Harlequin Dylan on Win9x
Author Message
 Harlequin Dylan on Win9x

I installed Harlequin Dylan 1.2 + SP2 on my Windows 98 machine, and it
seems to work fine until I try to run or debug an app from the
development environment.  At that point I get an exception 03h in
KERNEL32.DLL.  I was wondering if this sounded at all familiar to
anyone.  The compiler itself works OK, but I think using an external
editor would lose some of the advantages of the dynamic language
thing.

Thanks!

Sat, 01 Dec 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Harlequin Dylan on Win9x

Quote:

> I installed Harlequin Dylan 1.2 + SP2 on my Windows 98 machine, and it
> seems to work fine until I try to run or debug an app from the
> development environment.  At that point I get an exception 03h in
> KERNEL32.DLL.  I was wondering if this sounded at all familiar to
> anyone.

This sounds like something similar I had with HD 1.0. In that case I
had the directory containing the redistributable files and the
harlequin bin directory in the wrong order.

The Harlequin Dylan knowledgebase talks about it in entry 10015
(Access Violation message when using interactor/de{*filter*}).

Check it out at:
http://www.*-*-*.com/ +Documents/Public...

I have the entries in the following order in my path to get it to
work:
  D:\DYLAN\REDISTRIBUTABLE;D:\DYLAN\BIN

Chris.

Sun, 02 Dec 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Harlequin Dylan on Win9x

Quote:
> I installed Harlequin Dylan 1.2 + SP2 on my Windows 98 machine, and it
> seems to work fine until I try to run or debug an app from the
> development environment.  At that point I get an exception 03h in
> KERNEL32.DLL.  I was wondering if this sounded at all familiar to
> anyone.  The compiler itself works OK, but I think using an external
> editor would lose some of the advantages of the dynamic language
> thing.

Exception 03 is, IIRC, the debug exception.  It is issued by the INT3
instruction usually.  Some programmers seem to delight in using INT3 to
force de{*filter*}s to come up when errors occur.  This, of course, doesn't help
if the programmer isn't using a de{*filter*} which follows the expected
conventions.

--

          PGP Key: http://www.*-*-*.com/ ~mtr/pgp-key.html
PGP Fingerprint: 40D1 33E0 F70B 6BB5 8353 4669 B4CC DD09 04ED 4FE8

Sun, 02 Dec 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Harlequin Dylan on Win9x
Thanks for the response.  Doesn't look like that's the problem, though
(I tweaked the path, no dice).  I did find a "dylan-runtime.log" with
the following contents:

MPS ASSERTION FAILURE

Id:
File:
Line:      0
Condition: base < limit
.\protw3.c
93

Any other ideas?

Quote:

>> I installed Harlequin Dylan 1.2 + SP2 on my Windows 98 machine, and it
>> seems to work fine until I try to run or debug an app from the
>> development environment.  At that point I get an exception 03h in
>> KERNEL32.DLL.  I was wondering if this sounded at all familiar to
>> anyone.

>This sounds like something similar I had with HD 1.0. In that case I
>had the directory containing the redistributable files and the
>harlequin bin directory in the wrong order.

Wed, 05 Dec 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Harlequin Dylan on Win9x

Quote:

> Thanks for the response.  Doesn't look like that's the problem, though
> (I tweaked the path, no dice).  I did find a "dylan-runtime.log" with
> the following contents:

Sorry, I'm stumped. The path was the only thing I could think of. Have

Chris.

Thu, 06 Dec 2001 03:00:00 GMT

1. (fwd) harlequin's dylan-corba mailing list switching to MIT's info-dylan

2. Dylan and Java [was: Harlequin Dylan - Update]

3. HARLEQUIN DYLAN and C FFI

4. Small d2c and Harlequin Dylan incompatibility

5. first attempt at Harlequin-Dylan

6. Functional Objects to take over Harlequin Dylan

7. Harlequin Dylan 2.0 beta 2 is now available

8. Future of Harlequin Dylan

9. ODBC database with Harlequin Dylan

10. Harlequin Dylan Update

11. using winInet with harlequin dylan

12. Beginners problem with Harlequin Dylan