wrong platforms.descr used
Author Message
 wrong platforms.descr used

Is there an expert on the s2c build system in the house?

Doing a bootstrap of the latest source from CVS using d2c 2.3.1, when the
final compiler has been built and tests are about to be run there is an
error in compiling gd/src/tests/dylan-test.lid:

   platforms.descr contains unknown property, 'comment-token'.

The immediate cause of this is obviously that when the heap generation was
changed to C instead of assembler, d2c no longer needs to know how to
start a comment in assembler source, which indicates that d2c is using the
platforms.descr belonging to the currently-installed d2c, not the
newly-compiled one.

Adding a -p flag to D2CFLAGS in src/tests/GNUmakefile telling it to use
src/d2c/compiler/platforms.descr fixes the problem.

I'm not an expert on the build system (understatement!) and the way the
makefiles are created by configure at various stages of bootstrapping is
mostly a mystery, but looking at src/tests/Makegen it seems as if the test
programs *always* use the compiler in src/d2c/main rather than the
currently-installed compiler, so it should be OK (nay, *required*) to
always use the source tree version of  platforms.descr as well.  It's
already using libraries from the build tree rather than the installed
libraries.  So I changed src/tests/Makegen to say:

$D2CFLAGS = $d2c_runtime . '-p$(SRCROOT)/d2c/compiler/platforms.descr [...]'

This appears to make everything work right, and I see that Andreas just
recently added smething at the same place to make it use the version of
d2c in the build tree.  Which would explain why this used to work :-)

Does this look right, and is there anything else we need to do here?

-- Bruce

Sun, 03 Mar 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 wrong platforms.descr used

Quote:

> Is there an expert on the s2c build system in the house?

Well, I keep breaking it whenever I modify something. But it's getting
gradually better...

Quote:
> mostly a mystery, but looking at src/tests/Makegen it seems as if the test
> programs *always* use the compiler in src/d2c/main rather than the
> currently-installed compiler, so it should be OK (nay, *required*) to
> always use the source tree version of  platforms.descr as well.  It's

You're right. Former versions of gd used the installed compiler to
compile the tests, which of course completely misses the point, which
would be to test the freshly compiled compiler. So I've changed that.

Of course I didn't hit the bug you've discovered, since my installed
compiler (and thus the installed platforms.descr) already was a
current version.

Quote:
> libraries.  So I changed src/tests/Makegen to say:

> $D2CFLAGS = $d2c_runtime . '-p$(SRCROOT)/d2c/compiler/platforms.descr [...]'

> Does this look right, and is there anything else we need to do here?

I'm wondering if we pick up the correct runtime (should also be the
freshly compiled one). I'll check that later.

Andreas

--
"Niemand hat die Absicht, eine Firewall einzurichten"

Sun, 03 Mar 2002 03:00:00 GMT

1. Stippled text on a canvas drawn in the wrong place using the wrong color

2. QCount / Q Edit Descr.

3. X edit descr. and non-adv output

4. Create graphical descr. of class structure on Macs

5. USING CLARION WITH ORACLE (UNIX PLATFORM)

6. using the msdos platform

7. Extending Ruby on Windows platform using VC++ IDE

8. Need help with VHDL modeling using Active-HDL 3.3 on Warp 5.2 ( PC platform ) from Cypress

9. Using VB with COBOL on multiple platforms.

10. Reading data from the serial port using ADA on an Unix platform

11. Cross-platform development using Microfocus COBOL

12. FPSC provides system migrations/conversion using Micro Focus on Unix platforms