VFP running over VPN with Terminal Services
Author Message
 VFP running over VPN with Terminal Services

First, a little background information:
I have a multiuser application which runs perfectly over a LAN.  Problem is
that I have a new customer who has remote sites and would require running
the application over a WAN.

Each site requires access to the server which is located at the main office.
I assume that a T1 interface would be the easiest solution, but the customer
is balking at the price.  We have tried a test setup using a VPN connection
with the server connected through a cable service and the client also
connect to a cable service.  The  length of time to do anything involving
forms was horrendous -- certainly unacceptable.  PCanywhere is faster, but
has it's own problems.   Someone suggested using VPN with  Terminal
Services.  I haven't ever tried using Terminal Services, but it is my
understanding the program would run completely on the server and the client
computer would be used just for display forms, etc.  Perhaps this would
work, but I there are some unknowns which I hope someone might be able to
explain.  The program uses ActiveX controls for WORD, and Document Scanning.
The question is, will the ActiveX controls function properly using VPN with
Terminal Services (especially concerned about scanning), and will the
Terminal Services provide access speeds which would not be offensive to the
users?

Thanks in advance to anyone who feels versed enough in VPN with Terminal
Services to be able to take a stab at answering this call for help.

--E. Myron

Sun, 04 Sep 2005 03:32:02 GMT
 VFP running over VPN with Terminal Services
Elliott,

I've not personally done anything with Terminal Server over a VPN, but have
worked with TS in general. The key concept here is that when you run an
application over TS, it's as if you're using PC Anywhere in terms of only
screen images getting sent back and forth over the wire and all the
processing being done on the TS itself.

If your app uses Word ActiveX controls then Word (Office) needs to be
installed on the TS itself so that way the classes are installed on that
machine.

As for the speed/performance, I would think it would be fine over cable
modem access since you're only dealing with screen images over the wire.
But, you would have to do some testing to see what your average benchmark
would be for this application.

Jon

Quote:
> First, a little background information:
> I have a multiuser application which runs perfectly over a LAN.  Problem
is
> that I have a new customer who has remote sites and would require running
> the application over a WAN.

> Each site requires access to the server which is located at the main
office.
> I assume that a T1 interface would be the easiest solution, but the
customer
> is balking at the price.  We have tried a test setup using a VPN
connection
> with the server connected through a cable service and the client also
> connect to a cable service.  The  length of time to do anything involving
> forms was horrendous -- certainly unacceptable.  PCanywhere is faster, but
> has it's own problems.   Someone suggested using VPN with  Terminal
> Services.  I haven't ever tried using Terminal Services, but it is my
> understanding the program would run completely on the server and the
client
> computer would be used just for display forms, etc.  Perhaps this would
> work, but I there are some unknowns which I hope someone might be able to
> explain.  The program uses ActiveX controls for WORD, and Document
Scanning.
> The question is, will the ActiveX controls function properly using VPN
with
> Terminal Services (especially concerned about scanning), and will the
> Terminal Services provide access speeds which would not be offensive to
the
> users?

> Thanks in advance to anyone who feels versed enough in VPN with Terminal
> Services to be able to take a stab at answering this call for help.

> --E. Myron

Sun, 04 Sep 2005 04:22:05 GMT
 VFP running over VPN with Terminal Services
Hello, Elliott!
You wrote  on Tue, 18 Mar 2003 19:32:02 GMT:

 EM> Each site requires access to the server which is located at the main
 EM> office. I assume that a T1 interface would be the easiest solution, but
 EM> the customer is balking at the price.  We have tried a test setup using
 EM> a VPN connection with the server connected through a cable service and
 EM> the client also connect to a cable service.  The  length of time to do
 EM> anything involving forms was horrendous -- certainly unacceptable.
 EM> PCanywhere is faster, but has it's own problems.   Someone suggested
 EM> using VPN with  Terminal Services.  I haven't ever tried using Terminal
 EM> Services, but it is my understanding the program would run completely
 EM> on the server and the client computer would be used just for display
 EM> forms, etc.  Perhaps this would work, but I there are some unknowns
 EM> which I hope someone might be able to explain.  The program uses
 EM> ActiveX controls for WORD, and Document Scanning. The question is, will
 EM> the ActiveX controls function properly using VPN with Terminal Services
 EM> (especially concerned about scanning), and will the Terminal Services
 EM> provide access speeds which would not be offensive to the users?

 EM> Thanks in advance to anyone who feels versed enough in VPN with
 EM> Terminal Services to be able to take a stab at answering this call for
 EM> help.

 EM> --E. Myron

I have very positive experience with VFP and TS and Citrix. Actually, I do a
lot of (if not most) VFP development using a WIN2K TS server and a TS
client.
If your client is non WinXP, then download the new Remote Desktop Client
from the MS web site. This client is compatible with the normal TS client,
but it offers more features, like for example Copy and Paste between the TS
desktop and the normal windows desktop. We tested the TS and our apps on
different connection speeds and it was even working fine on a cell phone
connection (9600 baud) + PDA. There is one major issue though. Read more
about it here:
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=299603

Make sure you set the proper security settings on the server. A good guide
can be found on the NSA web site:
http://www.nsa.gov/snac/win2k/download.htm
---
Eric den Doop

Sun, 04 Sep 2005 04:43:17 GMT
 VFP running over VPN with Terminal Services
I doubt very much (99.9%) whether the document scanning will work as the
application is going to attempt to connect with the scanner on the server
NOT on the remote client.

Paul

Sun, 04 Sep 2005 08:48:59 GMT

1. Terminal Services/VFP 7 error - (0xc0000006)

2. VFP and Terminal Services/Citrix

3. VFP and Terminal Services

4. Terminal Services and VFP

5. Viewing data using Terminal services for Win2000

6. Print at terminal service mode

7. Q328020 - Redirected printing through a Terminal Services Session May Not Work W

8. Terminal Services ID

9. Terminal Services ID

10. VFP6 and compatibility with Terminal Services

11. Terminal Services

12. Citrix Server machine Vs. Microsoft Terminal Services