Anyone working on Marlais?
Author Message
 Anyone working on Marlais?

A long time ago, when I had spare time, I decided to work on modifying
the Marlias interpreter to make it embeddable, to be used as an
extension language for applications. Mostly this involved defining a
simple interface to be exposed to the host app, and adding prefixes to
all the functions and types in the exposed API. I'm now at the point of
cleaning up the internals to make the interpreter thread-safe (starting
with removing dependence on global state), and to allow multiple
interpreters to be running at the same time.

Eventually, I'll add some extensions, like a sockets interface.

I'm going to be able to (finally) work on this off an on during the
upcoming months, and I was curious if anyone out there is using Marlais,
or if there's been any development activity recently. Neither Joseph
Wilson's page, nor Patrick Beard's have been updated in ages.

Thanks,
Adam

--
Adam Alpern
http://www.*-*-*.com/ ~alpern/

Mon, 13 Sep 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Anyone working on Marlais?

Adam:

Quote:
> I'm going to be able to (finally) work on this off an on during the
> upcoming months, and I was curious if anyone out there is using Marlais,
> or if there's been any development activity recently. Neither Joseph
> Wilson's page, nor Patrick Beard's have been updated in ages.

My page hasn't been updated in ages because I haven't done any work on
the interpreter in ages.  A student here at UF (Daniel Bui,

Marlais as the basis for an interpretive VR environment, but that is
just at the tinkering stage.  I'd be happy to kept in the loop about
anything people are doing with Marlais.  Maybe the dust can be blown
off the project. (Hack! Cough!-)

Quote:

> Thanks,
> Adam

Joe Wilson

Mon, 13 Sep 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Anyone working on Marlais?
Quote:
>just at the tinkering stage.  I'd be happy to kept in the loop about
>anything people are doing with Marlais.  Maybe the dust can be blown
>off the project. (Hack! Cough!-)

>Joe Wilson

>I certainly hope to blow all the dust off :-) I've been thinking about this
>for a long time - I got interested in extension languages and language
>implementation in general about 3 years ago, and I'm planning on using a
>modified Marlais in several applications I'm working on, assuming all goes
>well. If you (or anyone else on the info-dylan list) happen to have any large
>bodies of code that could be used for regression testing, that would be a
>tremendous help, although I'm planning on writing a test-suite myself, to be
>sure I don't break anything!

>Adam

>--
>Adam Alpern
>http://www.brightware.com/~alpern/

Tue, 14 Sep 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Anyone working on Marlais?

On Wed, Mar 26, 1997 23:05,

 >I was curious if anyone out there is using Marlais
I use the Macintosh version constantly. I usually write all my code in
MacMarlais, even if the code is destined for import into Apple Dylan. As
far as I know Patrick Beard was on Apple's OpenDoc team, then went onto
their Java projects. I sure wish someone would continue MacMarlais
development. Patrick had just begun adding preliminary OSA support to
MacMarlais before he stopped working on it. I dream of using Dylan for
system and application scripting instead of AppleScript.

The extensions you are discussing for Marlais sound interesting. Maybe when
I get Linux I can use the Unix version of Marlais.

Los Angeles, CA         (213) 662-6308 | This message created and
  http://www.*-*-*.com/ ~athene    | sent via the {*filter*}dog Mail
   {*filter*} illustration & design     | System from Apple Computer
     eti kai nun Hellada phileo
IBM UNLEASHES THE 225 MHz PowerPC 604e--WORLD'S FASTEST DESKTOP CPU

Tue, 14 Sep 1999 03:00:00 GMT

1. Has anyone worked with file property sets?

2. Anyone working on SSL?

3. Anyone working with relational databases?

4. Anyone working with databases?

5. Anyone Working with Tivoli?

6. DYMO Labelwriter - Anyone done any work with SDK

7. Anyone knows how this works

8. Anyone done work on Vehicle Tracking with Clarion?

9. Has anyone gotten the generated Convert to work.

10. Clipper and Telnet - Anyone get it to work?

11. anyone get Tile forth to work?

12. Anyone working on public domain Dylan