Strange problem with modal forms and Application in top-level form
Author Message
 Strange problem with modal forms and Application in top-level form

Hi,

I encountered a very strange problem.
My application uses a top-level form as main form (default VFP form is
hidden).
Although I use modeless, multi-instance forms, sometimes I need to open a
modal form.
But I discovered a very unleasant behaviour: when I have my modal form open,
even if I cannot change focus to one of those modeless forms already open
(as expected), I can start another form from menu (the application menu
isn't disabled). By doing this, the new open form is opened as modal (even
if the code from menu try to open it modeless), and I cannot access any
other form till I close the latest one (the one open from menu)

This is not happening if I use VFP main form as application form, but right
now I cannot change my application to do this (the framework I use uses
top-level forms for main application form)

This is very unpleasant, and I cannot find any way to fix it.
I'm waiting for any advice, and any help will be appreciated.

Best regards,
Bogdan

Thu, 06 Jan 2005 21:16:48 GMT
 Strange problem with modal forms and Application in top-level form
as far as making the menu not available when you have a modal form open, you
need to put code in the menu to evaluate to false to make menu selections
unavailable.

when modal forms are active you should not be able to access any modeless
forms.

Quote:
> Hi,

> I encountered a very strange problem.
> My application uses a top-level form as main form (default VFP form is
> hidden).
> Although I use modeless, multi-instance forms, sometimes I need to open a
> modal form.
> But I discovered a very unleasant behaviour: when I have my modal form
open,
> even if I cannot change focus to one of those modeless forms already open
> (as expected), I can start another form from menu (the application menu
> isn't disabled). By doing this, the new open form is opened as modal (even
> if the code from menu try to open it modeless), and I cannot access any
> other form till I close the latest one (the one open from menu)

> This is not happening if I use VFP main form as application form, but
right
> now I cannot change my application to do this (the framework I use uses
> top-level forms for main application form)

> This is very unpleasant, and I cannot find any way to fix it.
> I'm waiting for any advice, and any help will be appreciated.

> Best regards,
> Bogdan

Fri, 07 Jan 2005 04:42:58 GMT
 Strange problem with modal forms and Application in top-level form

> as far as making the menu not available when you have a modal form open,
you
> need to put code in the menu to evaluate to false to make menu selections
> unavailable.

But this should be done automatically by VFP I think. Modal form should
disable all menus (but unfortunately it shouldn't).

Quote:
> when modal forms are active you should not be able to access any modeless
> forms.

I know this. And, if I have any modeless form already open when I open the
modal form, of course I cannot access it.
BUT (this bug BUT) I am able to select an option from menu (and I think I
shouldn't), and this menu option can open a modeless form (which, in this
case act as a modal one, so till I close it I cannot access any other form).

Did anyone alse tested and encountered this strange behaviour?
Any workaround?

Regards,
Bogdan

Quote:

> > Hi,

> > I encountered a very strange problem.
> > My application uses a top-level form as main form (default VFP form is
> > hidden).
> > Although I use modeless, multi-instance forms, sometimes I need to open
> > modal form.
> > But I discovered a very unleasant behaviour: when I have my modal form
> open,
> > even if I cannot change focus to one of those modeless forms already
open
> > (as expected), I can start another form from menu (the application menu
> > isn't disabled). By doing this, the new open form is opened as modal
(even
> > if the code from menu try to open it modeless), and I cannot access any
> > other form till I close the latest one (the one open from menu)

> > This is not happening if I use VFP main form as application form, but
> right
> > now I cannot change my application to do this (the framework I use uses
> > top-level forms for main application form)

> > This is very unpleasant, and I cannot find any way to fix it.
> > I'm waiting for any advice, and any help will be appreciated.

> > Best regards,
> > Bogdan

Sat, 08 Jan 2005 08:07:44 GMT
 Strange problem with modal forms and Application in top-level form
Where are you activating your menu from?  If you call a modal form from the
menu (and do not do anything to the menu), the menu should not be accessable
from within your modal form.  That's the way it works for me, anyways.

--

Fred
Microsoft Visual FoxPro MVP

:: Hi,
::
[...]
:::

:::: Hi,
::::
[...]

---

Sat, 08 Jan 2005 08:49:19 GMT
 Strange problem with modal forms and Application in top-level form
Hi Bogdan,

I had exactly the same problem as yours and I posted a message here days ago
for helps.   Unfortunately, the problem has not been really solved yet.  I
have some observations:

1. This happens when the 2nd form is called from the top menu,  i.e.,  the
1st level of the menu.  One possible solution is to avoid calling any form
from the top menu.   Always do this from sub-menus.

2. Don't expect VFP7 may have solved this problem.   VFP7 behaves exactly
the same.

Martin Lam

Quote:
> Hi,

> I encountered a very strange problem.
> My application uses a top-level form as main form (default VFP form is
> hidden).
> Although I use modeless, multi-instance forms, sometimes I need to open a
> modal form.
> But I discovered a very unleasant behaviour: when I have my modal form
open,
> even if I cannot change focus to one of those modeless forms already open
> (as expected), I can start another form from menu (the application menu
> isn't disabled). By doing this, the new open form is opened as modal (even
> if the code from menu try to open it modeless), and I cannot access any
> other form till I close the latest one (the one open from menu)

> This is not happening if I use VFP main form as application form, but
right
> now I cannot change my application to do this (the framework I use uses
> top-level forms for main application form)

> This is very unpleasant, and I cannot find any way to fix it.
> I'm waiting for any advice, and any help will be appreciated.

> Best regards,
> Bogdan

Mon, 10 Jan 2005 09:47:00 GMT
 Strange problem with modal forms and Application in top-level form
Hi Martin,

Quote:
> I had exactly the same problem as yours and I posted a message here days
ago
> for helps.   Unfortunately, the problem has not been really solved yet.  I
> have some observations:

> 1. This happens when the 2nd form is called from the top menu,  i.e.,  the
> 1st level of the menu.  One possible solution is to avoid calling any form
> from the top menu.   Always do this from sub-menus.

> 2. Don't expect VFP7 may have solved this problem.   VFP7 behaves exactly
> the same.

Thanks for your reply.
I'm working with VFP7 actually, so ...
My question is, there is anyone around who solved this issue (or knows any
workaround)?
I cannot move all code who open forms on 2'nd menu level.

Anyone from MS around, to give use some help?

Regards,
Bogdan

Quote:

> Martin Lam

> > Hi,

> > I encountered a very strange problem.
> > My application uses a top-level form as main form (default VFP form is
> > hidden).
> > Although I use modeless, multi-instance forms, sometimes I need to open
> > modal form.
> > But I discovered a very unleasant behaviour: when I have my modal form
> open,
> > even if I cannot change focus to one of those modeless forms already
open
> > (as expected), I can start another form from menu (the application menu
> > isn't disabled). By doing this, the new open form is opened as modal
(even
> > if the code from menu try to open it modeless), and I cannot access any
> > other form till I close the latest one (the one open from menu)

> > This is not happening if I use VFP main form as application form, but
> right
> > now I cannot change my application to do this (the framework I use uses
> > top-level forms for main application form)

> > This is very unpleasant, and I cannot find any way to fix it.
> > I'm waiting for any advice, and any help will be appreciated.

> > Best regards,
> > Bogdan

Mon, 10 Jan 2005 08:30:45 GMT
 Strange problem with modal forms and Application in top-level form
Hi, Bogdan

You can use public variable m.modal_form. In Init or Load method of your
baseform class (I suppose that you have one) put code

if Thisform.windowtype=1
    m.modal_form=.t.
endif

and in destroy method

if Thisform.windowtype=1
    m.modal_form=.f.
endif

Then in menu you can use skip for m.modal_form

Leonid

Quote:
> Hi Martin,

> > I had exactly the same problem as yours and I posted a message here days
> ago
> > for helps.   Unfortunately, the problem has not been really solved yet.
> > have some observations:

> > 1. This happens when the 2nd form is called from the top menu,  i.e.,
the
> > 1st level of the menu.  One possible solution is to avoid calling any
form
> > from the top menu.   Always do this from sub-menus.

> > 2. Don't expect VFP7 may have solved this problem.   VFP7 behaves
exactly
> > the same.

> Thanks for your reply.
> I'm working with VFP7 actually, so ...
> My question is, there is anyone around who solved this issue (or knows any
> workaround)?
> I cannot move all code who open forms on 2'nd menu level.

> Anyone from MS around, to give use some help?

> Regards,
> Bogdan

> > Martin Lam

> > > Hi,

> > > I encountered a very strange problem.
> > > My application uses a top-level form as main form (default VFP form is
> > > hidden).
> > > Although I use modeless, multi-instance forms, sometimes I need to
open
> > > modal form.
> > > But I discovered a very unleasant behaviour: when I have my modal form
> > open,
> > > even if I cannot change focus to one of those modeless forms already
> open
> > > (as expected), I can start another form from menu (the application
menu
> > > isn't disabled). By doing this, the new open form is opened as modal
> (even
> > > if the code from menu try to open it modeless), and I cannot access
any
> > > other form till I close the latest one (the one open from menu)

> > > This is not happening if I use VFP main form as application form, but
> > right
> > > now I cannot change my application to do this (the framework I use
uses
> > > top-level forms for main application form)

> > > This is very unpleasant, and I cannot find any way to fix it.
> > > I'm waiting for any advice, and any help will be appreciated.

> > > Best regards,
> > > Bogdan

Mon, 10 Jan 2005 15:51:26 GMT
 Strange problem with modal forms and Application in top-level form

> Where are you activating your menu from?  If you call a modal form from
the
> menu (and do not do anything to the menu), the menu should not be
accessable
> from within your modal form.  That's the way it works for me, anyways.

The menu is opened in the framework in the method who start application
(after the main application form was instantiated).
The modal form is not open directly from the menu, but from a modeless form.
And I use to open modal forms in two different ways:
Some times the form is designed as modal, and I open it with DO FORM
Some other time I open the form like this

do form <myform> name loForm linked noshow
* set some properties / run methods, etc
loForm.Show(1)

Then in form I have OK -Cancel who make them invisible when the processing
was done, and this continue the code after Show(1) call.

But either one way or another, the menu is accessible when the modal form is
visible (unlike any other modeless form, which are not accessible).

Regards,
Bogdan

Quote:

> --

> Fred
> Microsoft Visual FoxPro MVP
> Please respond only to the newsgroups so that all may benefit.

> :: Hi,
> ::
> ::: as far as making the menu not available when you have a modal form
> ::: open, you need to put code in the menu to evaluate to false to make
> ::: menu selections unavailable.
> ::
> :: But this should be done automatically by VFP I think. Modal form
> :: should disable all menus (but unfortunately it shouldn't).
> ::
> ::: when modal forms are active you should not be able to access any
> ::: modeless forms.
> ::
> :: I know this. And, if I have any modeless form already open when I
> :: open the modal form, of course I cannot access it.
> :: BUT (this bug BUT) I am able to select an option from menu (and I
> :: think I shouldn't), and this menu option can open a modeless form
> :: (which, in this case act as a modal one, so till I close it I cannot
> :: access any other form).
> ::
> :: Did anyone alse tested and encountered this strange behaviour?
> :: Any workaround?
> ::
> :: Regards,
> :: Bogdan
> ::
> ::
> :::

> :::: Hi,
> ::::
> :::: I encountered a very strange problem.
> :::: My application uses a top-level form as main form (default VFP
> :::: form is hidden).
> :::: Although I use modeless, multi-instance forms, sometimes I need to
> :::: open a modal form.
> :::: But I discovered a very unleasant behaviour: when I have my modal
> :::: form open, even if I cannot change focus to one of those modeless
> :::: forms already open (as expected), I can start another form from
> :::: menu (the application menu isn't disabled). By doing this, the new
> :::: open form is opened as modal (even if the code from menu try to
> :::: open it modeless), and I cannot access any other form till I close
> :::: the latest one (the one open from menu)
> ::::
> :::: This is not happening if I use VFP main form as application form,
> :::: but right now I cannot change my application to do this (the
> :::: framework I use uses top-level forms for main application form)
> ::::
> :::: This is very unpleasant, and I cannot find any way to fix it.
> :::: I'm waiting for any advice, and any help will be appreciated.
> ::::
> :::: Best regards,
> :::: Bogdan

> ---

Tue, 11 Jan 2005 20:09:28 GMT
 Strange problem with modal forms and Application in top-level form

> You can use public variable m.modal_form. In Init or Load method of your
> baseform class (I suppose that you have one) put code

> if Thisform.windowtype=1
>     m.modal_form=.t.
> endif

> and in destroy method

> if Thisform.windowtype=1
>     m.modal_form=.f.
> endif

> Then in menu you can use skip for m.modal_form

Thanks for your suggestion.
My menu is preety big, and I have to add this for each menu on frst level.
But I'll try.

Regards,
Bogdan

Quote:
> Hi, Bogdan

> You can use public variable m.modal_form. In Init or Load method of your
> baseform class (I suppose that you have one) put code

> if Thisform.windowtype=1
>     m.modal_form=.t.
> endif

> and in destroy method

> if Thisform.windowtype=1
>     m.modal_form=.f.
> endif

> Then in menu you can use skip for m.modal_form

> Leonid

> > Hi Martin,

> > > I had exactly the same problem as yours and I posted a message here
days
> > ago
> > > for helps.   Unfortunately, the problem has not been really solved
yet.
> > > have some observations:

> > > 1. This happens when the 2nd form is called from the top menu,  i.e.,
> the
> > > 1st level of the menu.  One possible solution is to avoid calling any
> form
> > > from the top menu.   Always do this from sub-menus.

> > > 2. Don't expect VFP7 may have solved this problem.   VFP7 behaves
> exactly
> > > the same.

> > Thanks for your reply.
> > I'm working with VFP7 actually, so ...
> > My question is, there is anyone around who solved this issue (or knows
any
> > workaround)?
> > I cannot move all code who open forms on 2'nd menu level.

> > Anyone from MS around, to give use some help?

> > Regards,
> > Bogdan

> > > Martin Lam

> open
> > > open,
> > open
> menu
> > (even
> any

> > > right
> uses

Tue, 11 Jan 2005 20:10:14 GMT
 Strange problem with modal forms and Application in top-level form
Are you sure the modal form itself isn't reactivating the menu somehow?
Normally, a modal form will disable any existing menu and can't access it.

--

[...]

:: ....
:: loForm.Show(1)
::
::
:: Then in form I have OK -Cancel who make them invisible when the
:: processing was done, and this continue the code after Show(1) call.
::
:: But either one way or another, the menu is accessible when the modal
:: form is visible (unlike any other modeless form, which are not
:: accessible).
::
:: Regards,
:: Bogdan
:::
:::
::: --
:::
::: Fred
::: Microsoft Visual FoxPro MVP
::: Please respond only to the newsgroups so that all may benefit.
:::
:::
:::
::::: Hi,
:::::
[...]
::::::

::::::: Hi,
:::::::
[...]
::: ---

---

Tue, 11 Jan 2005 23:02:53 GMT
 Strange problem with modal forms and Application in top-level form
The menu is not and should not be disable when a modal form is open.  I
should still be able to access the EDIT menu and COPY a string when I'm in a
MODAL form.

Quote:
> [...]

> ::::::: modeless forms already open (as expected), I can start another
> ::::::: form from menu (the application menu isn't disabled). By doing
> ::::::: this, the new open form is opened as modal (even if the code
> ::::::: from menu try to open it modeless), and I cannot access any
> ::::::: other form till I close the latest one (the one open from menu)
> :::::::
> ::::::: This is not happening if I use VFP main form as application
> ::::::: form, but right now I cannot change my application to do this
> ::::::: (the framework I use uses top-level forms for main application
> ::::::: form)
> :::::::
> ::::::: This is very unpleasant, and I cannot find any way to fix it.
> ::::::: I'm waiting for any advice, and any help will be appreciated.

Wed, 12 Jan 2005 07:31:36 GMT

 [ 22 post ]  Go to page: [1] [2]

 Relevant Pages

1. Top Level form/Modal form conflict.

2. Top level form - modal form ??

3. Top-Level modal forms???

4. Problems with calling Forms from Forms witihin a Top Level App

5. modal form and top level menu error

6. Strange behavior in a top-level form...

7. Building a top-level form application

8. addressing form from menu on top level form ?

9. Top level form menu & active form

10. release form - from menubar of top level form ?

11. Question: Forms displayed inside other top-level forms

12. Form not appearing in top-level form.