Gwydion Dylan 2.1.3 Released
Author Message
 Gwydion Dylan 2.1.3 Released

Gwydion Dylan is an optimizing Dylan compiler. Originally developed at
Carnegie Mellon University, Gwydion Dylan is now being extended by a
global volunteer effort. Our main goal is to develop advanced, free
deveopment tools supporting rapid prototyping but, at the same time,
efficient compilation.

Dylan is an object-oriented dynamic language with optional static typing,
multiple inheritence, multiple dispatch, closures, hygenic macros, garbage
collection, infix syntax and direct support for interfacing with C. It was
designed to support hypercode databases and advanced IDEs.

Changes:

Gwydion Dylan 2.1.3 should be the final development release before 2.2. It
includes new libraries, many bug fixes and FreeBSD 3.0 support. Many thanks
go to Andreas Bogk, Jeff Dubrule, Matthias Hoelzl, Peter Housel and Eric
Kidd. Gwydion Dylan 2.1.3 is a technology preview and suffers from a number
of limitations.

Links:

  Web site:       http://www.*-*-*.com/
  Downloads:     http://www.*-*-*.com/
  Limitations:   http://www.*-*-*.com/

Share and enjoy!

The Gwydion Dylan volunteers

Tue, 26 Jun 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Gwydion Dylan 2.1.3 Released

Quote:

>Gwydion Dylan 2.1.3 should be the final development release before 2.2.

  Just a thought.

  The linux kernel uses the second digit from left to indicate whether
  the release is for "production use" (even) or the "lunatic fringe"
  (odd).  Granted there not quite as many developers and complexity,
  but after gaining some momentum it may be useful.  Right now
  everyone using GD is sort of on the "lunatic fringe". ;-)   So
  sequentially going forward is indication enough.  Perhaps at
  the 2.3 (more core features/magic experimentation) and 2.4 (more
  "bug stomping", and "user experience/cross platform" stability ) steps.

  Also has anyone given any thought to a Dylan Language conformance test
  suite?   I was thinking of examples to test positive, negative, and
  implemention dependent compilance. ( "negative" meaning examples
  where an error is called for.)   This could be extended for the
  "standard extensions" (similar to the Ada annexes I think.).

  I was thinking of organizing it similar to the DRM so that the code from
  the suite could also serve as additions examples for each DRM section.
  It would exactly be a strictly linear progression though.
  ( CLtL2 and more so, the HyperSpec all have example per feature.
    Not that there aren't examples in the DRM, but more would likely
    be better. Additionally, they would not limited to the brevity constraints
    of fitting into the main body of text. )

--

Lyman S. Taylor                "Twinkie Cream; food of the Gods"

Tue, 26 Jun 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Gwydion Dylan 2.1.3 Released

Quote:

>>Gwydion Dylan 2.1.3 should be the final development release before 2.2.

>  Just a thought.

>  The linux kernel uses the second digit from left to indicate whether
>  the release is for "production use" (even) or the "lunatic fringe"
>  (odd).  Granted there not quite as many developers and complexity,

Exactly that's the plan. When 2.1.3 proves to be stable, it will
be called 2.2, and work on 2.3 will begin. Subsequential releases
of 2.2 (when neccessary) will only be bug fixes, but we will
throw att the nifty features into 2.3. When that settles, it's
time for 2.4.

Quote:
>  Also has anyone given any thought to a Dylan Language conformance test
>  suite?   I was thinking of examples to test positive, negative, and
>  implemention dependent compilance. ( "negative" meaning examples

There's some form of regression test in Gwydion Dylan, but it's of
course far from complete. If someone writes such a test, we will
be happy to use it to grind out the last bugs.

Andreas

--
If you think C++ is not overly complicated, just what is a protected
abstract virtual base pure virtual private destructor, and when

Wed, 27 Jun 2001 03:00:00 GMT

1. Gwydion Dylan 2.2.0 Released

2. Gwydion Dylan 2.3.9 Released

3. Gwydion Dylan 2.3.4 Released

4. Gwydion Dylan 2.3.3 released

5. Zathras (was Re: Gwydion Dylan 2.3.2 Release)

6. Gwydion Dylan 2.3.2 Release

7. Gwydion Dylan 2.3.1 Released

8. Gwydion Dylan 2.2.0 Released

9. Gwydion Dylan 2.1.2 released

10. Gwydion Dylan 2.1.1 released

11. Gwydion Dylan Release 2.3.5

12. Gwydion Dylan 2.1-19980916 snapshot release