Question on ComboBoxes
Author Message
 Question on ComboBoxes

Hello:
How come I cannot set the ComboBox ReadOnly Property to .T., when the style of the combobox is set to 2 - Dropdown list?

I want to make sure that the user cannot change the value of a record, unless he is authorized to do so(Read Only Property), and also not be able to type his own values in the comboBox, only read from the values populating the combobox(2-DropDown list Property).  Any ideas?

Thanks,

--
Omar Soto

Tue, 06 Sep 2005 02:19:07 GMT
 Question on ComboBoxes
Hi Omar:

The Help file for the Style property states that:
"Drop-down List. The user must select from the drop-down list."  This does
not mention a user being able to write to the list.

If you want a read/write combo box, then take a look at this article:

140652 HOWTO: Capture Input in a Combo Box
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=140652

I think you can modify this code to meet your needs.

I hope this helps.

Sincerely,
Microsoft FoxPro Technical Support
Lee Mitchell

Quote:

--
>Omar Soto

Tue, 06 Sep 2005 02:49:19 GMT
 Question on ComboBoxes
Lee:
    I do not want the user to write directly to the combobox, that is why I
set the Style property as Drop-Down List.  The problem is that when I set
that property, the ReadOnly Property is set to .F. and I need it to stay as
.T..  I do not want the user to change the value of the record, unless I
give him permission to change the record based on user security settings.

Omar

--
Omar Soto

Quote:
> Hi Omar:

> The Help file for the Style property states that:
> "Drop-down List. The user must select from the drop-down list."  This does
> not mention a user being able to write to the list.

> If you want a read/write combo box, then take a look at this article:

> 140652 HOWTO: Capture Input in a Combo Box
> http://support.microsoft.com/?id=140652

> I think you can modify this code to meet your needs.

> I hope this helps.

rights.

> Sincerely,
> Microsoft FoxPro Technical Support
> Lee Mitchell

> >Hello:
> >How come I cannot set the ComboBox ReadOnly Property to .T., when the
> style of the >combobox is set to 2 - Dropdown list?

> >I want to make sure that the user cannot change the value of a record,
> unless he is authorized >to do so(Read Only Property), and also not be
able
> to type his own values in the comboBox, >only read from the values
> populating the combobox(2-DropDown list Property).  Any ideas?
> >Thanks,
> --
> >Omar Soto

Tue, 06 Sep 2005 02:54:35 GMT
 Question on ComboBoxes
Set .Enabled=.f. if you don't want the user to change the value.

Quote:
> Lee:
>     I do not want the user to write directly to the combobox, that is why
> set the Style property as Drop-Down List.  The problem is that when I set
> that property, the ReadOnly Property is set to .F. and I need it to stay
as
> .T..  I do not want the user to change the value of the record, unless I
> give him permission to change the record based on user security settings.

> Omar

> --
> Omar Soto

> > Hi Omar:

> > The Help file for the Style property states that:
> > "Drop-down List. The user must select from the drop-down list."  This
does
> > not mention a user being able to write to the list.

> > If you want a read/write combo box, then take a look at this article:

> > 140652 HOWTO: Capture Input in a Combo Box
> > http://support.microsoft.com/?id=140652

> > I think you can modify this code to meet your needs.

> > I hope this helps.

> rights.

> > Sincerely,
> > Microsoft FoxPro Technical Support
> > Lee Mitchell

> > >Hello:
> > >How come I cannot set the ComboBox ReadOnly Property to .T., when the
> > style of the >combobox is set to 2 - Dropdown list?

> > >I want to make sure that the user cannot change the value of a record,
> > unless he is authorized >to do so(Read Only Property), and also not be
> able
> > to type his own values in the comboBox, >only read from the values
> > populating the combobox(2-DropDown list Property).  Any ideas?
> > >Thanks,
> > --
> > >Omar Soto

Tue, 06 Sep 2005 03:06:20 GMT
 Question on ComboBoxes

Quote:
>    I do not want the user to write directly to the combobox, that is why I
>set the Style property as Drop-Down List.  The problem is that when I set
>that property, the ReadOnly Property is set to .F. and I need it to stay as
>.T..  I do not want the user to change the value of the record, unless I
>give him permission to change the record based on user security settings.

So why not use the  enabled  property instead?
If you don't like the colour change, then set Disabledbackcolor and Disabledforecolor.

Tue, 06 Sep 2005 03:19:09 GMT
 Question on ComboBoxes
Thanks to all.

--
Omar Soto

Quote:
> >    I do not want the user to write directly to the combobox, that is why
> >set the Style property as Drop-Down List.  The problem is that when I set
> >that property, the ReadOnly Property is set to .F. and I need it to stay
as
> >.T..  I do not want the user to change the value of the record, unless I
> >give him permission to change the record based on user security settings.

> So why not use the  enabled  property instead?
> If you don't like the colour change, then set Disabledbackcolor and

Disabledforecolor.

Tue, 06 Sep 2005 03:34:55 GMT
 Question on ComboBoxes
Hi Dan,

If I wish to copy in clipboard the text?

Also ListBox have this problem.

Fabio

Quote:

and confers no
>> rights.

>> > Sincerely,
>> > Microsoft FoxPro Technical Support
>> > Lee Mitchell

to .T., when the
>> > style of the >combobox is set to 2 - Dropdown list?

value of a record,
>> > unless he is authorized >to do so(Read Only

Property), and also not be

>> able
>> > to type his own values in the comboBox, >only read
from the values
>> > populating the combobox(2-DropDown list Property).
Any ideas?
>> > --

>.

Tue, 06 Sep 2005 16:46:45 GMT
 Question on ComboBoxes
_cliptext = yourControl.DisplayValue

Quote:
> Hi Dan,

> If I wish to copy in clipboard the text?

> Also ListBox have this problem.

> Fabio

Wed, 07 Sep 2005 00:56:27 GMT

1. Question about comboboxes.

2. VFP - Grid with 3 comboboxes - and a deadline!

3. Vfp 3.0/5.0 Incremental Search in ComboBoxes

4. Flashing grids with comboboxes

5. Using the enter button in Comboboxes

6. Submenus in list/comboboxes, HELP!

7. Any Input? - 2d request: comboboxes

8. comboboxes not displaying correctly.

9. Binding Comboboxes to numerics

10. Grids and Comboboxes

11. FirstElement not working in 5.0a comboboxes?

12. comboboxes on a grid