Namespaces, Flexibility & Dylan
Author Message
 Namespaces, Flexibility & Dylan

Just finished work on a(n intentionally limited) UML->HTML
parser/generator (which I use as a CGI executable).  A problem I had
was UML concepts had the same names as Dylan ones (particularly,
<class>).

This problem was a fruitful one, as it led me to discover how libraries
and modules work as an advanced namespace system.  In my UML-parser
module, I added 'use dylan, rename: { <class> => <dylan-class> };' and,
thereafter, UML and Dylan <class> objects where able to co-exist
peacefully (I needed to use both in my system).

Coming from using C++'s 'namespace' keyword, and Java's 'package'
concept (anyone use the Java ORB and need to specify what Object
(org.omg.CORBA.Object or java.lang.Object) they mean?), this
functionality is simple, easy to use, and revolutionary.

-----

So, I showed the company owner the UML diagrams served from the Dylan
CGI.  She made made some recommendations for changes, which, because I
had made these configurable as run-time parameters, I was able to
implement in 30 seconds, with no down time.

That's another beautiful thing about Dylan:  its flexibility.
Certainly, other programming languages allow seperating
responsibilities between compile- and run-time roles, but in Dylan I
find I can leverage these roles more effectively.

Some happy thoughts of a Dylan programmer.

Sincerely,
Douglas M. Auclair

Sent via Deja.com http://www.*-*-*.com/
Before you buy.

Wed, 15 Jan 2003 03:00:00 GMT

1. namespace access in Dylan

2. namespace access in Dylan

3. OO and Flexibility

4. OO and Flexibility

5. Forth flexibility

6. IBM Compiler and Library for REXX on zSeries Release 4 increase efficiency and flexibility

7. try/except/else flexibility...

8. Project & namespace

9. Namespaces in Scheme vs. Namespaces in CL.

10. Zope ZClass & Namespace

11. namespaces & indentation

12. theads & global namespaces