Multiple foreign character sets in a database
Author Message
 Multiple foreign character sets in a database

Is there an easy way to have fields in a database be in
another language (non-English charaters) ?

ie Field 1 - Name typed in English
   Field 2 - Name typed in native language (may include
right to left entery of the characters)

The name in the native language should be seen on the
screen (in the form) in the native language & also when
printed in reports.

I am running Windows XP and VFP 6.

I will be giving out .exe & the run time libraries. With
this work on other versions of Windows (ie WIn 98 or ME)
which do not have unicode support ?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Sat, 03 Sep 2005 05:26:30 GMT
 Multiple foreign character sets in a database
Hi Avram,

Surf on over to www.stevenblack.com and look for the INTLToolkit. It does
exactly what you want.

> Is there an easy way to have fields in a database be in
> another language (non-English charaters) ?

> ie Field 1 - Name typed in English
>    Field 2 - Name typed in native language (may include
> right to left entery of the characters)

> The name in the native language should be seen on the
> screen (in the form) in the native language & also when
> printed in reports.

> I am running Windows XP and VFP 6.

> I will be giving out .exe & the run time libraries. With
> this work on other versions of Windows (ie WIn 98 or ME)
> which do not have unicode support ?

> Thanks in advance for your help.

Sat, 03 Sep 2005 07:58:04 GMT
 Multiple foreign character sets in a database

Quote:
>Is there an easy way to have fields in a database be in
>another language (non-English charaters) ?

You would proabaly need to use NOCPTRANS to force the characters not to be translated to the codepage of the table.
The standard windows codepage works for most left-to-right languages based on the latin alphabet.

Steven Black's website has a good section on how to produce an international application, but just to enter and save names in many languages you don't need the INTL toolkit.
If you want to present the prompts on your screens, your menus, your reports all in the language of choice of the user - THEN you need the INTL toolkit.

Sun, 04 Sep 2005 03:24:51 GMT
 Multiple foreign character sets in a database

Quote:

Looks like a good possibility, but to expensive for the
non-profit I am writing the program for (my time is free
too).

I tried using a foreign font in one field on a form& it
seems to show the correct font.  Does anyone have a
routine for entering characters in a form from right to
left ?  (it also has to be able to insert & delete
charaters appropriately).

Thanks in advance.

Quote:

>--
>Cindy Winegarden  MCSD, Microsoft Visual FoxPro MVP

http://cindywinegarden.adsl.duke.edu
Quote:
>http://msdn.microsoft.com/vfoxpro  http://foxcentral.net

>> Is there an easy way to have fields in a database be in
>> another language (non-English charaters) ?

>> ie Field 1 - Name typed in English
>>    Field 2 - Name typed in native language (may include
>> right to left entery of the characters)

>> The name in the native language should be seen on the
>> screen (in the form) in the native language & also when
>> printed in reports.

>> I am running Windows XP and VFP 6.

>> I will be giving out .exe & the run time libraries.
With
>> this work on other versions of Windows (ie WIn 98 or
ME)
>> which do not have unicode support ?

>> Thanks in advance for your help.

>.

Sun, 04 Sep 2005 03:31:02 GMT
 Multiple foreign character sets in a database
You are looking for the RightToLeft property - this only works in Middle
Eastern versions of Windows.

Andrew R.

Quote:

Sun, 04 Sep 2005 15:27:29 GMT
 Multiple foreign character sets in a database
Avram,

you mention that you are using VFP6. Take close look into the examples.
There is one that uses the RichTextControl box. Although this control in NOT
native VFp it can be used without any problems and you can store its content
to a memo-fiels. By doing this I can support almost all language (double
bytes are still a problem though). You can easily work with Polish, Czech
etc languages and you can even mix them all in one field.
Printing, however, may be some cause for headaches. Weve been able to solve
it.....

Ron

Quote:
> Is there an easy way to have fields in a database be in
> another language (non-English charaters) ?

> ie Field 1 - Name typed in English
>    Field 2 - Name typed in native language (may include
> right to left entery of the characters)

> The name in the native language should be seen on the
> screen (in the form) in the native language & also when
> printed in reports.

> I am running Windows XP and VFP 6.

> I will be giving out .exe & the run time libraries. With
> this work on other versions of Windows (ie WIn 98 or ME)
> which do not have unicode support ?

> Thanks in advance for your help.

Thu, 08 Sep 2005 06:00:58 GMT

1. Foreign language character sets

2. Multiple Character Sets on same report

3. Need Urgent Help with foreign characters

4. foreign and special characters

5. multiple screen, multiple table screen sets

6. Character Set

7. Chinese Character Set

8. Old European character sets

9. set collate in character fields

10. How to set the width of the text string in text file to 350 characters

11. Changing font/character set programatically in report field

12. Multiple SET DEVICE TO FILE commands