SQL-SELECT and transactions
Author Message
 SQL-SELECT and transactions

Hi Ira,

I would suggest ending the transaction first in order to post the changes to
the table.

--
Donald

Quote:

>In VFP 5.0a, I've been getting inconsistent results doing an SQL-Select
>while a BEGIN TRANSACTION is in effect.  I am selecting against a
>non-buffered table that has had new records added inside of the
>transaction.

>Sometimes the new records are included in the SQL-Select result cursor,
>and sometimes they are not.

>Are there any guidelines that I should be aware of when selecting
>against a table that has been updated inside of a transaction?

>I am using VFP 5.0a.

Mon, 14 Aug 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 SQL-SELECT and transactions

In VFP 5.0a, I've been getting inconsistent results doing an SQL-Select
while a BEGIN TRANSACTION is in effect.  I am selecting against a
non-buffered table that has had new records added inside of the
transaction.

Sometimes the new records are included in the SQL-Select result cursor,
and sometimes they are not.

Are there any guidelines that I should be aware of when selecting
against a table that has been updated inside of a transaction?

I am using VFP 5.0a.

Mon, 14 Aug 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 SQL-SELECT and transactions

Good suggestion.

But there could be situations where it would be handy to post changes
that you could later rollback, to a table that you might want to query
as part of the process of updating other tables.

Quote:

> Hi Ira,

> I would suggest ending the transaction first in order to post the changes to
> the table.

> --
> Donald

> >In VFP 5.0a, I've been getting inconsistent results doing an SQL-Select
> >while a BEGIN TRANSACTION is in effect.

.
.
.

Fri, 18 Aug 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 SQL-SELECT and transactions

Even though you have buffering off, when you within a transaction, buffering
is technically on.

The fact that results are inconsistent may be because SQL Select usually
results in the table being used "again", so your uncommitted transactions
will not be seen.

In short, find another solution.

Quote:

>In VFP 5.0a, I've been getting inconsistent results doing an SQL-Select
>while a BEGIN TRANSACTION is in effect.  I am selecting against a
>non-buffered table that has had new records added inside of the
>transaction.

>Sometimes the new records are included in the SQL-Select result cursor,
>and sometimes they are not.

>Are there any guidelines that I should be aware of when selecting
>against a table that has been updated inside of a transaction?

>I am using VFP 5.0a.

Fri, 18 Aug 2000 03:00:00 GMT

1. How can I limit the number of records selected with SELECT - SQL in FPW

2. SQL transactions last too long

3. Different results with SELECT SQL and DELETE SQL.

4. Begin - End Transaction & SQL Server

5. Controlling SQL Server transactions in VFP6

6. Transactions with VFP & SQL SERVER

7. SQL Select / Great Mystery SQL Response time

8. - What can be used instead of IIFs for SQL-SELECT queries in SQL Server 2000

9. Is Transaction Processing Necessary When Using SQL Statements?

10. SQL Select / Great Mystery SQL Response time

11. Dynamic SQL - Getting User Input for SQL Select

12. SQL Server Transactions