylan.uchicago.edu/
* Dylan Exchange
  http://dylanpro.com/DylanExchange.html
* The Dylan FAQ-O-Matic
  http://www.randomhacks.com/cgi-bin/fom

                           Keep the faith!

Dylan... the high-performance dynamic language
 * open-source Unix version:  http://www.gwydiondylan.org/
 * free Win32 version: http://www.harlequin.com/products/ads/dylan/

Tue, 11 Sep 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Looking for Dylan O-O page

Quote:

> I am preparing some HTML pages for use by an MSc course in Common
> Lisp, and when I'm discussing CLOS I would like to be able to point
> readers to something about how such things are done in Dylan.  For
> instance, I'd like them to be able to read about such things as (but
> not confined to) how Dylan views objects, multiple-inheritance, etc;
> how modules can provide the access control that such people as java
> programmers will probably expect to see in an O-O language; and the
> rationale behind Dylan's class-precedence algorithm.

> So if anyone has a suitable Web page and wouldm't mind me providing
> a link to it, and perhaps making a local copy, please let me know.

Although it doesn't apply to all Dylan implementations, and doesn't
cover everything you are asking for, one of the best papers I know of is
"A Monotonic Superclass Linearization for Dylan," at:

<http://www.webcom.com/haahr/dylan/linearization-oopsla96.html>

((lambda (args) (display args)) "
   Robert D. Skeels       | Los Angeles illustrator, designer

Wed, 12 Sep 2001 03:00:00 GMT

1. os._exit(), os.kill(os.getpid(), 9)

2. getting started: Mac OS, Carbon, Dylan

3. Dylan on Macintosh OS X

4. Newton OS and Dylan

5. Mac OS X presents an opportunity for Dylan

6. Dylan for MSDOS or OS/2??

7. Compiled version Dylan on OS/2?

8. OS/2 Dylan

9. Windows3 OS/2 & Mac Dylan

10. Problem with any of os.system(), os.fork() & os.execp() and os.spawn()

11. Black OS/2 icons and mini-icons for VisualWorks 2.0 for OS/2

12. FORTH/OS OS/4th