Protecting Source Code & encrypting tables
Author Message
 Protecting Source Code & encrypting tables

I want to be able to protect my source code and avoid having somebody
decompile it.  I know Refox can supposedly decompile VFP EXEs as well
as protect against decompiling, but I don't like the idea of paying a
company to protect my source code from that company's decompilation
product.

Does checking the 'encrypted' box when comiling a VFP6 Executable
actually keep it from being decompiled?

I'm also looking into file encryption for some of my tables.  Previous
posters seem to like Xitech Cryptor - is that the best solution?

Fri, 14 Mar 2003 08:22:38 GMT
 Protecting Source Code & encrypting tables
Even you have checked the "encrypted" box the Refox still can decompile yuor
application.

Quote:
> I want to be able to protect my source code and avoid having somebody
> decompile it.  I know Refox can supposedly decompile VFP EXEs as well
> as protect against decompiling, but I don't like the idea of paying a
> company to protect my source code from that company's decompilation
> product.

> Does checking the 'encrypted' box when comiling a VFP6 Executable
> actually keep it from being decompiled?

> I'm also looking into file encryption for some of my tables.  Previous
> posters seem to like Xitech Cryptor - is that the best solution?

Fri, 14 Mar 2003 09:23:07 GMT
 Protecting Source Code & encrypting tables
The encrypted box does nothing, BUT the "include debug information" does do a
little.  What that will do is make your exe about 20-30% smaller and when
someone with Refox decompiles your code, they will have your code but not have
your comments.  However, there's a huge price you pay (probably too huge).
When you check this box, unfortunately, when there's an error in your code, the
error generator does not know the line number and only knows the procedure or
object.method.  So, the best compromise I feel is to leave it checked and just
brand it with Refox.

Frankly, I wish Microsoft had a separate box to include the debug information
and still leave the comments OUT.  It would also make the code a lot smaller
but I don't think there's an option for this.

I used to feel the way you did about Refox and not liking the idea of paying to
protect my source code.  But, my feelings have changed.  You would not believe
the number of posts I have seen from people who have either lost their source
code or just don't have a backup.  I can't understand it - you would think of
all people - programmers would be the most responsible when it comes to backup.

Anyways, I think Refox is excellent not only for protecting source code, but
also for retrieval when the source is lost and you only have the exe.

Regards,

Quote:
>Subject: Protecting Source Code & encrypting tables

>Date: 9/24/2000 5:22 PM Pacific Daylight Time

>I want to be able to protect my source code and avoid having somebody
>decompile it.  I know Refox can supposedly decompile VFP EXEs as well
>as protect against decompiling, but I don't like the idea of paying a
>company to protect my source code from that company's decompilation
>product.

>Does checking the 'encrypted' box when comiling a VFP6 Executable
>actually keep it from being decompiled?

>I'm also looking into file encryption for some of my tables.  Previous
>posters seem to like Xitech Cryptor - is that the best solution?

Mike

Sun, 16 Mar 2003 03:00:00 GMT

1. Protecting source code & Encrypting tables.

2. ENCRYPTING FOXPRO SOURCE CODE

3. Encrypt source code.

4. Protect source code against decompilers

5. Protect source code against decompilers

6. Protect source code agains decompilers

7. Protect Source Code

8. Protect source code

9. Protect source code against decompilers

10. Protect source code against decompilers.

11. Regarding VFP source code protection (Keywords: REFOX, decompile, VFP source code, Foxafe)

12. Accounting & Payroll Software - Source Code Included