VFP 5.0 to VFP 7.0
Author Message
 VFP 5.0 to VFP 7.0

I am getting ready to migrate apps. from VFP 5.0 to VFP 7.0.  I have
tried one app. and when building a new executable file I am getting
syntax errors on lines of code like  messagebox("Example message box")

and I am getting the error, "Date/date time  evaluated to an invalid
value" on lines of code like     ThisForm.txtFirstDate.Value =
{00/00/0000}

Should this be going smoothly for me or are there necessary migration
steps/tools that I need to use to successfully accomplish this?

Thank you,
Christa

Mon, 11 Jul 2005 01:06:17 GMT
 VFP 5.0 to VFP 7.0
Christa seemed to utter in

Quote:
> I am getting ready to migrate apps. from VFP 5.0 to VFP 7.0.  I have
> tried one app. and when building a new executable file I am getting
> syntax errors on lines of code like  messagebox("Example message box")

Not sure why that would throw an error.

Quote:
> and I am getting the error, "Date/date time  evaluated to an invalid
> value" on lines of code like     ThisForm.txtFirstDate.Value =
> {00/00/0000}

You are running into the StrictDate settings.  Setting
the StrictDate setting in the tools options in VFP to
"0 - off" will ignore these problems.  Eventually, though,
you'll probably want to set StrictDate to at least
"1 - Constants" so that it forces you to use the more
bullet-proof date format of {^2003-01-22}.

By the way, do you actually have a date assignment with
the date {00/00/0000}?  If you are wanting to assign an
empty date to something, just use two curly braces like
this: ThisForm.txtDate.Value = {}

-- TRW
_______________________________________
My e-mail:  t r w 7

_______________________________________

Mon, 11 Jul 2005 01:57:16 GMT
 VFP 5.0 to VFP 7.0
Thank you very much.  Yes, there is code with a date assignment with
the date {00/00/0000}.  Anything is possible in inherited code!  Thank
you again!
Quote:

> Christa seemed to utter in

> > I am getting ready to migrate apps. from VFP 5.0 to VFP 7.0.  I have
> > tried one app. and when building a new executable file I am getting
> > syntax errors on lines of code like  messagebox("Example message box")

> Not sure why that would throw an error.

> > and I am getting the error, "Date/date time  evaluated to an invalid
> > value" on lines of code like     ThisForm.txtFirstDate.Value =
> > {00/00/0000}

> You are running into the StrictDate settings.  Setting
> the StrictDate setting in the tools options in VFP to
> "0 - off" will ignore these problems.  Eventually, though,
> you'll probably want to set StrictDate to at least
> "1 - Constants" so that it forces you to use the more
> bullet-proof date format of {^2003-01-22}.

> By the way, do you actually have a date assignment with
> the date {00/00/0000}?  If you are wanting to assign an
> empty date to something, just use two curly braces like
> this: ThisForm.txtDate.Value = {}

> -- TRW
> _______________________________________
> My e-mail:  t r w 7

> _______________________________________

Fri, 15 Jul 2005 21:14:53 GMT
 VFP 5.0 to VFP 7.0

Quote:
> I am getting ready to migrate apps. from VFP 5.0 to VFP 7.0.  I have
> tried one app. and when building a new executable file I am getting
> syntax errors on lines of code like  messagebox("Example message box")

I never used VFP5 but at one point the MESSAGEBOX() was added to the native
product (used to be in the FoxTools library). Maybe someone else will know
the answer to this one.

Quote:
> and I am getting the error, "Date/date time  evaluated to an invalid
> value" on lines of code like     ThisForm.txtFirstDate.Value =
> {00/00/0000}

Tools | Options | General | Year 2000 Compliance. Change the Strict Date
Level to 0. Then go into Help and read about the SET STRICTDATE Command and
the StrictDa{*filter*}try Property

Quote:
> Should this be going smoothly for me or are there necessary migration
> steps/tools that I need to use to successfully accomplish this?

There are no migration tools. You can read the "What's New" topic but that
will tell you what's new from VFP6 to VFP7. I don't have the VFP6 Help
online right now to review what it says there.

http://www.*-*-*.com/ ; http://www.*-*-*.com/

Sun, 17 Jul 2005 22:06:12 GMT
 VFP 5.0 to VFP 7.0

Cindy, Christa,
Messagebox() went "native" in VFP (3.0) - you needed FoxTools.FLL in FPW 2.x to use MsgBox( ) the
API's MessageBox() clone.

The VFP 6.0 help's "What's New" list's:
"Programmer's Guide, Part 11: What's New in Visual FoxPro
The following chapters describe the new features in Visual FoxPro 6.0. These features make creating
Visual FoxPro applications faster and easier than ever, and allow you to create applications for the
Internet and intranets.

Chapter 31 Interoperability and the Internet

Use OLE drag-and-drop to develop applications that let you move data between Windows-based
applications and within a Visual FoxPro application. Create applications and Visual FoxPro servers
for use with the Internet.

Chapter 32 Application Development and Developer Productivity

Component Gallery and Foundation Classes, Coverage Profiler Application, Project Manager Hooks, and
Wizards

Chapter 33 Programming Improvements

New programming features designed to improve developer productivity, including Access and Assign
methods, support for more graphic file formats, and new language to simplify programming tasks.
Also, many of the file name manipulation functions available in Foxtools.fll, a Visual FoxPro API
library, have been added to Visual FoxPro."

As you can see there are three whole chapters of changes - besides all the little stuff.

Rick

Quote:

> > I am getting ready to migrate apps. from VFP 5.0 to VFP 7.0.  I have
> > tried one app. and when building a new executable file I am getting
> > syntax errors on lines of code like  messagebox("Example message box")

> I never used VFP5 but at one point the MESSAGEBOX() was added to the native
> product (used to be in the FoxTools library). Maybe someone else will know
> the answer to this one.

> > and I am getting the error, "Date/date time  evaluated to an invalid
> > value" on lines of code like     ThisForm.txtFirstDate.Value =
> > {00/00/0000}

> Tools | Options | General | Year 2000 Compliance. Change the Strict Date
> Level to 0. Then go into Help and read about the SET STRICTDATE Command and
> the StrictDa{*filter*}try Property

> > Should this be going smoothly for me or are there necessary migration
> > steps/tools that I need to use to successfully accomplish this?

> There are no migration tools. You can read the "What's New" topic but that
> will tell you what's new from VFP6 to VFP7. I don't have the VFP6 Help
> online right now to review what it says there.

> --
> Cindy Winegarden  MCSD, Microsoft Visual FoxPro MVP

> http://www.*-*-*.com/ ; http://www.*-*-*.com/

Sun, 17 Jul 2005 22:34:57 GMT
 VFP 5.0 to VFP 7.0

Quote:
> The VFP 6.0 help's "What's New" list's:
> "Programmer's Guide, Part 11: What's New in Visual FoxPro

Here's more:

What's New in Visual FoxPro 6.0
Listed here are the new features and enhancements made to Visual FoxPro.
Details are covered in Part 11, What's New in Visual FoxPro, in the
Programmer's Guide.

Access & Assign Methods
These user-defined methods let you execute code when the value of a property
is queried or when you attempt to change the propertys value. Benefits are
that you can create a public interface for a class or object that separates
the interface from the implementation, you can easily implement property
validation, and you can easily protect properties in subclassed ActiveX
controls.

Active Documents
An Active Document is a Windows-based, non-HTML application embedded in a
browser, providing a way for the functionality of that application to be
accessible from within the browser interface. Visual FoxPro Active Document
applications are like any other Visual FoxPro applications in that you can
run forms, reports, and labels, instantiate classes, run code, and
manipulate data, but they have the added advantage of being hostable in an
Active Document container, such as Internet Explorer.

Component Gallery
The Component Gallery is a new tool that helps you to group and organize
objects such as class libraries, forms, buttons, and so on, into object,
project, application, or other groupings. These visual groupings are
dynamically customizable so that you can use, duplicate, or rearrange
components among several classifications within the Component Gallery. The
Component Gallery also contains new Visual FoxPro foundation classes that
provide right-out-of-the-box functionality.

Coverage Profiler Application
A coverage application writes information about which lines of code in a
file were run. A profiler application provides information about which lines
actually run, how many times a line is run, duration, and more. Coverage and
profiling enable a developer to identify problem areas in an application,
especially skipped code and performance bottlenecks. The Visual FoxPro
Coverage Profiler provides a Coverage engine that you can use or customize,
and a multiwindow application that you can use to analyze programs and
projects.

GIF & JPEG Support
To further support Internet interoperability, Visual FoxPro has been
enhanced to support the GIF (Graphics Interchange Format) and JPEG (Joint
Photographic Electronic Group) graphic file formats.

HTML Help
HTML Help is the Microsoft solution for bringing Help content to the
Internet world. Visual Studio comes with HTML Help Workshop so that you can
create and distribute HTML Help files with your Visual FoxPro applications.

Language Elements (new and enhanced)
The Visual FoxPro language has been enhanced to simplify programming tasks.
Also, many of the file name manipulation functions available in
Foxtools.fll, a Visual FoxPro API library, have been added to Visual FoxPro.

OLE Drag & Drop
Visual FoxPro now supports OLE drag-and-drop, a powerful and useful tool
that allows you to move data between other applications that support OLE
drag-and-drop (such as Visual Basic, Windows Explorer, Microsoft Excel and
Word). In a distributed Visual FoxPro application, you can move data between
controls in the application, or between controls and other Window
applications that support OLE drag-and-drop.

Project Manager Hooks
In previous versions of Visual FoxPro , the only access to projects is
direct .dbf-like manipulation of the .pjx file or its Project Manager window
based on the Window Title. In order to give programmatic access to the
Project Manager, we have implemented a Project object association model. The
model consists of the project, a Project object and its associated
ProjectHook object. The Project object is instantiated whenever a project is
opened (via CREATE PROJECT, MODIFY PROJECT, BUILD APP, etc). The Project
object acts as a medium between the open project and the Visual FoxPro IDE,
and allows developers to interact directly with the project. The Project
object also instantiates a ProjectHook object, which is used for event
notification.

Automation Server Improvements
Visual FoxPro offers improved, more robust automation servers that work
better with products and technologies such as the Microsoft Transaction
Server, Microsoft Visual Basic, and Active Server Pages.

Wizards and Builders (new and enhanced)
Besides enhancements to several existing wizards, Visual FoxPro comes with
new wizards and builders that help you to build applications, create
databases, publish your data on the Web, perform object modeling, and create
your own wizards.

Year 2000 Date Support
Several language enhancements have been added to Visual FoxPro to support
the Year 2000 date in application code.

http://mdsn.microsoft.com/vfoxpro  http://foxcentral.net

Mon, 18 Jul 2005 00:01:08 GMT
 VFP 5.0 to VFP 7.0
Hi, Cindy!
You wrote  on Wed, 29 Jan 2003 11:01:08 -0500:

 CW> Here's more:

[Sorry, skipped]

And more in VFP6 SP3 just to name them - session class, runtime compiling...

WBR, Igor

Sun, 17 Jul 2005 06:54:56 GMT

1. VFP 5.0 Pro Upgrade CD to VFP 7.0 Pro Version Upgrade CD

2. Converson VFP 5.0 -> VFP 7.0

3. VFP 5.0 vs 7.0

4. Linking VFP 5.0 database in SQL server 7.0

5. Problem with the VFP 5.0 and SQL 7.0

6. VFP 5.0 or VdBase 7.0 or Access97?

7. Convert VFP 3.0 to VFP 5.0 Problem

8. VFP 5.0 Starting Exe Application without VFP Opening Screen - HELP

9. Problem convert VFP 5.0 to VFP 6.0

10. Conversion from Vfp 5.0 to Vfp 6.0

11. Moving a project from VFP 3.0 to VFP 5.0

12. Moving VFP 3.0 Project to VFP 5.0