Visual Fox Pro Application Crashing ...
Author Message
 Visual Fox Pro Application Crashing ...

I have an Visual FoxPro 5.0a Program that is running on a Network that
continues to crash when returning from particular reports.

The program I have has the option to view the report or sent the report to
the printer.  If the user chooses to view the report, then the report is
previewed to the user on the screen.  I have instructed the user to not use
the print feature from the preview window as if they do, then they print
hundreds of pages.  This is a filtered report and printing from the preview
window does not respect the filter that the report command was called with.
When the program returns from the preview, everything works well.

It is when the report is sent to the printer that everything falls apart.
When the report is sent to the printer, the user is prompted which printer
they want the report to go to.  The report prints fine; but when control is
given back to the Visual FoxPro executable file, I get the message that
Visual FoxPro has performed an illegal operation.

I have the same program loaded on the network in my office and when I run
the same report, I do not have a problem.

Some other information that might be helpful is that I went snooping around
at the Visual FoxPro Runtime files and found that the VFP500.DLL has
different dates on different machines at the site that I am having the
problem with.  Is this something that is normal, or should the VFP500.DLL
have the same date for all of the machines that the program is running on.

Thanks for your reply.
Robert

Wed, 25 Feb 2004 06:17:09 GMT
 Visual Fox Pro Application Crashing ...
Robert,

I've never worked with VFP5, but there were service packs and it sounds like
some machines have the DLL with the service packs applied and some don't.
I'd start by applying all the service packs for VFP5/Visual Studio 5 and
making sure that all the machines are up to date.

I think this is what you need:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/vstudio/sp/vs97/default.asp but as I say, I've
never used VFP5 (started with 6).

--
Cindy Winegarden  MCSD, Microsoft MVP

http://cindywinegarden.adsl.duke.edu

Quote:
> I have an Visual FoxPro 5.0a Program that is running on a Network that
> continues to crash when returning from particular reports.

> The program I have has the option to view the report or sent the report to
> the printer.  If the user chooses to view the report, then the report is
> previewed to the user on the screen.  I have instructed the user to not
use
> the print feature from the preview window as if they do, then they print
> hundreds of pages.  This is a filtered report and printing from the
preview
> window does not respect the filter that the report command was called
with.
> When the program returns from the preview, everything works well.

> It is when the report is sent to the printer that everything falls apart.
> When the report is sent to the printer, the user is prompted which printer
> they want the report to go to.  The report prints fine; but when control
is
> given back to the Visual FoxPro executable file, I get the message that
> Visual FoxPro has performed an illegal operation.

> I have the same program loaded on the network in my office and when I run
> the same report, I do not have a problem.

> Some other information that might be helpful is that I went snooping
around
> at the Visual FoxPro Runtime files and found that the VFP500.DLL has
> different dates on different machines at the site that I am having the
> problem with.  Is this something that is normal, or should the VFP500.DLL
> have the same date for all of the machines that the program is running on.

> Thanks for your reply.
> Robert

Thu, 26 Feb 2004 11:11:01 GMT
 Visual Fox Pro Application Crashing ...
Cindy,
Thanks for the reply; however, I ran into printing problems prior to the
problem that I am having now and each of the machines in question that is
having the described problem have the service pack installed that you
referenced.

I am in the process of upgrading the system to VFP 7.0 and I will see if
that fixes the problem.

Thanks again,
Robert

| Robert,
|
| I've never worked with VFP5, but there were service packs and it sounds
like
| some machines have the DLL with the service packs applied and some don't.
| I'd start by applying all the service packs for VFP5/Visual Studio 5 and
| making sure that all the machines are up to date.
|
| I think this is what you need:
| http://msdn.microsoft.com/vstudio/sp/vs97/default.asp but as I say, I've
| never used VFP5 (started with 6).
|
| --
| Cindy Winegarden  MCSD, Microsoft MVP

| http://cindywinegarden.adsl.duke.edu
|

| > I have an Visual FoxPro 5.0a Program that is running on a Network that
| > continues to crash when returning from particular reports.
| >
| > The program I have has the option to view the report or sent the report
| > the printer.  If the user chooses to view the report, then the report is
| > previewed to the user on the screen.  I have instructed the user to not
| use
| > the print feature from the preview window as if they do, then they print
| > hundreds of pages.  This is a filtered report and printing from the
| preview
| > window does not respect the filter that the report command was called
| with.
| > When the program returns from the preview, everything works well.
| >
| > It is when the report is sent to the printer that everything falls
apart.
| > When the report is sent to the printer, the user is prompted which
printer
| > they want the report to go to.  The report prints fine; but when control
| is
| > given back to the Visual FoxPro executable file, I get the message that
| > Visual FoxPro has performed an illegal operation.
| >
| > I have the same program loaded on the network in my office and when I
run
| > the same report, I do not have a problem.
| >
| > Some other information that might be helpful is that I went snooping
| around
| > at the Visual FoxPro Runtime files and found that the VFP500.DLL has
| > different dates on different machines at the site that I am having the
| > problem with.  Is this something that is normal, or should the
VFP500.DLL
| > have the same date for all of the machines that the program is running
on.

| > Thanks for your reply.
| > Robert

Tue, 02 Mar 2004 15:04:35 GMT

1. Fox Pro 2.6 A to Visual Fox Pro

2. Fox pro 2.6 to visual fox pro 6 or 7

3. Visual Basic or Visual Fox Pro

4. Visual Fox Pro upgrade from Visual Dbase

5. Visual Fox Pro vs Visual.Net

6. Visual Basic vs Visual Fox Pro

7. Fox 2.6a application to Visual fox 6.0

8. Are there any fox pro graphics applications?

9. Fox Pro application can develope any further?

10. FPW26, W98, Program Error when loading application or Fox Pro

11. Visual Lab-Pro Application

12. Visual Basic or Fox-Pro