Updating Access table via ODBC from Fox
Author Message
 Updating Access table via ODBC from Fox

I have successfully set up the connection to the Access table but need to
change records and have the changes show up in Access.  I have looked
through a lot of help files but have found nothing that addresses this.

A direction to look would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Chip

Mon, 23 Dec 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Updating Access table via ODBC from Fox
Hi Chip

You did create a remote view via ODBC to do the update?
First check the send sql update setting in the update criteria
tab of the view designer. If there all is ok, I would check if
the view is buffered in any way if it is so, you need to call a
tableupdate() to get your changes written to the access db.

HTH
Markus

Quote:
> I have successfully set up the connection to the Access table but need to
> change records and have the changes show up in Access.  I have looked
> through a lot of help files but have found nothing that addresses this.

> A direction to look would be appreciated.

> Thanks in advance,

> Chip

Mon, 23 Dec 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Updating Access table via ODBC from Fox

Thanks,

I've tried both the local and remote views.  When I create a remote view and
go to the 'Update Criteria' tab the 'Update All' command button and 'Send
SQL updates' checkbox are dimmed and cannot be chosen.  I have a feeling
that this is the problem but don't chy they are not available commands.

Thanks,

Chip

Mon, 23 Dec 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Updating Access table via ODBC from Fox

I did check the access table and nothing appears to be set that would make
it not updatable.

Mon, 23 Dec 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Updating Access table via ODBC from Fox

Hi Chip

Ahaa! You have to say VFP what you want to update, otherwise
that will not work. <g>

As soon as you specify a key expression on that vfp or better the
odbc driver can find a record in the acces db you can choose the
fields to update. Best choice would be a single primary key
expression (like a surrogate key, that's unique). If you haven't any
you may "construct" that key by activating several fields "as key".
Do this until you are sure the values will be unique for every record.
They where then "and'ed" in the where clause to find the unique
record. Now choose the fields to update (for an update only,
normaly you dont change the Key fields, but if you want to add
records you have to alter them too). When done you can activate
the SQL SendUpdates Option and now the changes should be
written.

Hope this "crash lesson" helps, but I suggest you read the docs
on datahandling, remote views etc. too <g>

Regards
Markus

Quote:
> Thanks,

> I've tried both the local and remote views.  When I create a remote view
and
> go to the 'Update Criteria' tab the 'Update All' command button and 'Send
> SQL updates' checkbox are dimmed and cannot be chosen.  I have a feeling
> that this is the problem but don't chy they are not available commands.

> Thanks,

> Chip

Mon, 23 Dec 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Updating Access table via ODBC from Fox
Many thanks,  I'm not sure that it would have crossed my feeble mind that I
had to have a key to update on.

Mon, 23 Dec 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Updating Access table via ODBC from Fox
Chip
They will remain dimmed till you checked at least a key field and a field to
update. Click the little grey square under the key symbol against your key
field. That done you be able to checkmark any updateable fields under the
pencil symbol.
-Anders

Quote:
> Thanks,

> I've tried both the local and remote views.  When I create a remote view
and
> go to the 'Update Criteria' tab the 'Update All' command button and 'Send
> SQL updates' checkbox are dimmed and cannot be chosen.  I have a feeling
> that this is the problem but don't chy they are not available commands.

> Thanks,

> Chip

Mon, 23 Dec 2002 03:00:00 GMT

1. Updating Access via ODBC

2. Updating a VFP Foxpro Table from a Web Page via the VFP ODBC driver/ADO

3. Using VFP to access VFP tables via ODBC

4. Need help creating Fox 2.5 table via MS Visual FoxPro ODBC driver

5. Foxpro, Oracle via ODBC update trigger problems !

6. Foxpro, Oracle via ODBC update trigger problems

7. Foxpro, Oracle via odbc update trigger problems

8. VFP via Access/ODBC

9. Accessing .dbf via vfp odbc

10. Accessing VFP3 files via ODBC

11. Accessing FoxPro via ODBC - DELETED Rows HELP!!

12. Query an Access fle from VFP5 via ODBC