Extract data from delimited text file
Author Message
 Extract data from delimited text file

Have a look at APPEND FROM
    CREATE CURSOR temp (firstname C(10), lastname C(10), phone C(10))
    APPEND FROM "test.txt" TYPE DELIMITED WITH CHARACTER "|"

hth
-Stefan

Quote:
> Trying to extract data from a text file so I can load it
> into a db table.
> My file looks like("|" is the delimeter):

> firstname|lastname|phone|email

> I need to extract firstname and phone from the file.  Any
> ideas on how I can do this?

Tue, 30 Nov 2004 23:47:02 GMT
 Extract data from delimited text file
Create a table with your desired structure.

APPEND FROM yourfile.txt DELIMITED WITH CHARACTER "|"

--

Fred
Microsoft Visual FoxPro MVP

Quote:

> Trying to extract data from a text file so I can load it
> into a db table.
> My file looks like("|" is the delimeter):

> firstname|lastname|phone|email

> I need to extract firstname and phone from the file.  Any
> ideas on how I can do this?

---

Tue, 30 Nov 2004 23:48:46 GMT
 Extract data from delimited text file
Oops, forgot to tell ya I am using Oracle as my db.  I
guess I need to open the file and somehow parse out the
needed data into variables and insert the data into the
table.  Anyone ever done this?
Quote:

Wed, 01 Dec 2004 01:25:16 GMT
 Extract data from delimited text file
So make your "table" that you do the import into a remote view.

--

Fred
Microsoft Visual FoxPro MVP
Please respond only to the newsgroups so that all may benefit.

Quote:

> Oops, forgot to tell ya I am using Oracle as my db.  I
> guess I need to open the file and somehow parse out the
> needed data into variables and insert the data into the
> table.  Anyone ever done this?

---

Wed, 01 Dec 2004 01:56:22 GMT
 Extract data from delimited text file

Quote:
> Oops, forgot to tell ya I am using Oracle as my db.  I
> guess I need to open the file and somehow parse out the
> needed data into variables and insert the data into the
> table.  Anyone ever done this?
>> Trying to extract data from a text file so I can load it
>> into a db table.
>> My file looks like("|" is the delimeter):

>> firstname|lastname|phone|email

>> I need to extract firstname and phone from the file.  Any
>> ideas on how I can do this?

Create a FoxPro cursor as described by Stefan. SELECT FirstName, Phone
FROM Temp INTO CURSOR Temp2. Have a view to your Oracle data. APPEND
FROM DBF("Temp2")

Fri, 03 Dec 2004 06:59:10 GMT
 Extract data from delimited text file
SQL Loader?

- Tim

Quote:

--
_______________________________________
My e-mail:  t r w 7

_______________________________________

Mon, 06 Dec 2004 23:11:58 GMT
 Extract data from delimited text file
X-No-Archive=Yes

Hi Tim

Nice to see u back...
You're making yourself rare nowaday

Fred

Mon, 06 Dec 2004 23:17:39 GMT
 Extract data from delimited text file

Quote:
> X-No-Archive=Yes

> Hi Tim

> Nice to see u back...
> You're making yourself rare nowaday

> Fred

Yeah.  I've been under some major deadlines for a project
my company is working on.  Things are easing up a little
so I can read the group again!

-- TRW
_______________________________________
My e-mail:  t r w 7

_______________________________________

Fri, 10 Dec 2004 23:37:18 GMT

1. Exporting Cursor data to comma delimited text file

2. text file processing - read/write comma delimited text

3. Help with Copy Table Contents to a comma delimited text file

4. Need help with append from text file delimited with |

5. Including field names in a delimited text file

6. Programmically distinguish delimited and sdf text file format??

7. Import from a delimited text file

8. EXPERTS HELP Please: Converting Delimited Text files to tables

9. ODBC - extracting data from Access .MDB file

10. Extract binary data from a file

11. Copying data to a delimited file but with no enclosures

12. Howto : Extract text from a field using space as delimiter