--Kaelin Colclasure
  Chief Architect
  Talarian Corporation

Sat, 01 Sep 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Apple open source (no, not Dylan -- yet)

Working on it...

Quote:
-----Original Message-----

Date: Tuesday, March 16, 1999 6:17 PM
Subject: Apple open source (no, not Dylan -- yet)

>Looks like Apple is edging its way up to the open source community. SO,
>apparently the idea isn't completely unfathomable after all. Anyone with an
>"in" want to hit them up about releasing the Apple Dylan TR?

><http://www.publicsource.apple.com/>

>--Kaelin Colclasure
>  Chief Architect
>  Talarian Corporation

Sat, 01 Sep 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Apple open source (no, not Dylan -- yet)

Quote:

> > Looks like Apple is edging its way up to the open source community. SO,
> > apparently the idea isn't completely unfathomable after all. Anyone with an
> > "in" want to hit them up about releasing the Apple Dylan TR?

> > <http://www.publicsource.apple.com/>

Nobody at Apple remembers Dylan anymore--the Dylan group is gone, and
Patick Beard has left for Netscape. You'd have to remind Apple that Dylan
existed before you could ask them for source. This means dealing with Apple
legal. :-(

Quote:
> Just for the record, the APSL is not Open Source (no matter what ESR says).

It looks like an open source license (though not a good one), except for
the unilateral termination clause. I would not contribute one line of code
to a project under such a license.

Cheers,
Eric

Sun, 02 Sep 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Apple open source (no, not Dylan -- yet)

Quote:

>> > Looks like Apple is edging its way up to the open source community. SO,
>> > apparently the idea isn't completely unfathomable after all. Anyone with an
>> > "in" want to hit them up about releasing the Apple Dylan TR?

>> > <http://www.publicsource.apple.com/>

>Nobody at Apple remembers Dylan anymore--the Dylan group is gone, and
>Patick Beard has left for Netscape. You'd have to remind Apple that Dylan
>existed before you could ask them for source.

This isn't true.  (Or at least it wasn't true a couple of months ago.)

Quote:
>This means dealing with Apple legal. :-(

This is probably still true, though!

Sun, 02 Sep 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Apple open source (no, not Dylan -- yet)

Seems like we have this discussion every few months...

Even if there are people at Apple that don't remember, people at Digitool
certainly do. Bill St. Claire is still there, as far as I know, as is Steve
Haine (sp?) who did a lot of the work on the PowerPC TR. And there are
people at Apple who know about it: Mike Rossetti, for one. And isn't Larry
Tesler back in some capacity?

As far as dealing with Apple Legal --- yeah, that is the daunting part.
However, the fact that Apple is willing to release OS code under the APSL
then there is really nothing holding them back other than obstinance. It's
not like the various code generator technologies they used from ATG will
ever be used.

    -tre

Quote:
>> > Looks like Apple is edging its way up to the open source community. SO,
>> > apparently the idea isn't completely unfathomable after all. Anyone
with an
>> > "in" want to hit them up about releasing the Apple Dylan TR?

>> > <http://www.publicsource.apple.com/>

>Nobody at Apple remembers Dylan anymore--the Dylan group is gone, and
>Patick Beard has left for Netscape. You'd have to remind Apple that Dylan
>existed before you could ask them for source. This means dealing with Apple
>legal. :-(

>> Just for the record, the APSL is not Open Source (no matter what ESR
says).

>It looks like an open source license (though not a good one), except for
>the unilateral termination clause. I would not contribute one line of code
>to a project under such a license.

>Cheers,
>Eric

Sun, 02 Sep 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Apple open source (no, not Dylan -- yet)

Quote:

> > Just for the record, the APSL is not Open Source (no matter what ESR says).

> It looks like an open source license (though not a good one), except for
> the unilateral termination clause. I would not contribute one line of code
> to a project under such a license.

This one fails too:

2.2.c:

You may Deploy Covered Code, provided that You must in each
instance notify Apple and other third parties of how to obtain Your
Deployed Modifications by filling out and submitting the required
information found at http://www.apple.com/publicsource/modifications.html

--
.elOle.

Mon, 03 Sep 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Apple open source (no, not Dylan -- yet)

Quote:

> > Just for the record, the APSL is not Open Source (no matter what ESR says).

> It looks like an open source license (though not a good one), except for
> the unilateral termination clause. I would not contribute one line of code
> to a project under such a license.

> Cheers,
> Eric

See:

http://lwn.net/1999/0318/a/raymond.html

for an answer to this concern and others.

And regarding the likelihood of releasing Apple Dylan under open source, if they're
releasing UBER ( their unfinished game networking technology ) as open source,
they'll release anything. :-)

- Rob.
                           __            __    _      __

http://www.lostwax.com/  / /__/ _ \(_-</ __/  | |/ |/ / - `/\ \ /
                        /____/\___/___/\__/   |__/|__/\_,_//_\_\

Tue, 04 Sep 2001 03:00:00 GMT

1. Free source for Apple Dylan -- any chance?

2. Free source for Apple Dylan -- any chance?

3. Free source for Apple Dylan -- any chance?

4. Can't Edit Source folder names in Apple Dylan DR1

5. free Dylan on dos/windows: not really, yet

6. dylan macros not public yet

7. Dylan Programming Book and Apple Dylan

8. Dylan is the Name was(Re: Dylan (Bob) eats rotten Apple (Computer))

9. Yet Another Open Source RSS News Reader?

10. Sudden interest in Dylan/Dylan should be open.

11. Verification of Official Builds for Open Source (Not Tcl-specific, but it is a Tcl program)

12. Why yet another apples/oranges Eiffel/C++ comparison