Microsoft's Open Letter to the FoxPro Community
Author Message
 Microsoft's Open Letter to the FoxPro Community

I received this in the last few days. It contains a lot of useful and
solid information, particularly about the interesting new Fox
technologies OLE automation servers & ActiveX.

Hopefully it should stop the stupid rumours.

Regards,

Principal Consultant, Step One Technologies
Contributing Editor, PC Pro magazine
Associate, Microsoft Consulting Services
Originator of the StepUp Foundation Classes for Visual Foxpro

--- cut here ---

"An Open Letter to the FoxPro Community

Recently there has been speculation as to Microsoft's commitment to
Visual FoxPro and the FoxPro product line.  Some recent articles stated
incorrectly that the next release of FoxPro will be the last.  Given
these inaccuracies and resulting confusion, we want to clarify
Microsoft's position on FoxPro today and in the future.

First and foremost, your investment in FoxPro is safe.  Microsoft will
bring your applications and FoxPro technology forward.  Currently,
Microsoft just put the finishing touches on Visual FoxPro for the Power
Macintosh.  The product team is also hard at work on the next version,
Visual FoxPro 5.0 for Windows.  After version 5.0 ships, Microsoft will
start working on the next release of Visual FoxPro.  Visual FoxPro will
remain a great tool for high-end database development today and in the
future.

Visual FoxPro 3.0 for the Power Macintosh has been released to
manufacturing. This product has full cross-platform compatibility with
Visual FoxPro 3.0 for Windows.  This release brings object-oriented
programming to the Power Macintosh while continuing to be a performance
leader.  All of the great technology that users applaud in Visual FoxPro
for Windows is now available on the Power Macintosh.

Visual FoxPro 5.0 for Windows will be released in Fall 1996.  This
version will have powerful connectivity features, the ability to create
OLE automation servers, full support for ActiveX controls, an enhanced
development environment, a smaller footprint, and greater performance.

After Visual FoxPro 5.0 ships this fall, the FoxPro team, in conjunction
with our other development tool groups, will be working on better
integration of our development tools.  The integration will allow users
to leverage common technologies across all of our development tools.   An
example of this will be the use of the FoxPro engine technology in other
Microsoft development products such as Visual Basic.  This is a strategy
that we have talked about and outlined for the past several years.  You
will start to see this strategy come together in upcoming  releases of
Microsoft development products.

In addition to the integration work, the FoxPro team will be working on
common object technology.  This technology will allow Visual FoxPro
developers to create ActiveX objects that can be used in any
ActiveX-enabled container.  Specifically, this will enable users
existing Visual FoxPro investments to be encapsulated and leveraged going
forward.

To summarize, we have been developing the future product plans for our
development tool products.  In parallel, there have been some incidents
that have caused confusion in the FoxPro community.  Given all of this,
we feel it is important to share with our FoxPro users some of our
specific future product plans.  Every user should know first and foremost
that the investment you have made and continue to make in Visual FoxPro
will be supported and brought forward.  We believe that the combination
of ActiveX control and server creation along with integration of our tool
set will create the best possible development environment for application
developers.  Visual FoxPro and the FoxPro development team will play a
central part in making this vision come
true.

Tod Nielsen - Visual FoxPro General Manager
Bob Muglia - Vice President Internet Platform and Tools Division"

Tue, 24 Nov 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 Microsoft's Open Letter to the FoxPro Community

Silver Step One ") writes:

Quote:

>I received this in the last few days. It contains a lot of useful and
>solid information, particularly about the interesting new Fox
>technologies OLE automation servers & ActiveX.

>Hopefully it should stop the stupid rumours.

>Regards,

>Principal Consultant, Step One Technologies
>Contributing Editor, PC Pro magazine
>Associate, Microsoft Consulting Services
>Originator of the StepUp Foundation Classes for Visual Foxpro

>--- cut here ---

>"An Open Letter to the FoxPro Community

<SNIP>

Quote:

>Visual FoxPro 5.0 for Windows will be released in Fall 1996.  This
>version will have powerful connectivity features, the ability to
create
>OLE automation servers, full support for ActiveX controls, an enhanced
>development environment, a smaller footprint, and greater performance.

Did I just fall asleep or has version 4.0 been skipped??

>Tod Nielsen - Visual FoxPro General Manager
>Bob Muglia - Vice President Internet Platform and Tools Division"

Fri, 27 Nov 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 Microsoft's Open Letter to the FoxPro Community

Both. The next release of VFP will be 5.0 to bring version numbering in
line with next release of VB & VC++.
--
Craig Berntson
Teltrust, Inc.

Quote:

> Did I just fall asleep or has version 4.0 been skipped??

Fri, 27 Nov 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 Microsoft's Open Letter to the FoxPro Community

Quote:
> Did I just fall asleep or has version 4.0 been skipped??

Yes, they've gone straight to v5.0 to keep in synch with VB.

Jon

Sat, 05 Dec 1998 03:00:00 GMT

1. draft Open Letter to Microsoft

2. draft Open Letter to Microsoft

3. MS Letter to VFP Community

4. Microsoft's 'Mastering Visual FoxPro'

5. Visual FoxPro and MCSD (An open letter to the Certification Committee)

6. HELP!How to suppress 'Microsoft Foxpro'

7. FoxPro's death - Microsoft's reply

8. A letter to Microsoft

9. Microsoft's FoxPro 6 Book - Help!!

10. FoxPro's Death: Microsoft Responds

11. Microsoft's commitment to FoxPro

12. Missing letters running VFP 3.0 using ATI's Mach64 Graphic card and software