How to import hundreds of free table to one DBC
Author Message
 How to import hundreds of free table to one DBC

I have a application developed in VFP3b with hundreds of free table.  How
can I import those free tables programmatically into a dbc instead of import
it one by one in UI environment ?

Matthew

Sat, 11 Jun 2005 10:51:04 GMT
 How to import hundreds of free table to one DBC
On Tue, 24 Dec 2002 10:51:04 +0800, "Matthew To"

Quote:

>I have a application developed in VFP3b with hundreds of free table.  How
>can I import those free tables programmatically into a dbc instead of import
>it one by one in UI environment ?

>Matthew

You could collect them into an array with ADIR().
The CREATE DATABASE or SET DATABASE TO xx
Then run an ADD TABLE for each free table.

HTH

Alex Feldstein
________________________________
Microsoft Visual FoxPro MVP
http://foxcentral.net
Please respond in the public groups so that everybody
can benefit from the exchange.
Favor de responder en los foros pblicos asi todos se benefician.
Address scrambled with ROT-13

Sat, 11 Jun 2005 11:26:51 GMT
 How to import hundreds of free table to one DBC
Hi Alex,

Thanks for your reply.  I am using VFP6 and the free table version is
VFP3.0B, during ADD TABLE, there is message warning the conversion.  How to
suppress this warning window ?
I have set safty off but not working.

Thanks again.

Matthew

Quote:
> On Tue, 24 Dec 2002 10:51:04 +0800, "Matthew To"

> >I have a application developed in VFP3b with hundreds of free table.  How
> >can I import those free tables programmatically into a dbc instead of
import
> >it one by one in UI environment ?

> >Matthew

> You could collect them into an array with ADIR().
> The CREATE DATABASE or SET DATABASE TO xx
> Then run an ADD TABLE for each free table.

> HTH

> Alex Feldstein
> ________________________________
> Microsoft Visual FoxPro MVP
> http://foxcentral.net
> Please respond in the public groups so that everybody
> can benefit from the exchange.
> Favor de responder en los foros pblicos asi todos se benefician.
> Address scrambled with ROT-13

Sat, 11 Jun 2005 15:40:27 GMT
 How to import hundreds of free table to one DBC
Try SET NOTIFY OFF
-A

Quote:
> Hi Alex,

> Thanks for your reply.  I am using VFP6 and the free table version is
> VFP3.0B, during ADD TABLE, there is message warning the conversion.  How
> suppress this warning window ?
> I have set safty off but not working.

> Thanks again.

> Matthew

> > On Tue, 24 Dec 2002 10:51:04 +0800, "Matthew To"

> > >I have a application developed in VFP3b with hundreds of free table.
How
> > >can I import those free tables programmatically into a dbc instead of
> import
> > >it one by one in UI environment ?

> > >Matthew

> > You could collect them into an array with ADIR().
> > The CREATE DATABASE or SET DATABASE TO xx
> > Then run an ADD TABLE for each free table.

> > HTH

> > Alex Feldstein
> > ________________________________
> > Microsoft Visual FoxPro MVP
> > http://foxcentral.net
> > Please respond in the public groups so that everybody
> > can benefit from the exchange.
> > Favor de responder en los foros pblicos asi todos se benefician.
> > Address scrambled with ROT-13

Sat, 11 Jun 2005 20:58:37 GMT
 How to import hundreds of free table to one DBC

Quote:
> I have a application developed in VFP3b with hundreds of free table.
> How can I import those free tables programmatically into a dbc
> instead of import it one by one in UI environment ?

If you want to do it in the UI you can open the database in the Database
Designer, then open Explorer and multi-select the tables, then drag over to
the database. Alternatively, in the Database Designer's Add table dialog you
can multi-select.

FWIW, in the same way you can drag PRG files to the Project Manager, or
multi-select in the Add dialog. Works for all types of files.

http://mdsn.microsoft.com/vfoxpro  http://foxcentral.net

Sun, 12 Jun 2005 02:08:06 GMT
 How to import hundreds of free table to one DBC
Hi Anders,

Thanks for your suggestion. I have try "SET NOTIFY OFF", no luck.

Matthew

Quote:
> Try SET NOTIFY OFF
> -A

> > Hi Alex,

> > Thanks for your reply.  I am using VFP6 and the free table version is
> > VFP3.0B, during ADD TABLE, there is message warning the conversion.  How
> > suppress this warning window ?
> > I have set safty off but not working.

> > Thanks again.

> > Matthew

> > > On Tue, 24 Dec 2002 10:51:04 +0800, "Matthew To"

> How
> > import

> > > You could collect them into an array with ADIR().
> > > The CREATE DATABASE or SET DATABASE TO xx
> > > Then run an ADD TABLE for each free table.

> > > HTH

> > > Alex Feldstein
> > > ________________________________
> > > Microsoft Visual FoxPro MVP
> > > http://foxcentral.net
> > > Please respond in the public groups so that everybody
> > > can benefit from the exchange.
> > > Favor de responder en los foros pblicos asi todos se benefician.
> > > Address scrambled with ROT-13

Tue, 14 Jun 2005 14:23:30 GMT
 How to import hundreds of free table to one DBC
Hi Cindy,

Thanks for your reply.  I am using VFP6 and the free tables are VFP3.0b ,
therefore a "Table Update Warning" is displayed for each table.  Is there a
way to suppress the warning window ?

Matthew

Quote:

> > I have a application developed in VFP3b with hundreds of free table.
> > How can I import those free tables programmatically into a dbc
> > instead of import it one by one in UI environment ?

> If you want to do it in the UI you can open the database in the Database
> Designer, then open Explorer and multi-select the tables, then drag over
> the database. Alternatively, in the Database Designer's Add table dialog
you
> can multi-select.

> FWIW, in the same way you can drag PRG files to the Project Manager, or
> multi-select in the Add dialog. Works for all types of files.

> --
> Cindy Winegarden  MCSD, Microsoft Visual FoxPro MVP

> http://mdsn.microsoft.com/vfoxpro  http://foxcentral.net

Tue, 14 Jun 2005 14:39:22 GMT
 How to import hundreds of free table to one DBC
On Tue, 24 Dec 2002 15:40:27 +0800, "Matthew To"

Quote:

>Thanks for your reply.  I am using VFP6 and the free table version is
>VFP3.0B, during ADD TABLE, there is message warning the conversion.  How to
>suppress this warning window ?

It is always helpful if one would post the exact warning message. I
don't have 3.0b installed, and so can't try it myself to get the
message. Once you have the exact message, you might try searching on
it in google and google groups, because the question has come up
before.

------------------------
Nancy Folsom--FoxPro MVP
Author of _Debugging_Visual_FoxPro_Applications_
http://www.hentzenwerke.com/catalogavailability/debugvfp.htm

Download VFP 8.0 Beta
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/release.asp?ReleaseID=44987
In order to best serve the community, please post to the public
forum. I only reply to private requests for support from clients.

Wed, 15 Jun 2005 01:27:06 GMT
 How to import hundreds of free table to one DBC
Matthew,

You haven't posted the exact text of the warning. My guess is that your
tables are FoxPro 2.x tables, not VFP tables. The text of the warning
message you get when adding a Fox2x table to a DBC is:

"File 'MyFile.dbf' will be updated to a new file format, making it
unreadabele to previous versions of FoxPro. This can be reversed with the
'COPY TO' command and the old table will be saved as a .BAK file. Continue?"

I haven't yet found a way to avoid this message; it looks like you will get
it whether you add them by hand or using a program. Maybe someone else will
have an idea.

http://mdsn.microsoft.com/vfoxpro  http://foxcentral.net

Quote:
> Hi Cindy,

> Thanks for your reply.  I am using VFP6 and the free tables are VFP3.0b ,
> therefore a "Table Update Warning" is displayed for each table.  Is there
> way to suppress the warning window ?

> Matthew

> > > I have a application developed in VFP3b with hundreds of free table.
> > > How can I import those free tables programmatically into a dbc
> > > instead of import it one by one in UI environment ?

> > If you want to do it in the UI you can open the database in the Database
> > Designer, then open Explorer and multi-select the tables, then drag over
> > the database. Alternatively, in the Database Designer's Add table dialog
> you
> > can multi-select.

> > FWIW, in the same way you can drag PRG files to the Project Manager, or
> > multi-select in the Add dialog. Works for all types of files.

> > --
> > Cindy Winegarden  MCSD, Microsoft Visual FoxPro MVP

> > http://mdsn.microsoft.com/vfoxpro  http://foxcentral.net

Thu, 16 Jun 2005 02:15:44 GMT
 How to import hundreds of free table to one DBC
May be SET CPDIALOG OFF

Vlad Egorov

Quote:
> Matthew,

> You haven't posted the exact text of the warning. My guess is that your
> tables are FoxPro 2.x tables, not VFP tables. The text of the warning
> message you get when adding a Fox2x table to a DBC is:

> "File 'MyFile.dbf' will be updated to a new file format, making it
> unreadabele to previous versions of FoxPro. This can be reversed with the
> 'COPY TO' command and the old table will be saved as a .BAK file.
Continue?"

> I haven't yet found a way to avoid this message; it looks like you will
get
> it whether you add them by hand or using a program. Maybe someone else
will
> have an idea.

> --
> Cindy Winegarden  MCSD, Microsoft Visual FoxPro MVP

> http://mdsn.microsoft.com/vfoxpro  http://foxcentral.net

> > Hi Cindy,

> > Thanks for your reply.  I am using VFP6 and the free tables are VFP3.0b
,
> > therefore a "Table Update Warning" is displayed for each table.  Is
there
> > way to suppress the warning window ?

> > Matthew

> > > If you want to do it in the UI you can open the database in the
Database
> > > Designer, then open Explorer and multi-select the tables, then drag
over
> > > the database. Alternatively, in the Database Designer's Add table
dialog
> > you
> > > can multi-select.

> > > FWIW, in the same way you can drag PRG files to the Project Manager,
or
> > > multi-select in the Add dialog. Works for all types of files.

> > > --
> > > Cindy Winegarden  MCSD, Microsoft Visual FoxPro MVP

> > > http://mdsn.microsoft.com/vfoxpro  http://foxcentral.net

Thu, 16 Jun 2005 18:09:04 GMT
 How to import hundreds of free table to one DBC
I think that does not help either.
    CLOSE DATABASES ALL

    CREATE CURSOR temp (test C(10))
    COPY TO test551 TYPE FOX2X

    CREATE DATABASE test551
    SET TALK OFF    && none of these
    SET NOTIFY OFF    && prevents the message
    SET SAFETY OFF
    SET CPDIALOG OFF
    ADD TABLE test551

    CLOSE DATABASES ALL
    *!* ERASE test551.*

-Stefan

Quote:
> May be SET CPDIALOG OFF

> Vlad Egorov

> > Matthew,

> > You haven't posted the exact text of the warning. My guess is that your
> > tables are FoxPro 2.x tables, not VFP tables. The text of the warning
> > message you get when adding a Fox2x table to a DBC is:

> > "File 'MyFile.dbf' will be updated to a new file format, making it
> > unreadabele to previous versions of FoxPro. This can be reversed with the
> > 'COPY TO' command and the old table will be saved as a .BAK file.
> Continue?"

> > I haven't yet found a way to avoid this message; it looks like you will
> get
> > it whether you add them by hand or using a program. Maybe someone else
> will
> > have an idea.

> > --
> > Cindy Winegarden  MCSD, Microsoft Visual FoxPro MVP

> > http://mdsn.microsoft.com/vfoxpro  http://foxcentral.net

> > > Hi Cindy,

> > > Thanks for your reply.  I am using VFP6 and the free tables are VFP3.0b
> ,
> > > therefore a "Table Update Warning" is displayed for each table.  Is
> there
> > > way to suppress the warning window ?

> > > Matthew

> Database
> over
> dialog
> > > you

> or

Thu, 16 Jun 2005 20:48:37 GMT
 How to import hundreds of free table to one DBC
Hi Cindy,
You are right.  The table is not VFP table , it is FoxPro 2.x table.  The
error message is exactly you have posted.  Sorry for my mistake.

Thanks

Matthew

Quote:
> Hi Cindy,

> Thanks for your reply.  I am using VFP6 and the free tables are VFP3.0b ,
> therefore a "Table Update Warning" is displayed for each table.  Is there
> way to suppress the warning window ?

> Matthew

> > > I have a application developed in VFP3b with hundreds of free table.
> > > How can I import those free tables programmatically into a dbc
> > > instead of import it one by one in UI environment ?

> > If you want to do it in the UI you can open the database in the Database
> > Designer, then open Explorer and multi-select the tables, then drag over
> > the database. Alternatively, in the Database Designer's Add table dialog
> you
> > can multi-select.

> > FWIW, in the same way you can drag PRG files to the Project Manager, or
> > multi-select in the Add dialog. Works for all types of files.

> > --
> > Cindy Winegarden  MCSD, Microsoft Visual FoxPro MVP

> > http://mdsn.microsoft.com/vfoxpro  http://foxcentral.net

Fri, 17 Jun 2005 10:52:31 GMT
 How to import hundreds of free table to one DBC
Hi Vlad,

I tried "SET CPDIALOG OFF" , not working.

I have added all the free table in the DBC with "confirmation to change" for
each table.

Thanks for your help.

Matthew

Quote:
> May be SET CPDIALOG OFF

> Vlad Egorov

> > Matthew,

> > You haven't posted the exact text of the warning. My guess is that your
> > tables are FoxPro 2.x tables, not VFP tables. The text of the warning
> > message you get when adding a Fox2x table to a DBC is:

> > "File 'MyFile.dbf' will be updated to a new file format, making it
> > unreadabele to previous versions of FoxPro. This can be reversed with
the
> > 'COPY TO' command and the old table will be saved as a .BAK file.
> Continue?"

> > I haven't yet found a way to avoid this message; it looks like you will
> get
> > it whether you add them by hand or using a program. Maybe someone else
> will
> > have an idea.

> > --
> > Cindy Winegarden  MCSD, Microsoft Visual FoxPro MVP

> > http://mdsn.microsoft.com/vfoxpro  http://foxcentral.net

> > > Hi Cindy,

> > > Thanks for your reply.  I am using VFP6 and the free tables are
VFP3.0b
> ,
> > > therefore a "Table Update Warning" is displayed for each table.  Is
> there
> > > way to suppress the warning window ?

> > > Matthew

> Database
> over
> dialog
> > > you

> or

Fri, 17 Jun 2005 11:07:19 GMT
 How to import hundreds of free table to one DBC
Hi Stefan,

I have tried your sugguestion, the "confirmation of change" message box is
still popped for each table.
Anyway, I have added all the free table in the DBC with "confirmation to
change" for each table.

Thanks for your help.

Matthew

Quote:
> I think that does not help either.
>     CLOSE DATABASES ALL

>     CREATE CURSOR temp (test C(10))
>     COPY TO test551 TYPE FOX2X

>     CREATE DATABASE test551
>     SET TALK OFF    && none of these
>     SET NOTIFY OFF    && prevents the message
>     SET SAFETY OFF
>     SET CPDIALOG OFF
>     ADD TABLE test551

>     CLOSE DATABASES ALL
>     *!* ERASE test551.*

> -Stefan

> > May be SET CPDIALOG OFF

> > Vlad Egorov

> > > Matthew,

> > > You haven't posted the exact text of the warning. My guess is that
your
> > > tables are FoxPro 2.x tables, not VFP tables. The text of the warning
> > > message you get when adding a Fox2x table to a DBC is:

> > > "File 'MyFile.dbf' will be updated to a new file format, making it
> > > unreadabele to previous versions of FoxPro. This can be reversed with
the
> > > 'COPY TO' command and the old table will be saved as a .BAK file.
> > Continue?"

> > > I haven't yet found a way to avoid this message; it looks like you
will
> > get
> > > it whether you add them by hand or using a program. Maybe someone else
> > will
> > > have an idea.

> > > --
> > > Cindy Winegarden  MCSD, Microsoft Visual FoxPro MVP

> > > http://mdsn.microsoft.com/vfoxpro  http://foxcentral.net

VFP3.0b
> > ,
> > there

> > Database
> > over
> > dialog

Manager,
> > or

Fri, 17 Jun 2005 11:08:55 GMT
 How to import hundreds of free table to one DBC
To suppress this warning create a program to copy the
tables to the new version (VFP6) and then issue ADD TABLE
with the new table.

Quote:

Wed, 22 Jun 2005 12:26:27 GMT

 [ 17 post ]  Go to page: [1] [2]

 Relevant Pages

1. Moving tables from one .dbc to another .dbc

2. Free Tables vs DBC

3. DBC vs. Free Tables in ODBC

4. .dbc vs. free tables

5. Free tables vs dbc

6. Set relation problems between DBC and free tables

7. dbc VS Free tables

8. Performance of Free tables compared to within a DBC

9. dbc vs free table

10. Free Tables to DBC - Is behaviour different?

11. Need Import Utility that allows import (append) from free tables with field picker/matching.